• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Well, I was born and raised in haaretz israel, and I have to say that here it's all bout the humidity, not so much the heat. I did some time in Korea and Thailand, and it was the same there, as well.

I'm still looking around for synagogues and gun ranges in the Baltimore area if anybody has any recommendations. I see the list that was given to me in by Dave MP but if there's any specific input as to which is the best to try to get the process rolling on my concealed carry permit that would be very helpful. Especially in these crazy times.

Make sure to check out Yesh, best falafel I’ve had outside of Israel (Sabra as well). https://www.yeshhummusandgrill.com/

If you’re downtown you’re not far from Pikesville, plenty of synagogues for all denominations though I’ve yet to find one that is for those of us that are secular.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Well, I was born and raised in haaretz israel, and I have to say that here it's all bout the humidity, not so much the heat. I did some time in Korea and Thailand, and it was the same there, as well.

I'm still looking around for synagogues and gun ranges in the Baltimore area if anybody has any recommendations. I see the list that was given to me in by Dave MP but if there's any specific input as to which is the best to try to get the process rolling on my concealed carry permit that would be very helpful. Especially in these crazy times.

Not sure what you know about Maryland, but it's not Shall Issue, (btw, that's the name of the gun rights org), so you aren't likely to get one unless you have a business that requires that kind of protection.

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown

I’m a part of chizuk Amuno in Pikesville. Ranges all depend of how far you wanna drive.

Jul 16, 2020
    Not sure what you know about Maryland, but it's not Shall Issue, (btw, that's the name of the gun rights org), so you aren't likely to get one unless you have a business that requires that kind of protection.

Without getting into too many details, I think I already have some qualifying conditions according to MD law that will provide justification for the permit. I'm a bit of a legal and bureaucratic wrangler, I think it'll work out. I should say I have high hopes it will work out. For the $100 or so in admin and processing fees it's a dice throw I'm willing to take.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys. The wife and I just got back from the beach out on the eastern shore and I have to say we're not really built for this heat (or the traffic!) and I'm thinking it's going to be wiser to start going into the mountains for camping during the hottest parts of summer.

This weekend was exceptionally bad (mainly bc of the dew point) so it’s not always this way. I’ve been running at noon most days in spite if heat but I went out for a little over an hour in the woods yesterday morning and I still don’t feel like I’ve recovered. Welcome to the forum btw.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    And Westminster isn’t a bad drive from bmore - I live in Montgomery Co and have a membership at a rockville indoor range, but I’ve driven up to meet friends at Hap Baker which I thought was great. They have a 200-yd rifle range and separate pistol range. Not a place you’ll want to visit at high noon in summer though.

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    And Westminster isn’t a bad drive from bmore - I live in Montgomery Co and have a membership at a rockville indoor range, but I’ve driven up to meet friends at Hap Baker which I thought was great. They have a 200-yd rifle range and separate pistol range. Not a place you’ll want to visit at high noon in summer though.

I definitely wanna go there. Use to live 5 minutes from it.

I wanna find a range I can smoke a cigar while shooting though.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I definitely wanna go there. Use to live 5 minutes from it.

I wanna find a range I can smoke a cigar while shooting though.

I’m not sure about the cigar policy - oddly enough since getting back into guns I’ve felt an urge to smoke a cigar while drinking a bourbon on my deck, must be some connection like the effects of a testosterone boost. Even better if you announce your arrival at the range with “Dillon, you son of a bitch!”

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    I’m not sure about the cigar policy - oddly enough since getting back into guns I’ve felt an urge to smoke a cigar while drinking a bourbon on my deck, must be some connection like the effects of a testosterone boost. Even better if you announce your arrival at the range with “Dillon, you son of a bitch!”

Happs baker has a no smoking policy at the bench. It definitely has a connection But it’s so relaxing.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Make sure to check out Yesh, best falafel I’ve had outside of Israel (Sabra as well). https://www.yeshhummusandgrill.com/

If you’re downtown you’re not far from Pikesville, plenty of synagogues for all denominations though I’ve yet to find one that is for those of us that are secular.

Whoa - just came across this. I will have to check Yesh out.

Up until now the only falafel and Schwarma I have found to be solid is at Max's in Wheaton.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Happ Baker is a great facility for what it is, but if you want to shoot rifles on weekends, I highly suggest getting there no later than 9:30AM or you are in for a solid wait (think 2-3 hours). The benefit is it's $20 for non residents, $5 off for veterans or service members, but no time limit. I have literally stayed there by myself from open to close at 4pm with no pressure to finish up. For rifles though, it's really set up for target practice/ sighting in. Not good for much else - 2 second shot minimum, must keep muzzle in this box thing the entire time, etc.

At the recommendation of Ammo Jon I checked out Guntry yesterday. It's expensive for non members $50 for an hour, but a membership is $49 per month. They've got amazing ranges and also 50 yard and 100 yard target cams. Plus you can rip as many rounds down range as your finger can handle, safe handling and techniques of course. What I really liked is they had ammo to sell and at totally reasonable prices. I can think of one other range in my area that charges 2x what ammo should be.

Continental Arms or On Target are prob the closes pistol ranges to downtown Baltimore. I've come to know the folks at Continental so they treat me great, but others have had different experiences. The owner of On Target means well but is a total absolute jerk, and his prices are the worst i've seen. After seeing how On Target treated two first time shooters inquiring about lane time and renting a firearm, I'll never go back.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Welcome to Merry-Land....you're a "BRAVE" soul. Hope your stay in Ball-Mer is peaceful.

Re: ranges. There are many, from the high end "Guntry" in Owings Mills to many smaller ranges such as Continental Arms in Timonium, and Freestate in Middle River and several more.

BTW, all ranges at the indoor "Guntry" are air conditioned. The 25 yrd. pistol ranges are $25/hr. for non-members and the (5) 100 yrd ranges are $50/hr. non-member. With most, if not all ranges, a reservation is needed.

The problem nowadays is that I hate to use up my valuable stock of ammo. A $hit-storm is on the horizon!!!!!!!!!!!!

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I got a membership for guntry. Definitely recommend it. Ammo was expensive when I went. They wanted $23 for a box of 9mm. But then again another shop wanted $35 so it is kinda cheaper.

9mm is outpacing 5.56 and most other cartridges because of popularity, creating a disproportionate amount of demand.

yesterday they had a box of 20 American Eagle 5.56 for $11.99. Fair for current state of affairs I think. I always bring by own and buy in bulk, though.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Even member price at Gilbert for 9mm is approaching $20/box, things is crazy now. It was about 13 when I joined a couple months ago. And regarding Hap Baker, that 2 second rule was annoying on the pistol range. I admittedly pushed it a bit but I think I stayed with the spirit of the rule by not squeezing off shots as fast as I could.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I got a membership for guntry. Definitely recommend it. Ammo was expensive when I went. They wanted $23 for a box of 9mm. But then again another shop wanted $35 so it is kinda cheaper.

Ammo is so expensive I’m shooting 22LR exclusively. Expect it to get worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom