• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bDp_Reaper

Mar 1, 2017
    Bethesda, MD
    I just want to verify with those who have already picked up their firearms. It seems some people in some of the threads on here claim to have received their "Not Disapproved" email on the 7th day around 6am, at which point they're entitled to go pick up their firearms. However, the HQL class I took, as well as the gun store I went to said 8 days. The gentleman at the store said whenever I get the email but that it would be on day 8. Can anyone verify exactly when they received their email to pickup? 7th or 8th day from application(i.e. 3/22-3/29). Thanks in advance

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The accepted rule, for the most part, is that each store can set its own rules.

If the guy said eight days, then it's eight days.

Always best to ask before making a purchase.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I picked mine up the same day I got the notice. The 6am wake up call reads:

Congratulations. Your application, [#xxxxxx] , to purchase a regulated firearm from [Dealer] has been Not Disapproved by the Maryland State Police. You may return to the selected firearm dealer to arrange pickup/transfer of your item during the dealer's regular business hours.

I filled out the 77r on March Y, 2017 and picked it up on March Y+7, 2017.

So assuming it was submitted the 22nd, you should get a notice 6am the 29th, and be able to pick it up.

ETA: the email also says some other stuff about the PIN you need.

I strongly suspect now with the email/77r FFLs will streamline and standardize their process to release as long as the buyer has the PIN/email confirm. The previous confusion about 7/8th day was due to poorly worded and vague language and an abundance of caution.

I very rarely says this about government changes: but the electronic 77r was a *vast*improvement over the old process, and streamlined the process a lot.

bDp_Reaper

Mar 1, 2017
    Bethesda, MD
    The accepted rule, for the most part, is that each store can set its own rules.

If the guy said eight days, then it's eight days.

Always best to ask before making a purchase.

Yeah but he only said 8 days after I said I couldn't wait for the 7 days to be up. But then afterwards he said as soon as you get the notice you can come pick it up that day. So what I just wanted to find out is when people received their pick up notice from MSP. The date I gave was just an example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    MSP is sending handgun buyers notices now? Seriously, when did this start? Are they e-mailing the buyer or e-mailing the notice to the LGS who then notifies the buyer?

Been several years since I purchased a hand gun in Maryland.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    MSP is sending handgun buyers notices now? Seriously, when did this start? Are they e-mailing the buyer or e-mailing the notice to the LGS who then notifies the buyer?

Emailing the buyer. 6 am on the 7th day.

bDp_Reaper

Mar 1, 2017
    Bethesda, MD

Yes, they have switched the whole process online. Once you pay the $10 app fee you have to wait the 7 day period from the day it's paid . From what I heard, even from the gun store, you receive an email at 6 am on the 7th day that should say "Not Disapproved" at which point you can head to the store and pick up your firearm.

bDp_Reaper

Mar 1, 2017
    Bethesda, MD
    It depends. With the new system, if your projected pickup falls on Monday, it'll slide to Tuesday and 8 days. If Monday is a holiday, it slides to Tuesday for 9 days. Otherwise, it is 7 days. When you get your email, you should be able to pick up.

My 7th day would be on a Saturday, do you think it'll fall on that day or Monday. It doesn't say specifically that it's only business days.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

its all online now. No more white/yellow/red triplicate paperwork. Only the 4473 part is paper.

Fill out the 77r online (it asks for your HQL), sign electronically. You get a notice when the app is submitted, you pay the $10 online with your credit/debit, then they send you an email & PIN when you can pick it up. Then you do.

It looks to me as though the dealer has their own "portal" to view/submit transfers. They log in and put the gun info in, I assume that they get notified as well.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I just want to add, that in my estimation the new system *IS* following the correct calculation, per the old system (see attached).

I just think that some people were confused.

If you bought on a Monday, you are picking up on a Monday. If you bought on a Saturday, you are picking up on a Sat. The day only slides for Sundays and legal holidays.

Attachments

• 7 day 77r.jpg
      7 day 77r.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 509

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    So on my end I get a release date in my final bin associated with application once "Not disapproved." Until its reviewed it stays in my submitted bin. I have selected application before release date just to check it and noticed that I can't open or modify until release date met. Small shop so I have not done a lot of transfers but passing my observation. Seems either 7 or 8th day from date of submission, but however release date is calculated I can't act on it until that date.....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I recently purchased something on a Saturay. Got email 7 days later on Saturday. Shop said don't come on Saturday even though you get email. I just assumed it was their policy, busy Saturday = no time for checking verifications etc.

No biggie. Went on Monday.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I think you mean 6am on the 8th day, with the day you purchase/submit paperwork counting as Day #1.
    Correct. The way some shops used to interpret it though would be buy on Tuesday pick up on the following Wednesday. Now you can pick up on the following Tuesday.

tjohn55

LDO for CNO!
    Jan 13, 2016
    Willards, MD
    FFL Manual 77R Vs Online 77R

When I purchased guns and filled out the paper 77R, I always picked up on the 8th day. I recently purchased a Shield 45 and received the "not disapproved" email from the MSP the morning of the 7th day. I went down later that day to my FFL and picked up the gun.

tj

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I believe you're supposed to because the store won't call you. If you don't get one on 7th day you could always check the MSP site

Enough with the confusing references to "7th day"!

The day you purchase and submit paperwork is DAY 1.

On the morning of DAY 8 (usually around 6am and barring any complications or holds) the MSP sends their Not Disapproved email to you.

Please stop referring to Day 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom