• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NewGuy202

Feb 9, 2017
    Hey all, newbie here. I currently live in Virginia and recently bought a Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II rifle. I am possibly moving to Maryland within the next year or two and I was wondering if I can bring my gun? I know it's banned by name, but I'm not sure if it's just that you can't buy, sell, or transfer it in Maryland (is it legal to OWN if I bought it legally in another state and then moved to Maryland?). If I am in fact not allowed to have it at all in Maryland, is there anything I can do to it to make it legal? Thanks in advance for your help.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The other option would be moving somewhere besides Maryland. Or leave it with someone in a different state.

Yeah, sorry about that.

NewGuy202

Feb 9, 2017
    i bought it in 2017. oh well it's my own fault for not being informed enough. so if i change the barrel to an hbar, it would be completely legal? ballpark how much would that run me? and even though the base is a copycat, if i changed the barrel to an hbar it would be ok? thanks for all the replies everyone.

Last edited:

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    i bought it in 2017. oh well it's my own fault for not being informed enough. so if i change the barrel to an hbar, it would be completely legal? ballpark how much would that run me? and even though the base is a copycat, if i changed the barrel to an hbar it would be ok? thanks for all the replies everyone.

yes,depends by brand of upper 300-1200,yes! bushmaster is the only manufacter thats banned by name in this state!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Depends what barrel you want. About $150-400. Pretty easy to swap yourself

You could also just swap out the upper forabout $300-600.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That rifle has a heavy barrel, but because S&W won't state that, it's not legal in Maryland. I'd suggest you swap the upper that has a barrel that specifically has HBAR on it, or don't move to Maryland.

NewGuy202

Feb 9, 2017
    Out of curiosity, what made you decide to go with the M&P sport?

Price. Haha, i read reviews saying that it was a very reliable gun for the price, so I went with it.

I would sell it if I thought I could get money back for it, but I think I would end up losing money on it. Or I would be unable to find someone to sell it to.

Just to clarify, if I swap the barrel out for one that say HBAR on it, it would be 100% legal to bring with me to Maryland if I move there? Even though the rest is a Copycat?

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Price. Haha, i read reviews saying that it was a very reliable gun for the price, so I went with it.

I would sell it if I thought I could get money back for it, but I think I would end up losing money on it. Or I would be unable to find someone to sell it to.

Just to clarify, if I swap the barrel out for one that say HBAR on it, it would be 100% legal to bring with me to Maryland if I move there? Even though the rest is a Copycat?

swap the barrel gtg!

weezy102

Apr 20, 2012
    Going off of this post a bit but similar question, does anyone know if POF rifles are md compliant? Specifically the puritan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom