Griffin Armament Revolution 9 - thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am considering a 9mm can primarily for a PCC setup, what do you guys think of the Griffin Armament Revolution 9?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I am considering a 9mm can primarily for a PCC setup, what do you guys think of the Griffin Armament Revolution 9?
    Is it going to be used on on a pistol as well, or dedicated 9mm PCC? Among the griffin lineup, the optimus and bushwhacker are getting baffle updates and are great choices if you don’t care much about actual pistol use. Here’s a video Griffin did comparing their pistol can to a couple other options:

https://youtu.be/aN6eop1gczo

Griffin makes a great can, and is more innovative than they get credit for. They just previewed a mini trilug piston QD setup for handguns that is pretty slick. Times past it was easy to suggest Dead Air Wolfman for dedicated PCC use, but Dead Air is having trouble keeping any wolfman accessories in stock, so I hope you are fine with direct thread only (no keymicro or trilug adapters).

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I was thinking PCC; so you can't use a trilug on a Rev 9?
    You can use trilug if you buy the adapter, just like any of their other pistol rated cans. The only thing that would make me hesitant to use that can for PCC is that it is partially aluminum. Not really a big deal for strength, but it does limit your cleaning options slightly.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If I were picking a can for a PCC, my primary goal would be to find something short and fat. Candidates would be stuff like the Dead Air Wolf(man)(SD), Bowers Vers 9, or even the SiCo Omega 36M.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a Griffin Optimus, and have their new Xplorr in NFA jail, good cans and I love the taper mount and 3 lug setups, have shot the Rev and Resistance 9s, but not really a fan of those 2. I do really like the Rugged Obsidian 9. Both are tough 1 3/8" (std pistol diameter) cans with aluminum tubes and serviceable/keyed steel baffles, both have low-pro direct thread and 3 lug mounts in addition the the Neilson device and pistons. The griffin Rev is about 6" and 9.7oz in K, 7.6" /11.2oz in full and $716 silencershop price. The Rugged is 4.85" 8.7oz, K 7.8" 12.7 oz full and $599. Silencershop rated the griffin at 125db pistol/full, and 128db pistol/K . The rugged is 120db pistol/full and 136db pistol/K. The Griffin can is rated for FA 9mm and 5-7 rounds of full power 300BO or 5.56, the Rugged is also FA rated for 9mm, but only up to 300BO subsonics. The Griffin can really only has a "K and 1/2" short configuration, a little shorter, a little louder than fullsize, but not the true K config of the Rugged can(still hearing safe on a pistol), and the rugged can outperforms the Griffin in fullsize config. The Rugged is stupid quiet in full size on a carbine, and the smaller K config is smaller/lighter, it's a newer design, only real benefit of the Griffin is it's limited use on rifle cals. You could go short/fat, ala a Wolfman, better rifle cal ratings as it's essentially a rifle can, but while gaining essentially a quieter "K" length it will block supressor height sights if used on a pistol down the road, and it's welded, so can't clean it if you use it with hardcast or dirty ammo.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You could go short/fat, ala a Wolfman, better rifle cal ratings as it's essentially a rifle can, but while gaining essentially a quieter "K" length it will block supressor height sights if used on a pistol down the road, and it's welded, so can't clean it if you use it with hardcast or dirty ammo.
    The simple fact is that the qualities that make for a good PCC/subgun can are not the same as what make for a good pistol can. Given that suppressors on pistols are not all that great for serious use, why not optimize for rifles and just accept that the experience will be slightly more imperfect on a pistol? That's my thought process, anyways.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The simple fact is that the qualities that make for a good PCC/subgun can are not the same as what make for a good pistol can. Given that suppressors on pistols are not all that great for serious use, why not optimize for rifles and just accept that the experience will be slightly more imperfect on a pistol? That's my thought process, anyways.
    Agree. There are very few serious uses for pistol cans. That’s why I own a couple universal cans that can be used on pistols or rifles. I do have a Gemtech Aurora II in jail, but that was purchased for fun.

Anyway, if the OP does happen to want to shoot a lot of pistols suppressed and wants something that will work okay for a PCC, the Revolution 9 is fine. But if you want something primarily for a PCC, get something PCC specific.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

I did with my Optimus, nice to have an all-steel can that I can swap between PCCs and rifles and it barely gets warm with 32rd 9mm mag dumps. I would be leery of a welded 9mm can though, pistol ammo is dirty, and epoxy or cast are even worse. If I bring a rifle to the range, I shoot it last, to help blow out fouling from my PCCs. Have taken my cans apart after 1K plated and epoxy 9mm and where a rifle can would just have a thin layer of soot, this 9mm usually doesn't "self-clean" and it builds up thick. A minor detail, but for me, I like to run long handguards with the can partially insisde them, no problem with a 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" can, but DA loves those thick 1 3/4" cans that usually won't fit. As far as performance, a PCC is usually quieter than a handgun, obviously longer, but can have a lot of blowback, so IMO the lower backpressure and smaller size of the K cans, and modular pistol cans is a huge benefit shared with the short/fat 9mm rifle cans, without some of the drawbacks. IMO there are pistol cans, rifle cans, and a lot of grey inbetween, where modular steel rifle cans like the Optimus and Wolfman would probably be better on a subgun, or if you want to swap between AR9 and AR15 carbines, with no real need for pistol use. The Obsidian and Rev are better when swapping between semi-auto PCCs and pistols, and don't care about rifle cal use. The Obsidian I shot did get hot faster on my AR9 than my Optimus, but it wasn't hateful, and the Aluminum tube is shielded fairly well by the steel end caps/mounts and baffles, so IMO the "durability" advantage of steel cans is more with hitting stuff and denting the exterior than fouling or burning out the interior of the tube.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Wouldn't worry about the tube being Aluminum, the baffles, mounts, caps, pistons, sleeve etc are all steel, contain 99% of the fouling, and can be cleaned any number of ways. no real benefit to the added cost of Ti or weight of steel on a can till you want full power rifle ratings. The tube itself might get a little bit of powder fouling leaking between baffles, especially if the mount and caps aren't kept tight, but that comes out easily with a nylon brush in a drill, or most of the time just pulling a paper towel through it, pretty much all I ever do to shielded tubes. Aluminum baffles suck being you are really limited on cleaning methods that won't eat or scratch aluminum, but most cans have moved away from them, Rugged included.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thanks for all the input; looks like I can't get the Obsidian 9 right now (does not seem to be available), but I think I have the info I need for now at least.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I want to say one thing that kind of ticks me off; I have a Rugged Radiant in jail; how hard would it have been for Rugged to have made it 9mm capable? If I had had enough foresight I could have got another rifle can instead that could have worked on a 9mm PCC.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I am not sure blaming the manufacturer for that makes much sense here. Henry Graham is a pretty smart dude, so I am sure Rugged would have done so if they could make it work. Typically when a company makes the bore aperture wide enough for 9mm then the 5.56 and .308 performance is degraded quite a bit. Or the can has to be much bigger than is preferable. That is why you have light weight pistol cans, heavy duty rifle cans, and a lot of in between stuff. If you want a do all can then buy something like a Griffin Armament Optimus, GA Bushwacker, Silencerco Omega 36m, Sico Hybrid, etc. All great cans, but all have some compromises built in. I think Torrent Suppressors has titanium 9mm cans that are rated for centerfire rifle rounds, but it looks like their owner made some bad social media choices and got their stuff removed from Silencer Shop.

Or go with these guys:

https://rexsilentium.com/RIFLE-Silencers-c28138007

Or wait a few weeks and try to get in on a YHM R9. Or get a Dead Air Wolfman. Lots of products out there that will do what you want. It’s just that the Rugged Obsidian and Griffin Rev are pistol cans, not rifle cans. Nothing wrong with that, but there is give and take in everything.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    Jail sucks. I have a YHM Turbo2 sitting in jail for an AR. While I am waiting, I decided to do a form 1 home build for a 9mm Banshee with a 5" barrel. With subsonic, it is very quiet and completely hearing safe. Regular loads I "can" shoot without earpro but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Jail sucks. I have a YHM Turbo2 sitting in jail for an AR. While I am waiting, I decided to do a form 1 home build for a 9mm Banshee with a 5" barrel. With subsonic, it is very quiet and completely hearing safe. Regular loads I "can" shoot without earpro but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis.
    There is a minimum OAL floor of 29" for centerfire SBRs in MD. Your 5" Banshee will not make it unless you are going to pin and weld that Turbo2.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There is a minimum OAL floor of 29" for centerfire SBRs in MD. Your 5" Banshee will not make it unless you are going to pin and weld that Turbo2.

Won't get approved by ATF I think. At least I have heard of Maryland applicants being denied by ATF because their center fire Form 1 SBR was less than 29" OAL.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Won't get approved by ATF I think. At least I have heard of Maryland applicants being denied by ATF because their center fire Form 1 SBR was less than 29" OAL.
    Correct. It will be denied. Had this happen to a friend who thought he was so much smarter than me and tried to form 1 a Glock... wah wah, denied.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD

The Turbo2 is going to be on a 5.56 AR15.
    The home built form 1 suppressor is on the 9mm Banshee and I do not plan to SBR it.
    Sorry for the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom