• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    OKay, in the process of building an HBAR AR. Have a 20" barrel on the way. And have been thinking about using a side charging upper. As I am left eye dominant, I shoot from the left shoulder. I would like to use a left handed upper and bolt. Therein lies the question, I noticed just a brief blurb about the locking lugs on a barrel needing to be ambi for a left handed bolt to operate. Have any of you ran into this, and is it possible to do a modification to an existing barrel's lugs?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Buy right-handed, use an ambi safety and charging handle, and go with the flow. 10x easier to deal with in several respects. It will work fine. Worst thing you risk is hot brass hitting your forearm when bench shooting. I'm left-handed and all of my ARs are right-handed except for one.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What Boom Boom said. But, if you feel like wasting money Stag makes left hand uppers.
    Or CMMG made (or still makes not sure) a convertible upper for left and right aide use.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I believe Rock River makes one too but, I don't know of ant who make a lefthand side charger. Have you found a lefthanded reciprocating BCG?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The bolt is reversed on a LH BCG so no need to worry about that. They are setup to work on a LH Upper Receiver. Using on a side charger I'm not sure as I have never seen a LH side charger.

The Barrel Extension on a LH AR is different but not much. The difference is the bevel on the leading edge where the lugs from the bolt rotate in are beveled on the opposite side as a RH barrel extension.

The barrel extension can be removed and modified which not many people can or would want to do because retiming it again will be difficult. With a the right small files one can add the bevel on the edge by hand but it has to be done with extreme caution and not too excessive. You just want to break the edge.

The LH upper and bolt will work without mods but the gun may wear the bolt head rapidly and be difficult to operate (the bolt does not lockup and unlock smoothly). I have seen people shoot them till they wear in and then replace the bolt head and the stickiness vanishes. I don't suggest doing this.

Noveske and Stag offer barrels with the LH bevel done.

I would scrap the idea and just buy a Raptor charging handle, noveske or badass ambi safety and call it a day. The brass won't hit you in the face. A click adjustable gas block will also allow you tontine the bass better as well. The LH proprietary stuff negates the aspect of readily available parts for the AR.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I would scrap the idea and just buy a Raptor charging handle, noveske or badass ambi safety and call it a day. The brass won't hit you in the face. A click adjustable gas block will also allow you tontine the bass better as well. The LH proprietary stuff negates the aspect of readily available parts for the AR.

Yep. All of mine have the Raptor and BADASS safety, including my LH Stag. In real life, handling and shooting LH and RH setups, I find the LH setup pointless considering how much of a PITA it can be to get LH parts, ignoring their extra cost. I doubt I would ever buy another LH upper. Another issue with LH uppers (Stag anyway) is how getting the dust cover on/off is such a royal pain, besides the dust cover installing upside down.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Side-charging uppers have been around for years and remain a semi-obscure novelty. Reeks of a solution looking for a problem, besides all the proprietary parts. Side charging can help (in theory) if you have a low-mounted scope and refuse to use an extended charging handle latch.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have known a lot of south paw shooters. Some were bothered some not. A semi-solution is a piston upper (less gas face but, maybe not a big deal). Depending on the wind, we all get that shite, every once and a while. Just a matter of doing business. Side chargers, as one said, are more of a novelty and I would agree. But, ain't we all trying to be different?:shrug:

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    Yeah once upon a time before I had PRK done, I would not have worried about it. As I get older my eyes are drying out easier lol. Was considering a piston setup. I would assume that it would be hard to run a rifle length piston on a bull barrel and still have a handguard over it?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah once upon a time before I had PRK done, I would not have worried about it. As I get older my eyes are drying out easier lol. Was considering a piston setup. I would assume that it would be hard to run a rifle length piston on a bull barrel and still have a handguard over it?

Not so

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have known a lot of south paw shooters. Some were bothered some not. A semi-solution is a piston upper (less gas face but, maybe not a big deal). Depending on the wind, we all get that shite, every once and a while. Just a matter of doing business. Side chargers, as one said, are more of a novelty and I would agree. But, ain't we all trying to be different?:shrug:

As a lefty on rifles that has owned a piston upper - it's not a solution to anything. Unless you need to fire underwater at a target - at the very end of the muzzle. ;)

Save your money, save the headaches - standard right hand upper will work just fine.

As long as you're not trying to use the C-clamp method/grip, you don't have to worry about hot brass introducing itself to your skin.

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    As a lefty on rifles that has owned a piston upper - it's not a solution to anything. Unless you need to fire underwater at a target - at the very end of the muzzle. ;)

Save your money, save the headaches - standard right hand upper will work just fine.

As long as you're not trying to use the C-clamp method/grip, you don't have to worry about hot brass introducing itself to your skin.

:P Good thing I am not a fan of that particular grip style or the hold the magwell style either for that matter. I do try to work a sling (not a three point) onto my rifles so I can use the sling for shooting. (Hey, I know the Marines still do this, Army doesn't teach it anymore, but it is still in the older manuals.)

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Except if you're bench shooting with a short-sleeved shirt. ;) Even then, it's only occasional and just a trivial annoyance.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I'm a lefty. My ARs are right-handed. No issues. Never been even grazed by brass.

I do have a side-charger under construction but it is not a semi-auto. It's a bolt-action for F-Class TR. The barrel will have no gas system. Pure single shot or mag-fed manual action. My side charger is a White Oak. Nicely done.

Matt

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I went with a left handed Stag Arms Model 8.

At first, I was like, cool, a gun made for me. Then after the Newtown gun grab scare, I got into a right handed AR.

I have had one or two "wings" by my head with brass with a RH AR. But I can say I shoot my RH AR just as confidently as my LH AR. The LH AR is nice, as the brass never comes close. As I would image a RH shooter experiences with a RH AR.

The other thing, and it was probably mentioned but didn't read the entire thread, you cannot exchange internal parts save for the CH.

As others have said, if I could go back, would have all RH ARs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom