• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Got a question for the trappers and fox hunters here.

Found a small dead yearling/fawn today. Something had covered part of it with leaves and sticks. I think we only have foxes in the area but I had only heard of this kind of actions from coyotes, wolves, or bears. Do foxes cover dead critters for later snacks?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Coyotes are everywhere.

I've been told there have been no confirmed sightings locally of coyotes.

Also been told if you have foxes, you won't have coyotes and if you don't have foxes you have coyotes as the coyotes don't like competition. I've got foxes everywhere.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Black bear

Several years ago a black bear in the area made the news. It was the only one and I doubt we have another.

I think from looking at the deer, it died while it was asleep and something covered part of it for a pile of food for later.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA

Also been told if you have foxes, you won't have coyotes and if you don't have foxes you have coyotes as the coyotes don't like competition. I've got foxes everywhere.

They may not like the competition but I have seen both on one of the properties I hunt. They are both there but they just avoid each other. It's like having an annoying loud mouth coworker, you just deal with each other.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And I thought it was about picking up women back in the '80s .

They may not particularly enjoy the competition, but there are both in my area. ( Meaning the 4 legged critters.)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Definitely both in Edgewater. Saw both types of fresh tracks in snow last year in the same yard.

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    They're brazen too.

Saw one last Saturday morning trotting down the middle of Edmund Street in Aberdeen like it owned the place. When the neighborhood dogs lit off, including my own, it pulled a U turn and disappeared into the wood line behind the elementary school.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Behavioral Similarity to felines
    Foxes hunt like cats—instead of hunting like their endurance hunter cousins, foxes are stealth hunters (foxes stalk and pounce like cats and sometimes play with their prey).
    Foxes hunt the same prey as cats.
    Foxes hunt in a solitary manner like cats (as opposed to the group hunting methods of other canids).
    Foxes kill their prey in a cat-like manner—most canids grab and shake their prey, but foxes use their long, slender (again, cat-like) canines to bite to kill.
    A fox's method of posturing (fur raised, back arched, stiff-legged prance, and batting pounce) is similar to a cat’s method.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    For years here if you shot a deer and could not find it that night and came back the next day and found it, it would have the back end eaten out. We have always assumed it was foxes. Now I don't know...it could be a coyote.

The deer I found the other day has been moved about 5-6 yards and nearly eaten and what is left has been covered with a few leaves and a couple of twigs.

I have read foxes will cache food and I think this may have happened here, but not completely sure.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    IMG_0429.jpg

FINALLY.

243hunter

Oct 26, 2012
    Illinois

The reason you don't have a high fox populations when you have coyotes is because fox is on the coyote's menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom