What's a person to do where you can't carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Batan and OC. Knife would be good. Let me recommend something I don't see others talk much about. Get some self defence experience so you are better fighting in close quarters AND on the ground as most fights transition to the ground. Grappling skills and weapon retention skills are really important. Also a good taser is a great option.

Agree with this, as well as being situationally aware and able to flee and evade if need be. Being able to make sound judgements as when to Fight or Flee is important. I've been in several situations where weapons were pulled on me and had to make that decision quickly where an attacker is in close quarters but every situation is different and your judgement can be what saves your life or avoids injury.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

That is horribly bad advice.

The DC letter has NOTHING to do with transport. It does not make you a Bona Fide collector.

What you are recommending is absolutely the antithesis of the bona fide collector provision. You are not acting in "Good Faith." You are obviously acting in bad faith. You are obviously not a "Genuine Collector" going to a genuine exhibit. You are a Scofflaw obviously trying to game the system.

You are recommending obviously illegal activity, bound to get anyone foolish enough to follow your advice thrown in jail and left a Prohibited Person for life. Pretty damn clever.

Furthermore, another peeve of mine: Why does ANYONE carry in the glove compartment? I can't think of a worse place to carry a gun, even where it's legal. Poor access by the driver, easy access for untrained passengers, first place a thief looks, likely to cause a bad reaction from the cop who wants to see your registration. Also poorly secured, sliding around with a bunch of random crap getting tangled in the trigger guard, etc.

Secure a proper holster under the seat, next to the seat, in the console, or whatever. Tossing a gun casually in the glove compartment is lazy and dumb.

:thumbsup: to the advice against illegal carry. You lose all of your 2A rights in the USA for life when convicted. Not worth it.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    You can do both types of carry on your own property though correct?

Carry on your property doesn't require a permit, however going armed to the terror of the public, meaning if you're in an area and standing on your property carrying openly you could have to face a brandishing claim especially if some sort of conflict arises. Imagine a 911 call of a man with a gun from one neighbor who is arguing with another even though standing on his side of the property line. Defending your property shouldn't ever include having to brandish, point, or intimidate unless in fear of bodily harm.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jesus people...my sarcasm emoji wasn't working! This thread is about CARRYING! If you read the post you will see I didn't mention carrying. Maybe I just should have stated what another poster did..."stay home". Next time I'll be sure to spell out "sarcasm" for those that get hyper easy.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    How would anyone know you were being sarcastic? Many times members encourage behavior that is illegal. Without an emoticon which are available on the forum, your post gives no clue as to your intent. Why not avail yourself of the feature in future posts?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Jesus people...my sarcasm emoji wasn't working! This thread is about CARRYING! If you read the post you will see I didn't mention carrying. Maybe I just should have stated what another poster did..."stay home". Next time I'll be sure to spell out "sarcasm" for those that get hyper easy.

:sarcasm:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      43.2 KB · Views: 317

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Carry on your property doesn't require a permit, however going armed to the terror of the public, meaning if you're in an area and standing on your property carrying openly you could have to face a brandishing claim especially if some sort of conflict arises. Imagine a 911 call of a man with a gun from one neighbor who is arguing with another even though standing on his side of the property line. Defending your property shouldn't ever include having to brandish, point, or intimidate unless in fear of bodily harm.
    Please cite the specific Maryland law you are referring to: "armed to the terror of the public"

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Please cite the specific Maryland law you are referring to: "armed to the terror of the public"

No specific Maryland law however I'm sure you already realize that. I used the phrase in lieu of simply saying Common Sense carry with respect to carrying on ones own property in that it may escalate unnecessary conflicts if done so without the necessary Common Sense all 2A enthusiasts should possess.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In Md no such statutes as "Brandishing" , or " Going Armed to terror, etc " .

But if situations go sideways, could involve Disorderly Conduct , or 2nd Degree Assault.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    No specific Maryland law however I'm sure you already realize that. I used the phrase in lieu of simply saying Common Sense carry with respect to carrying on ones own property in that it may escalate unnecessary conflicts if done so without the necessary Common Sense all 2A enthusiasts should possess.

In Md no such statutes as "Brandishing" , or " Going Armed to terror, etc " .

But if situations go sideways, could involve Disorderly Conduct , or 2nd Degree Assault.

I don't think for one second that the simple act of open carrying on one's own property in Maryland is provocative, illegal, or "asking for trouble". It would not concern me in the least to see someone open carrying in their own yard. Escalating a conflict while you are on your own private property??? Sorry, I an having trouble with this. I don't open carry but I damn sure support the right of folks to do so, especially on their own property.

The act of open carry is not disturbing the peace, it is not brandishing, and it is not 2nd degree assault.

Common sense? That's a CNN gun control talking point.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

I believe this stemmed from a English Common Law issue some several centuries ago, when carrying weapons for the purpose of creating fear in the public was addressed. It was mentioned in at least one SCOTUS brief that I read here somewhere.

So, not codified in MD law, but addressed in the Common Law which is a part of the foundation of our legal system.

I'm sure there's a better, and probably more correct, explanation, but I gave it all I had.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    you guys love to hate the laws in this gawd awful state but will to no end defend these laws....am I the only one seeing this?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    you guys love to hate the laws in this gawd awful state but will to no end defend these laws....am I the only one seeing this?
    I am certainly not defending the laws of this state and I am not really seeing anyone else do it. What I am seeing is folks making up laws or making the laws seem more intrusive than they already are.
    Explaining the laws of this gawd awful state is not defending them .
    Perhaps, but it is not at all helpful when people expand the laws beyond reality and/or make up laws.
    The BGOS is strong in this thread.
    No doubt. Really strong BGOS going on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom