• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    looks like it caught the last rib...but I would have taken care of the deer before a squirrel...that's just me...

The Master Hunter agrees. ( No dick used in the making of this statement )

Take care of your kill before you waste more deer. Don't like the truth ? Take up Bingo and leave the Deer to those of us who do care.

Furthermore, if you did care, that deer would not be missing a head and gone to waste.

Next thing for you to learn is how fast Fly's can lay eggs in 53 degree weather...

Find a new sport if that's how you hunt.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    With a gut shot like that I would have left it behind too. Did you find your field tag ? Maybe check the local taxidermy shop for it. I can't believe you would even let the animal lay out in these temps. I will assume the meat is of no value just the antler. sad. really sad.

u5esepu8.jpg

I don't think it's missing it's head. I'm thinking by his comment, coyotes or foxes ate the ass out of it before he could find it.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    The Master Hunter agrees. ( No dick used in the making of this statement )

Take care of your kill before you waste more deer. Don't like the truth ? Take up Bingo and leave the Deer to those of us who do care.

Furthermore, if you did care, that deer would not be missing a head and gone to waste.

Next thing for you to learn is how fast Fly's can lay eggs in 53 degree weather...

Find a new sport if that's how you hunt.

They didn't eat the head for one, secondly I let the deer die. I didn't run right after it when it was shot. If I found the deer 30 minutes after the shot it would have had ice on it in my car not outside. Your reading comprehension is horrendous.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    They didn't eat the head for one, secondly I let the deer die. I didn't run right after it when it was shot. If I found the deer 30 minutes after the shot it would have had ice on it in my car not outside. Your reading comprehension is horrendous.

I had the same thing happen to me. I hunted on a military base where I usually hit up the same area every day.

I saw the same few deer on camera year after year and they had spikes about 10in long and that was it.

I made up my mind I was going to take one the next opportunity I could. Finally got a shot at one and waited a couple hours to look for it. Lost the trail in some incredibly thick brush.

Went back the next day and found it about 30ft where we stopped looking and the ass was ate out of it. Man I was pissed, 30 damn feet!!!!

Since the base operated on a quota system I still burned a tag on it.

Those are some nice bucks you got there!!!!!

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I had the same thing happen to me. I hunted on a military base where I usually hit up the same area every day.

I saw the same few deer on camera year after year and they had spikes about 10in long and that was it.

I made up my mind I was going to take one the next opportunity I could. Finally got a shot at one and waited a couple hours to look for it. Lost the trail in some incredibly thick brush.

Went back the next day and found it about 30ft where we stopped looking and the ass was ate out of it. Man I was pissed, 30 damn feet!!!!

Since the base operated on a quota system I still burned a tag on it.

Those are some nice bucks you got there!!!!!

Thanks, I know bad shots happen to everyone(except somd) apparently. You always give them time to die if the shot is questionable. If you get on the trail of a gut shot deer immediately you'll never find 9 out of 10.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Thanks, I know bad shots happen to everyone(except somd) apparently. You always give them time to die if the shot is questionable. If you get on the trail of a gut shot deer immediately you'll never find 9 out of 10.

What chapped my a$$ about losing mine is that it shoulda been a slam dunk shot, I thought it was a perfect quartering shot and I saw where it ran into the brush about 30yds from where I was. I had a couple more hours till end of shooting light and thought I may get lucky and have another walk out on me.

I walked right to where it ran in and fully expected it to be laying a few yards into the trees. Man, was I ever wrong about that!!!!!

When I found it the next day it turns out it was a very poor shot after all.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    2 hours on a poor shot seems reasonable to me. You don't push them if you know your shot was a little too far to the rear. I think the least amount to wait is maybe 30 mins. I waited a little bit before trailing my muzzleloader deer last year, having no idea if I even hit it. I found a blood trail but followed it slowly, however my neighbor said the deer was practically Santa's reindeer and was flying by after the shot, and then when I got there, the blood trail just petered out and I couldn't pick it back up. Then 10 mins later someone fired a shot along the deer trails further over in the exact direction my deer ran. I like to think that was her and she was put down by the other hunter. Blood was bright red BTW.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I just don't get the rush to push a deer. When we found it the body was still warm. If we would have looked after 30min that deer would have never been found I 100% guarantee.

Its not a rush as in hurry up and do it..but if you know you got a good shot and good blood the priority for me is to find the deer...especially in warmer weather. 30 is plenty time for a deer to expire if its a good shot...if you think your shot was bad maybe wait a little longer depending on how bad you think it was...I'm not telling you how you should track your deer but this is an open forum...I just said I would have put the priority on the deer not a squirrel. The deer will stay warm for quite a while in 53 degree weather...I don't know how long it was from the time you shot the deer to the time you found it.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

You said. "Showed up at 6am today to squirrel hunt and saw some deer in the field. Stalked within 35 yards and shot one. We let it lay while we squirrel hunted till 815"

What you are telling me is, you shot the Deer and then went off to do something else for two hours and fifteen minutes, instead of taking care of the priority at hand. Am I wrong ? My reading comprehension is just fine given the statements you laid out for us in writing.

The only thing I'm not quite sure of, which brought me to statement about the gut shot is, you said you showed up to Squirrel hunt. That requires a gun. My next question is how did you shoot that Deer in a field when there's no gun season in Maryland right now, or did you bring a Bow to Squirrel hunt ? Not being a dick by any means, but, the details are little with the caption of your picture.

Now, given all the other assumptions we have to make, the point is, regardless of how the Deer was killed, you walked away from it to do other things for an extended period of time, that I have a problem with. If I am wrong then please feel free to fill in the blanks you left for us, because obviously, I am not the only one asking these questions. I'm still curious as to what was on that Deers head. It was obviously a buck.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Its not a rush as in hurry up and do it..but if you know you got a good shot and good blood the priority for me is to find the deer...especially in warmer weather. 30 is plenty time for a deer to expire if its a good shot...if you think your shot was bad maybe wait a little longer depending on how bad you think it was...I'm not telling you how you should track your deer but this is an open forum...I just said I would have put the priority on the deer not a squirrel. The deer will stay warm for quite a while in 53 degree weather...I don't know how long it was from the time you shot the deer to the time you found it.

My question is how much time was wasted to waste that Deer.

Screw the Squirrels they will be there everyday. All day long.

Oct 11, 2012
    #110 Valid question. You took both a bow and a shotgun to hunt squirrels? That's preparation that would put a Boy Scout to shame. The entry wound looks like a 3 blade broadhead, so seems like you did.

Oct 11, 2012
    Ah, yes..here it is in the DNR 2013 Regulations:

Regulations Pertaining to Both Vertical Bows and Crossbows

"Firearms may not be carried while hunting deer during the Archery Season."

See..it prevents people from shooting the deer and then just sticking an arrow into the bullet hole to make it look like a broadhead wound.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Wait..isn't carrying a firearm while bowhunting illegal? I dont' recall...just asking for a point of clarity.

Technically I believe it is. He made a bad shot, heck I made a not so great shot last night, so it happens.

I wouldn't have waited 2 hours either but waiting a longer period of time for a bad shot is a good thing to do. He was accused of cutting the head off a deer when the azz was eaten out? I think most people could see the grain of the hair and determine it was the back end of the deer.

Lets not harp on this and move on?

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I was thinking the same thing about what he shot it with but I did not want to start up anymore crap. Now would it be legal if the son took a shotgun and the dad took his bow for deer?

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I deer hunted Friday night so my bow was still in the trunk, I use spitfire maxx. I didn't know my post was going to be ripped apart so I didn't write every single detail down. Next thing you know I'm carrying a gun and bow at the same time, cutting the heads off deer after letting them roast in the sun all day long after a perfect shot. If I thought people would assume all that I would have never posted. I was on my phone so I didn't feel like writing out the entire story at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom