• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    I have a couple of garage doors that have a few heavy layers of old paint on them that I would like to get removed. I have zero interest in stripping them or sanding them myself, I would buy news first. However I would like to keep them, they are probably 60's era and made of heavy galvanized steel. Over on the shore there was a place you could take them to and they had a huge vat they would drop them into.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I have a couple of garage doors that have a few heavy layers of old paint on them that I would like to get removed. I have zero interest in stripping them or sanding them myself, I would buy news first. However I would like to keep them, they are probably 60's era and made of heavy galvanized steel. Over on the shore there was a place you could take them to and they had a huge vat they would drop them into.

Get ready for a bunch of advice on how to DIY...

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    while its not close to you, there is the towne stripper in parkville Md, a lot closer than a hike to the eastern shore. however I Caeb is onto the best idea of looking for a mobile service, might be more expensive but the time saved is worth it, especially if you have to make 2 trips out this way to get the doors dropped off, done and then picked up.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Not sure you can find dip tanks any more. The chemicals they used were pretty nasty and over the years the EPA or MD's equivalent has made this much more difficult to own/operate.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    One bit of advice. You probably have lead paint on those doors. I doubt anyone is going to just start sandblasting without having the paint tested. Even if you do it yourself, you are taking on a very large liability if you strip it and just trash the old paint. I'm not even sure what you would have to do if you replaced them. Lead paint is lead paint.

Unless you want to open up a BIG can of worms, or get out your checkbook, you may want to consider just spray painting them and let them go.

Good Luck!

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    ok, ok, I'll take one for the team and remove the stripper for you, what's her name? You are on your own with PAINT tho, that sounds like work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom