• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I have read a bunch about the pistol boxes on here and I have convinced myself to get a handgun safe with a mechanical lock. I have looked at walmart, dicks and some local gun shops and I have only seen the 4 finger electronic style handgun safes.

Does anyone know somewhere in the Bowie, Annapolis, Severn area that has the Fort Knox, V-Line or any other simplex/mechanical handgun safes?

JJakes

Aug 26, 2015
    Bump

I don't know of anyone who does, but here's a bump for ya'.

Anyone with experience with vline, fas1 or shotlock pistol safes?

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    I like the ShotLocks and you can get them online at Costco a bit cheaper. Have their handgun vaults as well as the shotgun wall holder. Good quality and perfect for keeping the little ones away or a smash and grab. Anyone with a bit of time, hammer and screw driver could get in.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I have a Fort Knox that I am very happy with. It's 4-digit push button but they are mechanical, not electric. Not sure where I bought it but it was online.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    You can buy the FAS online. Someone here posted a coupon code to get 10% off. They are well made, 7gauge for the door, not quite the flimsiness of the store bought tin boxes that you can open with a screwdriver.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    These cheaper boxes, whatever brand, usually have mounting holes in the bottom. Say in the floor of a closet, what's the best way to go about that?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    You can buy the FAS online. Someone here posted a coupon code to get 10% off. They are well made, 7gauge for the door, not quite the flimsiness of the store bought tin boxes that you can open with a screwdriver.

Coupon code is 2aguysandgear

Let me know if you need any help. Chevellenut and i work with them

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *** I own several of the Ft. Knox and several of the drop down electronic ones. The Knox is built much much sturdier and weighs like 25 lbs. The electronic ones will keep out a small child but its not even remotely reinforced. Has a backup key but the batteries go bad like once a year to year and a half or so, which makes it important not to lose the key!

I have everything hidden and am under no impression either would keep out a determined thief for long, but they are much faster in terms of access than my big safe. I can get into either box in less than 4 seconds and have a gun ready to fire in less than 6.

The Ft Knox is built very well and has a gas assist hinge on the door which helps the door open fast. The simplex type mechanical lock is rugged and will for sure outlast the cheap electronic one on the other safe by a very wide margin.

If you can only get one, get the Ft Knox in whichever configuration (top open or side open) you require. The top open one will easily hold 2 full sized Glock 34's or 1911's with mags and room to spare. The electronic one will only hold one firearm, up to a Glock 34 (which is pretty big..) on its own - with no spare mags, etc..

Both can be bolted down, as they have holes built into them for this. IMO hiding the thing is the *best* option. Neither will keep out a determined thief and it's not difficult to just walk off with the entire box, if it should be found. No way I would put either out in the open.

Hope this helps

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    FT. Knox is an outstanding pistol safe. Consider getting the side entry one, so you don't have to worry about lifting a lid. You can open it with one hand.

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I looked at those but I want to store 2 in there. VLine Brute is my top choice so far.

You can store 2 in a FAS1. I have a sig p229 and a S&W Shield9 in my FAS1 XL. The P229 is in the holster which is exposed when the safe is opened, and the Shield fits underneath and towards the front. There's room for a few spare mags too.

I like the FAS1 so much, I now have 2. Very highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom