• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hey Guys,

I see that Marlin has some nice Rebates right now. Do any of you know how the Remington owned 1894/1895 Marlins are ?I'd heard that they weren't so hot a few years ago.

Thanks!

K

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Hey Guys,

I see that Marlin has some nice Rebates right now. Do any of you know how the Remington owned 1894/1895 Marlins are ?I'd heard that they weren't so hot a few years ago.

Thanks!

K

A little rougher, some QC issues but at the prices they are going for they make a fine shooting iron. They ones I have seen lately are a little better than those 2 or 3 years ago. Gets a little ridiculous when you start talking $1200 plus for a basic JM marlin stamped 94. Right now you are looking at Marlins at Rossi prices, its not a hard decision.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I swore that I'd never buy a Remlin/Marlington rifle, after hearing about the QC issues.

I ate my words, and bought a Marlin/Remlin/Marlington 1895CBA (18.5" Cowboy rifle).

Haven't fired it, yet, but, the wood furniture/metal fit is pretty darned good, and (at least) the barrel is clocked correctly, and there aren't any extra dovetail(s) in the bottom of the barrel, like I've heard horror stories, of.

The action IS a LITTLE stiff, but, it's nothing that a good cleaning, then working it about 100 times with some 400 then 800 "Clover" valve lapping compound won't smooth out.

The 1895CBA joins my JM proofmarked 1895G and 1895CB, in the safe. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

ShooterBear

Apr 3, 2017
    Montg'y Co
    I read an article on RealGuns.com comparing the Rem/Marlin immediately after the Remington takeover with the same model some 8,000 serial numbers later. Seems the first Rem guns were pretty rough, but the production problems got sorted out to where the guns are now properly finished, better than they were before the takeover. I'm thinking about buying one as well.

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    They were iffy early on. New production guns should be much better.

I just bought a 1895 from Grice for $499 + $20 shipping. Plus the rebate. Hard to beat $420 after rebates, plus $35 transfer. Picked it up yesterday from the FFL - fit and finish are great. Like 99.9%. One very minor blueing ding (which could have been me on the transport home) - but I plan on applying cerakote anyway so no biggie.

ShooterBear

Apr 3, 2017
    Montg'y Co
    Got a smoking deal on an 1895GBL - after the rebate I'll be into it for $364.95 delivered. I don't much care for the laminate stock but, like Jimbob said, you can't beat these prices.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Got a smoking deal on an 1895GBL - after the rebate I'll be into it for $364.95 delivered. I don't much care for the laminate stock but, like Jimbob said, you can't beat these prices.

Ya, some incredible stuff out there. High Rock just offered me a fantastic price on the 1895s before rebate.

As mentioned in my previous posts these new Marlins are not JM guns by any standard but certainly are good quality guns overall and you are not paying pre-Rem prices.

One of the reasons I am entertaining a new 1895 is I have a 1895GS with gorgeous factory walnut that is JM stamped. I would like to have something for a more day to day shooter, camp gun in bear season. The question now is 1895G or 1895GBL. Im ok with the laminate and the GBL has a full length tube. Im already into him for 1894s in .44 and .45.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Ya, some incredible stuff out there. High Rock just offered me a fantastic price on the 1895s before rebate.

As mentioned in my previous posts these new Marlins are not JM guns by any standard but certainly are good quality guns overall and you are not paying pre-Rem prices.

One of the reasons I am entertaining a new 1895 is I have a 1895GS with gorgeous factory walnut that is JM stamped. I would like to have something for a more day to day shooter, camp gun in bear season. The question now is 1895G or 1895GBL.
    Im ok with the laminate and the GBL has a full length tube. Im already into him for 1894s in .44 and .45.

Neither. Go 1895CBA.
    18.5" octagonal barrel. Full length magazine tube. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have a fairly new 1895 GBL. Fit and finish on the rifle is very good. No gaps, bluing looks very good. Issue I have had, is the finish of the internal metal parts, including the trigger. Edge of the trigger actually cut my finger. I took the gun apart and as someone else mentioned, used lapping compound on all the sharp edges. Action smoothed out quite nice, rifle shoots 325 grain Hornady rubber tips quite nice. The 336 30-30's sold at Walmart though, do not look very good. Receivers looks like they have been parkerized flat black, stock fit not so good. I want a '94 in .44Mag, but I will really look that rifle over before purchase.

ShooterBear

Apr 3, 2017
    Montg'y Co
    Neither. Go 1895CBA.
    18.5" octagonal barrel. Full length magazine tube. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    All things being equal, the 95CBA would have been my first choice, but it's not being offered up for anything near the same kind of pricing. It goes for more than double what I paid for my GBL.

ShooterBear

Apr 3, 2017
    Montg'y Co
    My 1895GBL arrived today, and it appears to be mechanically sound in every way. The action cycles pretty smoothly with no gritty feel to it, at least not what I've read about elsewhere. Trigger pull is acceptable for a mass-produced gun, metal finish is average, and the sights appear to be lined up true at twelve o'clock. I scoped the barrel and the rifling looks neat and sharp, if not entirely clean from test firing. The laminate wood stock is reasonably well fitted to the action, but nothing to brag about - flush with the metal here, a bit shy of it there, slightly proud of it somewhere else - but overall it will serve. No real complaints about the fitting of the butt pad. The checkering, however, is pretty darn bad. Not even consistently bad, just sorta bad in some places and really bad in others. It doesn't especially concern me, but I thought it worth reporting. I'm not sure what kind of checkering can be achieved with laminate wood like this.

I have the benefit of working in the gun industry, so I can easily bring all of the little things up to snuff. If I wanted to put the time into sanding and polishing, I could walk out into the workshop, dunk the whole thing into the heated blueing tanks and come out with a bright finish. I could grab the files and sharpen up the checkering. But not being a half-way kinda guy, once I get started, I won't stop until it's a custom take-down with a Treebone stock, and I'm just not sure I want to do that with this gun.

Once I settle the bill, I'll take it out to the range and really see what I have. But for now just based on inspection, I'm pleased with my purchase.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Eager...very eager...to see how the
    new Marlin '94's in .357 mag, look.
    I am girding myself to buy a JM
    pre-safety one, but as noted earlier
    in this thread, that means looking at
    about a grand, these days.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Eager...very eager...to see how the
    new Marlin '94's in .357 mag, look.
    I am girding myself to buy a JM
    pre-safety one, but as noted earlier
    in this thread, that means looking at
    about a grand, these days.

Looking forward to picking up my 2 1894s (.45 and .44) from Hog Sniper. I expect them to be fairly good, certainly better than the alternatives on the new market. Downside is they are 20" barrels, wish Marlin would start churning out shorties again. About your only option for 16" is Rossi (not bad, tool grade but ok)

If they make a .357 I will likely buy one too.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Picked up my new 1895G Guide Gun from Gary @ High Rock yesterday. Great price and then with the $100 rebate, how can you go wrong!!! After a good cleaning getting all of the factory crud off. I did a side by side comparison with my 1990 JM 30AS. There are a few minor things like the final finish of the wood and I like the gloss vs. the satin look of the new gun (Mar- Shield finish). Other than the fact that the receiver is just slightly more polished on the 30AS then the new Remlin, the new gun is pretty darn close in quality. Bluing looks great, sights are indexed correctly. The new gun action was not quite as smooth right out of the box but after the clean, lube and working the action it is loosening up nicely! Have not shot it yet but I'm hopeful and fairly confident it will work fine. The only thing that really bothers me is the location and way that Remington is applying the serial number with a 2D barcode on the side of the polished blue receiver in an area that is blocked off and is matte. What idiot thought of that???? The should have left it up on the tang as with the real Marlins. My newer 870 HD is the same?? My gun was manufactured in April 2016 so it must have been sitting in the distributers inventory for quite some time. That might explain the rebates. The date should give a idea at least when most of the quality issues may have been corrected if there ever were any. All in all I am very satisfied so far especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom