• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    would be nice to see federal 525 count bricks or 550, whatever they were. I haven't seen them in so long I cant remember.

I have bought a LOT of them over the past year.

5 last month, and did not order two other times they were available.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I still have some .22 from the case I bought way back when Mountainside Supply went out of business, even after I gave half of it to a buddy!

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    I think part of the issue is we've all gotten into the habit of buying $20.00-$30.00 worth of whatever we see, the second we see it, regardless of need. I know I'm guilty of that.

Now out of habit we're all conditioned to buy the stuff up, while complaining it's in short supply. Kinda makes for a mean circle.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think part of the issue is we've all gotten into the habit of buying $20.00-$30.00 worth of whatever we see, the second we see it, regardless of need. I know I'm guilty of that.

Now out of habit we're all conditioned to buy the stuff up, while complaining it's in short supply. Kinda makes for a mean circle.

I was/is only because i just got in to shooting and hunting so I and literally nothing a few months ago. Now I just keep an eye out for "quality" 22lr, like minimags and federal gameshok stuff. Even there, I've got about 700rnds of what I'd consider nice 22lr and 700rnds of the "whatever" 22lr. I don't really go out of my way looking for either, but at present I am maybe hitting the range once a month if that and shooting maybe 100rnds from my 22 when I go. I don't want to run dry, but I also know if I run low on the cheap stuff, I am a $50-60 internet order away from a brick, even if that is more than I want to pay, a brick is still probably 6+ months of periodic entertainment for me.

Sure, if/when things become a lot more commonand maybe cheap, I'd love to stock 4-5 bricks of something like the minimags and use just that and replenish when occasionally drop around 1,000rnds, but I am in no all fired hurry.

My issue is I should be picking up my first centerfire this weekend and I am getting "all the ammo I have" for it according to my wife's uncle which is only about 80rnds of mixed ammo. Which seems like NOTHING. Especially since it needs to be sighted in, figure out what ammo works well in it, etc (I realize centerfires are not nearly as picky as 22lr). Seems like one good range session will shoot through most of that trying to figure it all out (even if in the future a typical range session might be 20-30rnds through the .308 and a few boxes of 22lr).

I am not SHTF prepper, but I also don't want to have to buy ammo every one or two times I want to go to the range of because hunting season is starting up. 60-80rnds of what works well for hunting and 100-200rnds of "cheap" stuff for the range seems like way more than enough...but soooo much more expensive to get there.

Ideally I'd love to be making an order a year from, say, Graf's and maybe a second holiday order when Cabela's or whomever has some nice Black Friday/holiday deals and free shipping.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I was thinking about this recently and looking at my own ammo buying behavior it's easy to see where all the ammo has gone. I used to swing by Wally World and grab a brick of .22 if I was going out to shoot rim fire and when the ammo 'crisis' hit I would often buy all I could afford so that when I wanted to shoot the ammo was there. Many people are still doing this with some folks hoarding enough to live out the end of times. As this behavior subsides we will see regular stock levels again. What's interesting is that we will now have more ammo coming to the market which could drive prices way down as we are seeing with gasoline right now. A glut of .22 ammo could see manufacturers offering dirt cheap ammo in the future which I would love.
    I think this is very accurate... I know I put up way more than I ever have before the craze really hit, it was pretty obvious what was going to happen, along with some other gun related areas. I quit buying when it went over .05/rd and have enough to hopefully hold me til the supply catches up with the demand and the prices come back down again.

It is easy to see where many have bought 5-10 times or more than 'a brick when I wanna go shooting' due to the availability for so long now... that all adds up quickly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom