• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    Hi guys,
    I just had a great weekend taking my hunter safety class.
    one interesting thing the instructor pointed out about the MD rules for blaze hats, was that they had to be a solid orange color, no markings or art.

So while at bass pro gearing up with some muzzle loader stuff I wandered over to the orange hat area, spoke with the really cute sales girl and she thought i was fooling her, ALL of the hats they were selling had some black art or trademark stitched into it. After some time talking the only thing she could find was a cheap hoody cap. I bought one.

Just an odd observation.

Don

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    It looks like he is right. I can't say I have seen too many solid orange hats.
    here is a clip, emphasis mine.

Whenever hunting, both hunters and companions must wear either:

A cap of solid fluorescent orange color (worn as an outer garment on the head at all times); since it doesn't say 'or' here, maybe it is at all times
    A vest or jacket containing back and front panels of at least 250 square inches of solid fluorescent orange color (worn as outer garment at all times); or
    An outer garment of camouflage fluorescent orange worn above the waist which contains at least 50% fluorescent orange color.
    Persons required to wear fluorescent orange that hunt from a ground blind that has four sides, a top, and is placed no more than 4 feet above the ground must display, on or within 25 feet of the blind, a cap of solid fluorescent orange color or a panel, band, strip, or garment containing at least 250 square inches (approximately 16" x 16") of solid fluorescent orange color.
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/fluorescent-orange/

So yes, if you wear only a hat, then it has to be solid orange.

Last edited:
    Jan 13, 2014
    I have a stocking cap that is solid orange. I think I bought it at Dick's. Just remember the deer can't see the orange so no matter how much orange you wear, it won't matter to the deer. I've seen pictures of guys hunting in the midwest and they wear those orange jumpsuits.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    sadly logos are the name of the game with hunting gear, I picked up a nice underarmour cap that fits that almost to the T but with their logo on the front in yellow.

another observation, has anyone been able to find any "Red Blaze Orange" the "Yellow Blaze" is harder to see over distance.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There plenty of b.orange ski type caps that don't have logos on them. You can put them over a billed cap if a brim is needed. Also, you can buy a b.orange ball cap if the logo is embroidered on, can be cut out of the hat using a sharp knife.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I don't wear a orange hat but the vest instead. But if you got on a orange vest then the hat with a logo on it dies not matter

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have worn and been checked by many a game warden/dnr officer and never had an issue with an orange hat that has a small logo embroidered on it.

I think as long as the bright orange is clearly visible on the hat from all angles, at a distance, then you will be okay. The main thing is you can't use 'orange camo' style hats if you are not also wearing an upper clothing garment that has at least 50% orange.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    I got my son and I solid orange baseball style hats at Walmart. If memory serves me they were only $5 a piece. No logos...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Having had blonde hair my entire life, I have found a BRIGHT orange hat to be mandatory for me to go into the woods. Even with that, I had someone shoot over my head back in my younger days. No more than a foot over my head. Talk about being pissed...

Jim Smith

shooting again

Feb 27, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    As a side comment, the nature of the questions and discussion demonstrates how sloppily our legislators work. If they were serious about their business then they would research reality (as in, what kind of garments are available for purchase) and consider such obvious questions when they write the legislation. Many similar details and errors of fact were observed in the multiple discussions about SB 281 earlier this year. Let's be sure we keep the pressure up in Annapolis during session this year.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I wish we could wear camp orange out here. For big game it is 500 cubic inches of daylight fluorescent orange and a hat to go with it. No camp orange. But for small game you can full camo with no orange. I also had trouble finding a hat with no markings. Depends on the game warden you run into. I settled on a daylight fluorescent orange broncos hat and havent had a problem yet.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Best bet is to wear more than required. Personally, I wear a hat, vest and tie a second hat or second vest to my backpack while I'm walking. Sure, I don't want to run afoul of the (somewhat random/odd) regs, but more than that I don't want to get shot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For years had been verbally told that "solid orange" ment no blaze camo, but small logos were ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom