• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • One Wire

Jul 25, 2012
    does anyone know if building an AR9 or AR45 in a 8-10in or in 16in barrel standard stock or buffer tube (PSA build) legal in MD....id like to build the AR45 pistol in 8 inch buffer tube .....just cause thanks

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you are not wanting to go the NFA route, build a pistol(AR). Not too sure about .45s, but plenty of options for 9mm. I've got a 5" 9mm AR. It shoots 3"-5" groups at 100yds. have at it!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The answer to the OP's question is, yes, you can build a 9mm or .45ACP AR-15 or pistol in MD. You are safest using a dedicated lower like a QC10 Glock lower. Remember that 45ACP puts you into "large frame Glock" territory, and that 45ACP uppers are slightly more rare than 9mm uppers... the 9mm build will be much easier, in other words, but if you're a .45ACP guy through and through, it's a lot easier than it used to be.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I bought a 9mm carbine many years ago and built a 9mm pistol more recently. I have always been interested in building a 45 pistol but parts options are much less plentiful. I noticed CMMG got into the 45 AR game but those are Glock mag which isn't the route I want.
    https://www.cmmginc.com/product-category/rifles/45-acp/

If you find good sources for parts, share the links.

These guys sell complete guns...
    https://flintriverarmory.com/

These guys have been around quite a while and sell complete guns and some parts.
    http://bazookabrothers.com/pages/home/1

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I have several 9mm uppers...16, 10.5 and 5 inch versions that I love shooting. They are GREAT suppressed. I too have been interested in building a 45 ACP upper but am most interested in using a standard lower with a mag block (same thing I did with my 9mm) in order to make universal use of my SBRed lower.

My ideal situation is to build a 45 ACP version that uses standard magazines with a mag block. I simply can't seem to find anything that works this way. Macon has a conversion (damned expensive) but it uses what seem to be proprietary mags.

Anyone know of any other solutions?

Thanks,

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The only thing that might possibly work is an old VMH Uzi mag adapter running 45acp Uzi mags. But 45acp Uzi mags are not exactly widely available these days, and I'm not 100% sure the VMH block is going to work in that scenario anyways. You're stuck with either a new lower or running proprietary mags, I suspect.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    There are many pages on the subject here. I would start at the end and work backwards as the original posts on the subject is 10 years old and I know much has changed since. I haven't had a chance to look through it. If anyone finds any nuggets of wisdom, please share.
    I too would like to build on a standard AR lower with a block, similar to what I did with 9mm. Hahn top loader, CMMG enhanced bolt and barrel, etc.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/345390_-45-ACP-Conversion-Guide.html&page=19

One Wire

Jul 25, 2012
    thanks wasn't sure after listening to someone less informed.....however PSA does have a 45 ACP AR 10in build that gave me a chubby....while i should buy a hi point carbine cambered in a 45 ACP....i just cant make myself buy a hi point ....i know people love them at the price point but i just cant do it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom