Made from old water heater

I cut her out with a torch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      66.5 KB · Views: 372

Mr H

Banana'd
    If you are looking to build a permanent masonry fire ring, leave air intakes at the bottom. If you really want a healthy fire, build a grate so the fuel can breathe even more.

This is why I went with a commercial container for mine, and left the extra space around it.

Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that went with a river rock base to minimize the chance of ground fires.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    I bought one of these for my backyard and its worked great for cooking or general purpose fires! It comes with a grill top thats durable and easy to clean as well as a wire mesh cover and fire poker (both of which aren't the greatest product). Otherwise, just coated it with black rustoleum to prevent rust and its held up since Feb outside with a cover I bought for it on amazon.

Well worth ~$110

Great topic. None of these are mine, I don't have a fire pit, but would like one someday.

I like the idea of this, seeing the flames through the cutouts of the animals, very cool effect:

rustic-fire-pits.jpg

WarVet762

Dec 14, 2011
    VA
    I made this out of some stone I liberated from a mountainous region I frequent when camping. The trick is, if you don't want your pit to explode, use fire-resistant rocks. I know that's not a thing, but some rocks will explode/pop when exposed to sustained heat. When researching how to build one (I gave up on trying to cement/seal the thing. I just stacked the stones), it was mentioned to use a certain type of brick to surround the inner portion of the pit as to prevent pavers, cinder blocks, etc. from popping/cracking/exploding.

I forget what they're called, but it's something to look into if you don't have an abundance of "campfire/bonfire proven" rocks to work with.

Attachments

• FP_4.jpg
      FP_4.jpg
      71 KB · Views: 288
    • FP_2.jpg
      FP_2.jpg
      99.1 KB · Views: 288
    • FP_3.jpg
      FP_3.jpg
      110.7 KB · Views: 294
    • FP_5.jpg
      FP_5.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 292
    • FP_1.jpg
      FP_1.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 286

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Sandstone explodes but I forget how to identify it, I have an old wheel off a farm tractor that had convenient rust holes for air circulation - works great

Trek4Ward

Hooligan #10
    Mar 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I made this out of some stone I liberated from a mountainous region I frequent when camping. The trick is, if you don't want your pit to explode, use fire-resistant rocks. I know that's not a thing, but some rocks will explode/pop when exposed to sustained heat. When researching how to build one (I gave up on trying to cement/seal the thing. I just stacked the stones), it was mentioned to use a certain type of brick to surround the inner portion of the pit as to prevent pavers, cinder blocks, etc. from popping/cracking/exploding.

I forget what they're called, but it's something to look into if you don't have an abundance of "campfire/bonfire proven" rocks to work with.

Nice! I just came upon some similar stones that are larger than what you have. I plan to dig them in a little though rather than set them on top of the earth. I'll probably get to it this weekend, so I'll send some before/after photos.

Trek4Ward

Hooligan #10
    Mar 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Thanks all for your suggestions and examples. I decided to keep it rustic and simple and removed all the loose stones and replaced them with one layer of larger stones. I had forgotten how rocky the Garrett County soil was, so what you see took me more than 6 hours to do. Each stone varies in depth in the earth from 3" - 6", and I ended up unearthing 3 more wheel barrels full of smaller rocks in the process. The last pic was a novelty set I picked up that always gets a good laugh.

20160716_180851.jpg

20160716_180917.jpg

20160716_212636.jpg

16961.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom