• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Hey guys, I'm Ken and posting on behalf of Gary Carroll, director of operations for Goshen Scout Reservation. GSR is low on .22LR ammo for this summer and we're having trouble finding more. As of right now, we don't have anywhere near enough to run our rifle shooting program for the summer.

GSR is in VA, but is the main summer camp for the National Capital Area Council. We have three Boy Scout camps on the lake (Bowman, Marriott, and Olmstead) that run programs with .22LR rifles. Chances are you or your friends have kids that go down there for the summer.

What we would like is for you guys to donate/sell .22LR ammo to NCAC. It's perfectly fine if you would rather sell (at a reasonable price) than donate, since we were planning on buying the ammo anyway. We are looking for other options on ammo, but they are few and far between. Many online retailers, if they don't sell out in seconds, have quantity limits. Due to the amounts we need, shipping costs on all those orders will be prohibitive. It would be a terrible thing if we can't teach gun safety and marksmanship to scouts this summer.

Gary.carroll(at)scouting.org
    3O1 214 9195

BTW, I've been working at Camp Bowman, GSR since the summer of 2008. Some of you might have seen me there.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Have you talked to any local ffl's? They may be able to help you out. I know redding hardware in pa had around 10 bricks at $45 each when I was there a couple weeks ago.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Have you talked to any local ffl's? They may be able to help you out. I know redding hardware in pa had around 10 bricks at $45 each when I was there a couple weeks ago.

That's more than we'd like to pay since the amount of ammo we go through per summer is in the six figures. We're probably going to have to source it from many different places to get enough. That's why we're asking for people who are willing to sell at a lower price than the stores. I suggested we get a bunch of staffers to raid the Walmarts after they restock.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I'd go directly to the manufacturers and explain the situation. Somebody may be able to re-direct a pallet that was supposed to go to Walmart or something.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks, I told Gary to contact Federal and CCI. Hopefully every other scout camp in the country is not trying the same thing.

Gunny1

Senior Citizen Member
    I am in the same predicament. I will be teaching scouts the rifle shooting merit badge at Broad Creek and need only one brick of .22. Can't find any!

I live in Towson. Hopefully someone can help me out too.

Gunny

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    All that ammo and no 22????

Well, the amount of .22 ammo GSR needs for one summer is in the six figures. Retailers have .22 ammo, but with the quantity limits per order, the shipping costs make it prohibitively high. Last year we abused the crap out of $5 shipping at Cabelas (and the $11 375 round boxes) and ordered an entire summer worth of ammo at once.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'd go directly to the manufacturers and explain the situation. Somebody may be able to re-direct a pallet that was supposed to go to Walmart or something.

Try contacting NSSF or the NRA, they maybe able to help with locating a source.

Both phone calls and letters (preferably on letterhead!) will go a long way toward getting donation(s) for the Boy Scouts.

:thumbsup:

Good luck getting the quantity you need!

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Everybody is in the same boat with their Juniors program. I just learned that the Arlington Rifle & Pistol clubs junior's team has canceled their summer small bore (.22 rimfire) season due to ammo availability. They are just going to extend air rifle season into the summer.

One of their industry contacts has told them that competition ammo will not be available until October at the earliest.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Everybody is in the same boat with their Juniors program. I just learned that the Arlington Rifle & Pistol clubs junior's team has canceled their summer small bore (.22 rimfire) season due to ammo availability. They are just going to extend air rifle season into the summer.

One of their industry contacts has told them that competition ammo will not be available until October at the earliest.

Damn that sucks. We have 3.5 months until the start of program, so that's 3.5 months to get as much ammo as we can. Many of the new scouts have never fired a gun prior to summer camp and most of them do not shoot at all outside of camp, so that's why we must get ammo.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yes everyone in the same boat. We were able to scrounge the 4 bricks we need for a Christian Scout Shooting Weekend but paid up to $50 a brick.

I strongly suggest you start NOW to get ammo for your 2014 season. The CMP has changed the expected delivery for .22 LR ordered now to"6 to 12 months" so if you order today you might not see it until March of next year.

You might want to try having your Regional officials contact WalMart Corporate offices or some of the other major retailers to see if you can arrange a direct buy for a good cause. Can't hurt and they could get some positive PR.

Another approach would be to have each Troop raise their own ammo. That would spread it out over a wider area and the quantity limits would hurt less. We got two bricks in Delaware and two in Maryland.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Another idea could be to run your range with 22 air rifles.

The boys can still learn and practice their marksmanship. Plenty of ammo and air available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom