• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Try to escape being a knucklehead by explaining what you see in a manner that is not extremely condescending and people will pay attention to what you say and actually learn what you have to share. I got through the first few sentences of your post and then just skipped the rest. You may be right but I didn't learn anything from you because your tone was completely douchey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect sir, concepts like "tone" and "condescension" are inherently difficult to correctly determine in the context of printed text. It's a well known and a long standing flaw inherent to the medium.

I've been on this forum for only 15 months, but I'm not a novice with either firearms or reloading. While I've never personally met the man you make mention of, I can offer some observations on his posts.

1. When this man opens his mouth, he's going to have something worthwhile to say.
    2. There are few if any here in my admittedly limited experience on this forum who can match much less exceed this man's knowledge.
    3. I perceive this man to be (above all else) a teacher at heart, and a teacher of a subject matter that he has both a great deal of knowledge of and an even greater amount of passion for.

The man attempted to illustrate and indeed showed a clear distinction between the Op's original issue and a comparative photo of what a case would look like that is likely in my opinion one firing away from an incipient case head separation. The distinction between the two cartridge case conditions is indeed apples and oranges.

This guy is no condescending douche sir. More and most importantly, he's no pretender either. Listen and perhaps learn---or not---as you see fit. That's your choice.

One man's opinion, for what it's worth to you.

Last edited:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Just a thought, here........

Mr. Shell is a highly respected man and member of this forum.

In no shape, fashion or manner, does he give the appearnce or indication of being 'a knucklehead'.

The man is VERY well versed in shooting and reloading.

I strongly suggest that you take a step back, read again, and absorb as much as you can, from E. Shell.

Coming into the forum and starting the name-calling won't endear you to very many people, here.

I don't care if a member of this form is respected or not. When people ask for advice and post comments, they are entitled to be treated as human beings. This forum is for helping each other. When you post in a condescending manner or tell someone they're stupid or ignorant, you are going to get a response. There is no need on this forum or anywhere else to treat people as if they're stupid or accurate. You can be the most knowledgeable person in the world, but that doesn't mean you need to talk down to people. Let's just chalk this one up to I misunderstood his tone. Continue with the discussions.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I don't care if a member of this form is respected or not. When people ask for advice and post comments, they are entitled to be treated as human beings. This forum is for helping each other. When you post in a condescending manner or tell someone they're stupid or ignorant, you are going to get a response.There is no need on this forum or anywhere else to treat people as if they're stupid or accurate. You can be the most knowledgeable person in the world, but that doesn't mean you need to talk down to people. Let's just chalk this one up to I misunderstood his tone. Continue with the discussions.

This will be my last comment (unless I deem it necessary to respond, again!) but, I read E. Shell's post again, twice, and he NEVER used the terminology that you posted, which I emphasized when I put it in red boldface. (See above.)

I do believe you're reading something into these posts, that just are NOT there.

Have a nice day.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I don't care if a member of this form is respected or not. When people ask for advice and post comments, they are entitled to be treated as human beings. This forum is for helping each other. When you post in a condescending manner or tell someone they're stupid or ignorant, you are going to get a response. There is no need on this forum or anywhere else to treat people as if they're stupid or accurate. You can be the most knowledgeable person in the world, but that doesn't mean you need to talk down to people. Let's just chalk this one up to I misunderstood his tone. Continue with the discussions.

I, (and i'm sure the rest of us would LOVE to know WHEN AND WHERE this happened...

I'll just leave this here....

Attachments

• 185179.jpg
      185179.jpg
      7.4 KB · Views: 81

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Try to escape being a knucklehead by explaining what you see in a manner that is not extremely condescending and people will pay attention to what you say and actually learn what you have to share. I got through the first few sentences of your post and then just skipped the rest. You may be right but I didn't learn anything from you because your tone was completely douchey.
    You know, I can see where you might interpret my impatience with being condescending. Sorry.

Having said that, I will also say I got a pretty good chuckle this morning at having my tone called "douchey" by you, especially as I read further down this thread. I will indeed endeavor to "try to escape being a knucklehead". :)

Just so we're clear, here's the deal:

1) I have nothing against you.
    2) I have a lot to learn and do not make a habit of trying to make other people feel stupid.
    3) Your post reintroduced confusion to a subject that had already has a lot of confusion. You offer a valid method of checking for an unrelated problem.
    4) Your statement that "the cases look stressed", is contradictory to the facts we have and to what I had posted, and thus seems to foster this ongoing misdiagnosis.
    5) I had already tried to use the most basic of facts to dispel discussion about case stretch/headspace and then, here is your post and here we go back into troubleshooting the headspace thing again...

In trying to explain the facts yet one more time, yet one more way, I seem to have let my impatience slip through.

Condescending? Not intentionally.

Impatient? Yes, and before you condemn that, go read all that went before your first contribution to this thread.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Good to see you around the forum again Ed. Don't let the bs get to you, and thanks for another string of informative replies to a valid question from the OP. I hope all is well with you and your family. :)

Ryan

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Even for those who rarely seek advice from others, his posts are extremely informative, but when I start reading I begin to feel like Chris Farley in Almost Heroes.

Maybe his tone was due to frustration with the well intended but incorrect advice he was seeing. He knew exactly what it was by looking at the case. He said what it was in an earlier post and then watched others give their opinion, which is okay to do but the presumptions were wrong. So he posted the reason that they were wrong and reiterated the correct information.

Post on E. Shell... some of us have learned to look past the frustration and learn from those who know what they're talking about. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom