• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    I am thinking of buying a new Taurus (made in USA) 738 TCP .380. Can anyone speak to their experience owning/shooting one? It would be a pocket pistol backup to my XDS 45. Crimson trace will probably added, if I get one.

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    why....there are far more better .380 out there?

Better in YOUR eyes , maybe . :) I went thru a micro desert eagle, Keltec P3-AT, S&W Bodyguard, before settling on the 738 ( also a Colt Mustang and P238, but they're a different class ) . The grip and trigger combo on the Taurus is the best of that early bunch, for me. Mine is a "D" series and it's only problem was the takedown pin would work out after a few rounds. I called Taurus, they sent a new pin, and the new one has never had a problem . I have other pocket pistols ( P938 & PT-709 ), but the 738 is the lightest and most discreet.

Last edited:

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    I love mine. I have the stainless slide model. It shoots great and fits neatly in my pocket with a Desantis pocket holster. The price is really low, around $200 I think, and it has a lifetime warranty. I also have a Ruger Lcp but I prefer the Tcp over it.

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks. It would/will be replacing a NAA Guardian .32, that doesn't fit my hand naturally and is just a very inaccurate snapshot shooter, for me. The trigger pull requires a very specific grip, with my hand; not very fast or reliable. But, it has proven to be a very concealable and is very reliable/accurate when I shoot slowly. A very well made little pistol; just not for me.

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    Brent & Lawdog, would you mind telling me what bullets your pistols prefer; the ones that you carry for protection. Might save me some $$ experimenting. I will do some "informal" ballistics testing after I find a couple that feed 100% reliable in the pistol I get.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I've had one for a little over a year. Got it for my wife who likes it very much. Very concealable little gun. Put about 350 rounds thru it both target loads and hollow points. The gun has never failed to feed or fire from round one. Definetlly not a target pistol but for pocket carry it's great.
    One word of caution. Take care when reassembling it after cleaning. I damaged the recoil spring on mine when reinserting the take down pin while haveing the slide in the wrong position at the time. Taurus replaced it for free even know it was "operator" error, not faulty part.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom