• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Oh, and if I replace the BCGs with the unshrouded firing pin, swap th bolt over to use the same bolt in the same upper?

I know they SHOULD headspace OK, but until I spring for some gauges, it seems prudent to swap the bolts.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    This is a notched hammer -

View attachment 126926

Only beneficial if you have a fun switch in the receiver, otherwise dump it.

Headspace is set on the relation of the bolt itself and the barrel/barrel extension. Just swapping the bolt over to a new carrier is fine, won't change headspace as long as you put the original bolt back in.

Last edited:

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I thought this (right) was a notched hammer:
    images

And Brad's pic above was a burst (M16) hammer.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hmm, maybe we're both right??

Although it wouldn't be the first or last time I've been wrong...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I thought this (right) was a notched hammer:
    images

As far as my reference that is correct. The one on the right is notched. Some aftermarket ones are notched there too and they all suck in my experience.

You want something rounded like the one on the left, the one pinecone posted, or the one Bradmacc posted (have to remove the auto sear hook on the rear for semi auto guns though because unmodified M16 fire control parts are ano-no on a title 1 weapon without a rdias).

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Correct. Changing a Carrier should not change head space on an AR. Swapping the bolt head changes headspace.

Everyone should have headspace gauges for their blasters. AR headspace does go bad and the gauge will tell you. A field gauge will tell you if its unsafe. You do have to remove the ejector and extractor to get a proper read though.

When you swap Bolt heads or barrels, always check headspace.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Correct. Changing a Carrier should not change head space on an AR. Swapping the bolt head changes headspace.

Everyone should have headspace gauges for their blasters. AR headspace does go bad and the gauge will tell you. A field gauge will tell you if its unsafe. You do have to remove the ejector and extractor to get a proper read though.

When you swap Bolt heads or barrels, always check headspace.

I have 'go' and 'no go' gauges for 5.56, do I need to pick up a field gauge as well?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, so the "notch" is at the point of the hammer that rides on the bold carrier. I have not seen one like that. Or at least did not notice it. I will have to check the ones I have removed.

EDIT------- Checked, and the stock Colt hammers (removed for Geisseles) are notched. But currently, none of mine have notched hammers. Just neutered bolt carriers.

Here is a little bit better picture, the one marked AR-15 is the notched version:

Attachments

• hammer notch.gif
      hammer notch.gif
      9.8 KB · Views: 152

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW, the picture is not complete. There is also the Colt neutered with the unshrouded firing pin. A combination of #2 (unshrouded firing pin) and #4 (neutered back end).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, supposedly should not work. But if it does, great.

I had Specialized Armament mill the top and front part off the sear bloclk. Also machine and installed normal front pivot pin.

I should have it back middle of this coming week, I will post pics and experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom