• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    No, .38 super is a totally different cartridge. More like 9mm +p++. It's not a rimmed case like .38spl.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    38 super automatic, basically a higher pressure version of the 38ACP. Actually pre-dates the 357mag by a few years. Pretty cool round, uses 9mm diameter bullets with a 23mm lomg semi-rimmed case, original load was 130gr@1300fps. I've pushed 124gr bullets to 1500fps. The rounds require a 45/10mm length action, but can offer 9mm capacity, can top 357 sig, especially with heavy bullets. Most factory loads are really light, basically 9mm velocities, most all brass is +P marked. Supposedly lots of blown up 38ACP pistols when it was first introduced, and part of the reason they added 1/8" to the length of 357mag to prevent the same issue in 38 revolvers.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    "factory" 38 super is actually somewhat anemic, even the so-called +p varieties. the sig ammo you referenced is only doing 1230fps. 357mag in the same bullet weight is doing 1440. 357 sig is doing 1350.

the only really "hot" 38 super loads i've seen are what the uspsa open division shooters use, such as atlanta arms (1380fps) though most reload.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Don't forget 9x23mm, another version of 38 Super but with a different case dimension and taper but the same 23mm case length. Another primarily race gun caliber. Winchester factory loads run about 1450 FPS with a 124g Silvertip or JSP bullet.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Winchester loaded the 9x23 and Colt made a run of 1911's to shoot it. I'm guessing the guns are little more than odd collectibles now, as is the ammunition. I'm not aware of any other gunmaker who made pistols in that caliber.

It's nothing more than a footnote in gun history.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Aren't most open shooters using 9mm major? I thought .38super was dying out.

Jul 1, 2012
    I guess you haven't ever been to a USPSA match.

I think he's talking about the 9x23 Steyr, not the .38 Super.

Winchester loaded the 9x23 and Colt made a run of 1911's to shoot it. I'm guessing the guns are little more than odd collectibles now, as is the ammunition. I'm not aware of any other gunmaker who made pistols in that caliber.

Is this the one you mean? I'd never even heard of it til I saw this on a dealer's website.

Attachments

• 1911 steyr.JPG
      1911 steyr.JPG
      38.2 KB · Views: 166

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

38 super had awesome ballistics, but early models headspaced on the tiny semi-rim, so they were horribly inaccurate. It was soon remedied by headspacing on the mouth like most other auto calibers, but never really got all that popular till the resurgence in competition. Then the only issue was feeding, 38 super comp just basically shaved the rim to make it rimless, 9x23 win was basically 9x23 comp with a 55,000psi SAAMI spec. Swapping to super comp usually just needed an extractor adjustment, 9x23 could be fired out of super barrels, but technically required a barrel swap to safely shoot full SAAMI pressure ammo. When technology and rules ended up allowing major power factor with standard 9x19 chamberings the 9x23 choices died quick. It's a shame too, being for other purposes it offers a flat shooting, moderate recoil, high capacity 3rd option for 10/45 frame pistols. The ballistics can offer 357 mag performance, but with capacity on par with 9mm pistols, the larger frames tend to fit big hands well. I still load and shoot mine regularly, would love more factory options in 9x23 pistols.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

True. But the reason I had a gunsmith built me a 9x23mm STI back in 2010 was because I was already shooting an Israeli Bul M-5 IPSC L10 in 9x23mm. Also last year the Dan Wesson 9mm Guardian 1911 I bought came with an extra barrel, guiderod, recoil spring, and magazines for 9x23mm.
    The good thing about 9 Major is the shorter case cycles slightly faster than 38 Super/9x23.
    The bad thing is there is only a limited number of powder and bullet combos that can make 9 Major. You get a lot more flexibility when using the longer cased calibers. Also no one sells 9 Major ammo I think because its above the SAAMI table of pressure for 9mm. Likely no issue using that in an STI but it might not survive shooting in a Browning Hi-Power and anything lighter. I can buy Euro-spec 9mm NATO, which in this case is 161 PF (124g @ 1299 fps)(maybe SMG ammo) but I limit which guns I use it in and what recoil spring.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    9mm Steyr and 9mm Largo both use the longer case (22.86-23mm) but were designed earlier and can't handle the high pressure loads of the modern rounds. I understand that 9mm Largo will fire and maybe cycle in a 9x23 caliber gun, but the actual performance of the load is lower than the 9mm Parabellum (9x19). To make a lower performance 9x23mm load (9x19 equivalent) for my Bul M-5 I had to drop from Major PF of 175 (9g AC) to 125 (5.3g Unique) and drop the recoil spring from 12# to 9#

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think he's talking about the 9x23 Steyr, not the .38 Super.

He only stated 9x23.

And 9x23 is shot by a lot of USPSA shooters.

Maybe 9x23 Steyr is not common.

Jul 1, 2012
    My bad, because of that 1911 I confused the 9x23 Steyr with the modern 9x23 "Winchester" that is more commonly used.
    Too many 9x23 variations :)
    I'm familiar with the old stuff but not new (throw in a Bergmann-Bayard designation, etc to add to confusion)

As an aside the Colt 1911 in 9m/m Steyr is pretty rare, turns out 1000 made for the Italian market and another 100 or so sold in the US from leftovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom