• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    This US Springfield was given to me about 30 yrs ago when my great uncle died.
    I don't know anything about trapdoors.
    US Springfield
    model 1884
    photos of rifle and markings found...please tell me what you know/think. Thanks.
    Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Look inside the chamber! Some were de-milled by using a torch and burning a hole through the bottom of the chamber!!! Outside they look fine, but are unusable.

Good luck

Jerry

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    As it happens, I inherited an old trapdoor myself. While searching the web about it I found some info about modern vs. period ammo for it. Basically, I learned that modern 45-70 ammo is loaded so as not to exceed the acceptable pressures for these old guns. Something about liability concerns from the ammo manufacturers due to the fact that a lot of these are still around. I dont recall where I read this and I'm not telling you to try it but the liability angle kinda made sense to me. I bought some Hornady Leverrevolution 45-70 ammo for it once when taking to my property in PA for a fun shoot afternoon. However I ended up using the "period" ammo I also had. I never used the modern stuff but likely will in the future. If I survive I'll post up about it.

I admit, It scared the bejesus outta me the first time I pulled the trigger on this old gun but I'm glad I did - It wasn't doing anyone any good just sitting in the safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom