• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    Think of it as banking money, not spending. Because it will never lose much value. :)

:lol: This. I have two home-built ARs and feel very comfortable with my own builds. However, I went with a local business for my first AR purchase. While it is a solid rifle, I'm going to get shredded if I ever sell it. Wouldn't have that issue with the Colt.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    So far, the consensus seems to be the Colt's advantage is solely in the brand name. Surely there's more to it?

there are a ton of threads here (and everywhere) discussing this.

guns are a sum of parts. each individual part on a colt is more thought out and proper. many of these parts contribute to reliability of the rifle.

the total sum of the parts is worth more on a colt than a windham.

http://bfy.tw/A88S

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    there are a ton of threads here (and everywhere) discussing this.

guns are a sum of parts. each individual part on a colt is more thought out and proper. many of these parts contribute to reliability of the rifle.

the total sum of the parts is worth more on a colt than a windham.

http://bfy.tw/A88S

I'd love to know which parts on the Colt are superior, and why.

Thanks for the LMGTFY link - but it's really NOT that simple. I was looking for a discussion specifically between members on this board that understand the nuanced differences between these 2 specific models, in the context of MD law. It's not just "colt vs windham".

LogisticMatt

Jun 25, 2015
    Harford County

A can get a Windham Weaponry HBAR for $670 at JLowes, and an AR6721 for $899 there as well. So the WW is $229 cheaper.

First off, I'm really glad someone name dropped Jlowes. That dude is awesome, and I've bought several firearms and referred many others. Secondly.. I own a 6721. I have shot a dozen or more AR's and several M16's and M4's. I won't down play other brands, because most of them have earned their place in the industry. However, I've ran thousands of rounds through my Colt and have had only one fail to feed. And that was after being a dickhead and running a few hundred rounds in an hour, then my buddy dropping it into the sand and us torturing another few mags. :)

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    So far, the consensus seems to be the Colt's advantage is solely in the brand name. Surely there's more to it?

It has been discussed time and time again. Colts have far less reliability issues and use proven parts.

I don't see how people even look at them as comparable guns. People are worried about a $200 difference for something they probably don't need.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    the primary differences besides the price with the colt and the windham HBC, are as follows
    the windham comes with a rail mount carry handle, it has a commercial spec buffer tube (extension). the windham also comes with a sling, and a case (not a great case, but its not a cardboard box). ships with a mil style aluminum mag
    the colt comes with a magpul BUS. it says colt. the BCG has the colt extractor spring that gives chad at least partial wood. the colt comes with a magpul pmag.

they are both 1/9twist, they both are 4150 milspec steel barrels with chrome lining. they both have M16 BCG's with carpenter 158 bots that are to mil-spec.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Because yer Franken-AR may get jealous... Or that it may end up as just another never ending config change project like this one...
    --JB

de4b9f23051ab1e4697364fe6c51eb09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It has been discussed time and time again. Colts have far less reliability issues and use proven parts.

I don't see how people even look at them as comparable guns. People are worried about a $200 difference for something they probably don't need.

This is the most simple answer.

If you dont have about 4k worth of tools and gauges, to check out an AR, then the Colt will be the most trustworthy.

Colts do come with a notched hammer. I always replace those.

Okletsfish

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2015
    Colt AR`s are a quality fire arm and will hold their value.I look at them the same as I do with a Grady White boat.;)

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    This is the most simple answer.

If you dont have about 4k worth of tools and gauges, to check out an AR, then the Colt will be the most trustworthy.

Colts do come with a notched hammer. I always replace those.

That says a lot comin from your experience. Thanks

Question - what rounded hammer would you replace a 6721's with? I have heard the stock one's can be trouble with a CMMG conversion kit.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That says a lot comin from your experience. Thanks

Question - what rounded hammer would you replace a 6721's with? I have heard the stock one's can be trouble with a CMMG conversion kit.

If its a standard .155 pin Colt Hammer/Trigger then a DPMS Hammer works fine. I prefer a Geissele SSA-E.

If its a Large Pin then Geissele is my pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom