• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I believe I am done buying rifles - I finally have all the ones I have wanted over the years.

After I bought a Colt 6721 police trade-in off Gary at High Rock Outfitters I fell in love with it. Chad did a complete service on the used Colt and other than a worn out gas tube he declared it serviceable but as he worked on it, he kind of went over what makes a Colt a Colt and the differences between it and other brands. He wasn't intentionally trying to convince me that Colt was the way to go with ARs but that is essentially what he did.

Late last week United Gun Shop posted that he had some in stock and then someone posted that they were having a hard time finding one followed by South Carroll Sporting Goods mentioning they would have one at the Frederick gun show.

I decided to just get it over with and go get one. The gun show opened at 9 and United opened at 1100 and since I needed to be back home for something by noon, I went to the Frederick gun show and picked one up from Brian at South Carroll Sporting Goods for a very fair price.

While I was at the gun show I picked up a full set of Magpul furniture for it and tried to buy an EO Tech for it but couldn't find anyone there selling any.

Now that I have this new one, I believe am am done with rifles. I have a Rock River with all the trinkets - Aimpoint PRO, Magpul furniture, Surefire light, Colt BCG, BCM charging handle and Gen III sling. The 17 year old police trade-in Colt with the restricted roll mark which is staying 100% original and my favorite - a Mini-14 :)

Attachments

• New Colt 1.jpg
      New Colt 1.jpg
      44.1 KB · Views: 934
    • Slide1.jpg
      Slide1.jpg
      51.8 KB · Views: 936
    • All Rifiles.jpg
      All Rifiles.jpg
      53.3 KB · Views: 944

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    Good luck stopping. I keep saying the same thing but always end up finding something else I want. I'm pretty good on ARs at the moment but the CZ Scorpion really has my attention lately.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Good luck stopping. I keep saying the same thing but always end up finding something else I want. I'm pretty good on ARs at the moment but the CZ Scorpion really has my attention lately.

Yeah, NO. ;)

You haven't one com-bloc rifle yet. You need some commie guns.

Trust me. AK, SKS, VZ.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, you at least need a 5.56 bolt action rifle. Maybe with a longer barrel. Something to shoot nice and slow and methodical so you can be sure not to go through ammo too fast. :-)

And certainly a heavier caliber if you ever want to hurt something. A .30 cal is a good caliber for that. Probably a semi and a bolt action in .308. And maybe the same in .30-06 at some point. I mean, it was THE best American deer cartridge and still pretty darned good. That gets you a garand and a 1903. Let's face it, you aren't a real American until you have one of every rifle Americans have gone to war with.

So a m1a if you aren't in MD. 1903. Garand. AR-15. Krag. Could go further back if you really bleed red white and blue.

Then a really heavier caliber in case it can't be killed with a .30-06. Never know when Wookiees riding moose might invade from Canada. So something in .338LM isn't a bad idea eventually. Or maybe .50BMG.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    If you are done buying rifles where are the other 50 or so guns? I almost wish I could settle for that number. I find stuff in the back of the safe that I forgot I even had sometimes. I do respect your simplicity of caliber. Ammo organization becomes crazy when you start to acquire oddball calibers.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I've kept my reloading to .380,9mm,.38/.357,44 mag,.45,.223,.308 and 30-06 and of course 12ga I acquired a Mauser in .243 with the hopes of converting to a .308 after I shot it I thought I would save it for the wife since it has reduced recoil, but she would rather shoot the .308 bolt gun. It's reduced the number of dies and the types of ammo I need to stockpile. After the attrition of stuck case extractor, SB sizes Neck sizes, primer pocket expander and bullet puller set for the above calibers all of this can fit on a CD Holder shelf. I will not bite for other calibers this also keeps the powder selection down. I still use 3031 in the bolt because it's dead accurate. When I has my 2500 sq ft house in MD I now have 1350 sq ft I knew I would retire to a smaller place. Thank god I have a 28x24 garage. I donated a ton of crap and still have a boatload of crap. Btw I have everything in post 12
    If one has the space collect until you need another safe.

Last edited:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nice Colt. That seems worth going to the show for! Need to pickup for myself along with a military only one. Just so many more pistols I want to pickup. Manly 9mm and 45acp. Don't want too much of a spread on ammo calibers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom