• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darth_libra

Jul 23, 2020
    California, MD
    Good Morning All,

To start, I am James, and I recently moved here to St. Mary's County last July after retiring from the US Army. Between Boy Scouts when I was younger and the Army, I am familiar with firearms and I am looking to get into this hobby, as well as prepare for home defense and maybe the worst if things continue to spiral down.

I currently do not own any weapons, but I am looking to purchase a handgun as well as a rifle, as I stated, as home defense but also as recreational shooting.

I am still somewhat confused as to some of the statutes regarding long rifles, so I hope to increase my knowledge and work with more experienced members so I can safely enter this hobby and also enjoy it fully.

For a rifle, I am looking at several models from various manufacturers, in caliber .300 AAC Blackout. Here are a few that I am looking at, and wish to find out if they would be compliant here in MD:

Sig-Sauer MCX Virtus Patrol https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-mcx-virtus-patrol.html

Dark Storm Industries DS-15 Typhoon Standard https://www.dark-storm.com/dsi/ds-15/ds-15-typhoon-rifles/dark-storm-ds-15-typhoon-standard-.300-blackout-rifle-fde/

Wilson Combat Protector Carbine https://www.wilsoncombat.com/300-blackout-protector-carbine-wfa/

Wilson Combat Recon SR Tactical with 16" barrel https://www.wilsoncombat.com/recon-sr-tactical/

I am still shopping around for handguns, I ended up getting focused on the rifle, LOL. If anyone has advice, suggestions, or can point me in a good direction to head, I would appreciate it. Please PM me with this information so I can keep better track. Thank you and nice meeting everyone!

James

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    welcome. Mechanicsville area here.

Anything on your wish list is fine. If you stay out of .223/556 the only things to be concerned with are the overall length and features test which most firearms will qualify anyways. Many good FFL's in the area if you have not already noticed them.

darth_libra

Jul 23, 2020
    California, MD
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses so far! Just to clarify, after looking at the list of banned/regulated weapons on the MSP site, the model (RMCX-300B-16B-TAP-P) of Sig-Sauer I was looking at seems to be banned because it is considered a copycat, even in .300 BLK, so I guess I'm still a little confused as to how that works, but whatever, I'm not going to argue the semantics of it, it just doesn't seem worth it to me, and I won't be heartbroken if I don't get a Sig rifle right now. Thanks again everyone!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for having the courtesy to introduce yourself.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Take a look at these helpful links – LOTS of amazing info!

FORUM RULES
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    Range Etiquette and Staying Safe

Admin News and Announcements

Gun Rights and Legislation

Industry Partners

MD Shooters Firearms Map

Acronym list[/FONT]

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    My last duty station in the Navy was NAS Pax River so I’m familiar with your beautiful county. Welcome to the forum and thanks for your lengthy service in the Army. Good luck filling up your weapons locker. Lots of good info available here.

VulgarDisplay

Feb 25, 2019
    St. Marys
    Welcome to St Marys. I live right in California myself and also moved to the area last year in June. I agree that MD's gun laws are a little confusing.

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Welcome to the county. It's a wonderful place! Take advantage of our waterways. You don't have to have an expensive boat to explore creeks.

The easiest way to avoid breaking laws is to purchase from a reputable Maryland dealer. Really the only issue is you need a heavy barrel at least 16" long. You also might be better able to take full advantage of your military firearm experience if you stick with the familiar conventional AR-15 for your first foray into civilian ownership. Just my two cents. The one thing I have heard about .300 Blackout is you always have to be aware of not mixing up that gear with .223 because the larger round will chamber.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Welcome neighbor! I think those rifles are all fine. Lots of good shops in the area to help you get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom