• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I actually wound up buying this for $15 more (once you included shipping on the RF upper and the free shipping on the KG):
    http://www.karrisguns.com/catalog/product/478af6e422af432caef3eb8fb3ed0d36

I wanted a slightly longer barrel, plus the twist rate is 1:7, which is useful in an SBR.

ETA: this is going on a pre-ban SBR, which had a flash hider and LAW folder at one point in time. (LAW folder is now long gone.)

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Saw this on a black Friday deal that gets it down to around $250 :

http://www.radicalfirearms.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RFUpperV1.0.75&CartID=1

I already have an 11.5 in barrel and thought this might be a fun little range toy.

Basic question is if I do buy this, do I need to change the buffer out or do anything other than taking one upper off and putting this in ?

I actually haven't that muct luck with barrels that short. Anyone want to voice an opinion on that?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I thought it did not matter on a pre Oct stamp and as long as it was not permanent and put back to what the stamp said it was fine ?
    It's a little unclear as to how it all works with pre-ban SBRs on a form 1. Yeah, it might have been sold to you as a 16" ALG, but you remanufactured it into a non-ALG non-copycat gun. You're best off simply saying it was < 29" OAL or was a copycat at some point in its life - no one will ever be able to verify that either way. There's also that Engage lawsuit going down... unlikely the MSP are going to hassle anyone on this particular issue.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Saw this on a black Friday deal that gets it down to around $250 :

http://www.radicalfirearms.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RFUpperV1.0.75&CartID=1

I already have an 11.5 in barrel and thought this might be a fun little range toy.

Basic question is if I do buy this, do I need to change the buffer out or do anything other than taking one upper off and putting this in ?

May I recommend saving your monies for an Adams Arms 7.5" piston upper. No need for any special buffers or springs. with or without a suppressor. So much fun and so little guess work, that I got two ;) No problems with bullet stabilization up to 62gr and no baffle strikes on a Specwar 556. However, I wouldn't push it past 62gr. Good luck.

http://www.westernsport.com/Adams-Arms-Tac-EVO-Upper-AA-UA-7-5-P-TEVO-557-p/aa-ua-7.5-p-tevo-556.htm

http://www.westernsport.com/Adams-Arms-Tac-Elite-Upper-AA-UA-7-5-P-TE-557-p/aa-ua-7.5-p-te-556.htm

Yeah, I know $700 is spendy, but it's very high quality.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How does the LAW say that a pre-Oct 1, 2013 SBR should be treated?

Hmm, it is sort of quiet.

MSP uses the official interpretation that the date of MANUFACTURE of an SBR is the deciding factor of whether FSA2013 applies.

So do you want to be the test case of having a greater than 29" SBR pre-Oct 1, 2013 and now making it shorter? Please do, so the rest of us can learn how the courts will treat that situation.

As always, you are free to interpret the law as you see it, and do what you want to do. Personally, until or unless some things change, I would NOT make an SBR shorter than 29" now, unless I have some way of showing that it existed in that configuration prior to Oct 1, 2013.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    How does the LAW say that a pre-Oct 1, 2013 SBR should be treated?
    Personally speaking, I believe the law says you can build it < 29". It's not like the MSP interpretation is the law, and it's also not even in COMAR.

In any event, the chances of you being questioned about an SBR that was approved and built pre-ban from a registered ALG is so tiny that it's not something people need to lose sleep over. The MSP knows damn well that the GA was trying to exempt pre-ban guns from the ban, and that's how they're enforcing the law.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I actually haven't that muct luck with barrels that short. Anyone want to voice an opinion on that?

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar1...ake-shield-for-all18t-and-51t-aac-mounts.html

Ken i run a 7.5 upper on my SBR. I'm using an H2 buffer and carbine spring. This Rifle is LOUD! I have a AAC 51 tooth muzzle device with a SSS QD Break Shield installed while I wait for my form 4 on a suppressor. The Break Shield helps reduce the shooters felt muzzle blast and keeps the peace with others at the range.

I plan to install an adjustable gas block once I recieve the suppressor tax stamp.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The MSP knows damn well that the GA was trying to exempt pre-ban guns from the ban, and that's how they're enforcing the law.

So that is why you can't build a pre-Oct 1, 2013 lower into a <29" SBR???

Because MSP is enforcing the law exempting pre-ban guns????

Your choice.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So that is why you can't build a pre-Oct 1, 2013 lower into a <29" SBR???

Because MSP is enforcing the law exempting pre-ban guns????
    Different situation. When you do a form 1, you are creating an entirely new gun. The BATFE's position on that is logical and consistent, given that you'd create the new gun after the ban.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You know, I've been letting this percolate in my brain for a while, and then I realized something: if you ever attached a 5.56x45 non-HBAR upper to your SBR lower after you had attached an SBR upper to it, you've should be good to go. After all, it was a new SBR firearm that wasn't an ALG, but then you went and turned it into an ALG before the ban, right? You'd have to done it all before the ban, of course...

I know I made a habit of doing this just to make sure all of my uppers would play nicely with a new SBR lower. Hmmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom