Lane layouts redesigned on Crain Hwy in Upper Marlboro.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    Who else has encountered this crap they did with the lanes on Crain Hwy at Leeland Rd in Upper Marlboro?:mad54:

What WAS the right THRU lane now runs out downstream of the intersection and now has to merge left, only to come right back where you were once you reach the unmodified roadway. What the hell would possess our overpaid highway designers in this pitiful state to come up with an incredibly idiotic and half assed scenario like that?:rant2:

Sure is nice to see my tax dollars used so efficiently. :rolleyes:

DD55

Sep 22, 2013
    Anne Arundel
    I drove thru there on sunday , I'm sure it will cause some accidents with drivers not paying attention. The north bound lanes are screwed up also.

Feb 28, 2013
    I drove thru there on sunday , I'm sure it will cause some accidents with drivers not paying attention. The north bound lanes are screwed up also.

In Prince George's county, I GUARANTEE a mess like that has "catastrophe waiting to happen" wrote all over it:sad20:.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    You would swear by the layout of some roads, that the people that design them never had a drivers license and only rode bikes. I have seen some of the STUPIDEST things here in maryland. Now once in a while, they get it right. When the re-designed the Route 29 on ramp from 70, and the subsequent merges later on, I was surprised how well it worked. But otherwise, they usually just make things WORSE.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    You would swear by the layout of some roads, that the people that design them never had a drivers license and only rode bikes. I have seen some of the STUPIDEST things here in maryland. Now once in a while, they get it right. When the re-designed the Route 29 on ramp from 70, and the subsequent merges later on, I was surprised how well it worked. But otherwise, they usually just make things WORSE.

Trouble is most of our certified Civil Engineers come from countries where there is one paved road, and it's nowhere near their home village. They get a CE degree from some diploma mill in their home country. Then they emigrate here, get an advanced CE degree from somewhere like the South Dakota School of Mines, and are hired by SHA, who sends them to a conference to get them the Hell out of the office. They come back with some half-azzed design they saw and misunderstood, and persuade someone to "give them a chance."

The result you can see for yourself. :mad54:

netryeder

Dec 17, 2012
    Pasadena
    Overpaid highway designer here.

Without being familiar with the project or even the area, I imagine you are talking about a right thru lane that has been turned into a merge area to allow right in and right out traffic to merge. The purpose of this is to separate the high speed thru traffic from the slower merging traffic.

My guess would be that there was a serious accident there a few years ago and the family/neighbors complained enough to a politician who complained enough to the SHA to get the changes made. On paper the concept of separating the thru traffic from the merging traffic does reduce the likelihood of an accident.

Feb 28, 2013
    Overpaid highway designer here.

Without being familiar with the project or even the area, I imagine you are talking about a right thru lane that has been turned into a merge area to allow right in and right out traffic to merge. The purpose of this is to separate the high speed thru traffic from the slower merging traffic.

My guess would be that there was a serious accident there a few years ago and the family/neighbors complained enough to a politician who complained enough to the SHA to get the changes made. On paper the concept of separating the thru traffic from the merging traffic does reduce the likelihood of an accident.

That much I understand.

What I DON'T understand, is why not simply add a lane to the right, rather than the left like they did, and leave the thru lanes where they were?

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    That much I understand.

What I DON'T understand, is why not simply add a lane to the right, rather than the left like they did, and leave the thru lanes where they were?

You're thinking logically and offer a simple solution.Neither work when either a State Agency or Utility of any kind is involved.Both make expensive convoluted messes of the most basic matters.Having dealt with both in various capacities I'm confident that is the disconnect here.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What? There's a crappily designed road in Upper Marlboro?

The hell you say.

Feb 28, 2013
    What? There's a crappily designed road in Upper Marlboro?

The hell you say.

Well, stupidity is to be expected in Prince George's county.:sad20:

You're thinking logically and offer a simple solution.Neither work when either a State Agency or Utility of any kind is involved.Both make expensive convoluted messes of the most basic matters.Having dealt with both in various capacities I'm confident that is the disconnect here.

Well, Netryeder's theory would make sense... ...on the southbound side, because it's a 3-way intersection with the side street coming in from the west.

But like I said, why not simply add a merge lane on the right side like they did at Solomons Island Rd and Birdsville?:shrug:

AND, it get's better.

They did the same thing on the northbound side, which pretty much negates the theory of the merge lane because in order for traffic to get out from Leeland Rd to go north, the northbound traffic will be stopped by the red light.

THAT makes no damn sense at all. What I would have suggested, since it's a 3-way intersection, would have been something like what was done at Solomons Island Rd and Plum Point Rd in Huntingtown.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Trouble is most of our certified Civil Engineers come from countries where there is one paved road, and it's nowhere near their home village. They get a CE degree from some diploma mill in their home country. Then they emigrate here, get an advanced CE degree from somewhere like the South Dakota School of Mines, and are hired by SHA, who sends them to a conference to get them the Hell out of the office. They come back with some half-azzed design they saw and misunderstood, and persuade someone to "give them a chance."

The result you can see for yourself. :mad54:

Seriously??? Not much experience there 'eh?

Counting myself as one of those "certified" Civil Engineeers... only I got my degree from a little po dunk engineering school in WTF Upstate NY... back then it was a college, now they call themselves a university...

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Well, stupidity is to be expected in Prince George's county.:sad20:

Well, Netryeder's theory would make sense... ...on the southbound side, because it's a 3-way intersection with the side street coming in from the west.

But like I said, why not simply add a merge lane on the right side like they did at Solomons Island Rd and Birdsville?:shrug:

AND, it get's better.

They did the same thing on the northbound side, which pretty much negates the theory of the merge lane because in order for traffic to get out from Leeland Rd to go north, the northbound traffic will be stopped by the red light.

THAT makes no damn sense at all. What I would have suggested, since it's a 3-way intersection, would have been something like what was done at Solomons Island Rd and Plum Point Rd in Huntingtown.

I'm sure glad you like that intersection in Huntingtown. Of course you probably don't get stopped by the red light in the north bound lane at 11:00 pm when there are no other cars on the highway and have to wait for it to change. This again is an example of the squeaky gear getting the grease. Since that intersection was redesigned, there have two fatal accidents in a short time. Don't get me started about Rt 4 in Calvert County. It seems every redesigned intersection was designed by Ray Charles. It seems that ever since all the "upper crust" from PG and DC has filtered down to the county they want to make city streets out of country roads.

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm sure glad you like that intersection in Huntingtown. Of course you probably don't get stopped by the red light in the north bound lane at 11:00 pm when there are no other cars on the highway and have to wait for it to change.

Believe it or or not, in the 8 years I've been running down there I've never seen that. Although it does make my blood pressure spike when a light changes for no reason.:mad54:

This again is an example of the squeaky gear getting the grease. Since that intersection was redesigned, there have two fatal accidents in a short time.

Well, being at the bottom of a hill like it is, that does increase the potential for rear end collisions. Hopefully the warning flasher they put up will help mitigate that. As a trucker I've learned to appreciate those.

Don't get me started about Rt 4 in Calvert County. It seems every redesigned intersection was designed by Ray Charles. It seems that ever since all the "upper crust" from PG and DC has filtered down to the county they want to make city streets out of country roads.

I hear ya. Harford county suffers from the same plague.:sad20:

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    Seriously??? Not much experience there 'eh?

Counting myself as one of those "certified" Civil Engineeers... only I got my degree from a little po dunk engineering school in WTF Upstate NY... back then it was a college, now they call themselves a university...

you didn't happen to attend Clarkson did you?

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    When it was simple...

Attachments

• When Crofton was Simple.jpg
      When Crofton was Simple.jpg
      121.4 KB · Views: 209

swimtb

Jul 17, 2013
    crofton area
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that see's this as an accident waiting to happen. It's on the same line of logic as Rt3 N at 450 where there is the shoulder lane on the right that begins before 450 and quickly ends right after. Its for the impatient drivers that have to be the FIRST one at the light. Drive safely everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom