• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Both of these Henrys are Big Boys in .45 Colt. The Mare's Leg is a real kick to shoot. I've replaced the sights with peep holes.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
      IMG_0038.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 236
    Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    .38/.357 most versatile on ammo costs, it will do anything you want. .44 and .45LC are hard to deal with unless you reload.

Some of the rifle calibers are fun but not near as fun as a pistol caliber lever gun! Ive got my Rossi (I know not a henry) down to engaging 6 clays on stands at 25, 50 and 75 yards (mixed) ranges in 20 seconds...........sweet and fun without recoil.

I agree with the .357/.38 version. It's much less expensive to feed, can be used for hunting small to medium game and holes in paper are still holes regardless of diameter.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Also, good discounts on in stock 357 and 44 magnum Henry's at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore as Cantstop pointed out a few posts earlier.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Have seen 1 in 45LC locally but it can be bought a lot cheaper online. Toyed with the thought of getting one but it would be a novelty and a HEAVY one at that. I have a Ruger 77/357 and it is a fun gun to shoot. What's 45LC ammo cost these days? I saw someone suggest 35Rem here but that's a damn hard round to find, been looking for some for a friend in my travels.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I like the 357/38 option. I already have a Ruger in those calibers.

My shooting partner had a new Marlin 1895 in 357 Mag...

It was a beautiful rifle & functioned perfectly, BUT...

No matter what ammo we tried it was a "75 yard rifle"...

After 75 yards the group went from under 3" to almost 6"...

Check what others have to say about the accuracy of 357 Mags at 100 yards..?

He sold his & went to a Marlin 336 XLR in 30/30 & sheeezam = definitely much more accurate & powerful

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Well, she got tired of me deciding which one...so she picked 44 mag.

Just brought it home.

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• 765498.JPG
      765498.JPG
      36.4 KB · Views: 146

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    That's purty! I have a Henry in 3030, and a new Winchester 1873 in 357/38, which a sweet one too.

Check out skinner sights for a really slick add on to the Henry. I'm thinking of putting one on mine.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I just bought a steel-receivered Henry in.357 MAG/.38 Special. These steel receiver Big Boy rifles also have round instead of octagonal barrels. Weighs in at seven pounds, about two pounds less than the brass reeiver/octagonal barrel Big Boys. Hopefully will have it next week.

I shouldered a brass Big Boy a couple of years ago and decided that for me it was just a couple of pounds too heavy for a fun range rifle, so I am looking forward to my new, lighter Big Boy. I also looked at a couple of new Marlin 1894s, but was not impressed with the way they were put together. The three screws on top of the receiver accommodate a Henry scope mount.

This is the rifle in a different caliber, but the fit and finish are identical:

Would enjoy reading your review/update on this rifle after you've received and taken to the range. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom