• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have been looking into building an ar 15 strictly for hunting purposes and liked what I saw in the ballistics of the 6.8 but it doesn't seem many manufactures make uppers any more. I know remington screwed the pooch when it first came out and they have made changes on the twist rate and number of grooves in the barrels. Do you think the 6.8 will be a hand loaders only round in a few years or will it re gain some popularity?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think it is hard to say, there are many options for AR uppers and I'm not sure which ones will win out. I think ammo for most of them will be around for years to come but many are too close together for them to all survive.

I've wondered about a hunting AR also but have been confused by the options and concern I'll get one which loses.

Same for the "thumper" rounds for the AR, 458 Socom, 50 Beuwolf, 450 Bushmaster, etc (sorry if I have names mixed up). Not sure which of those will win in the end so I'm waiting there also. The price for large caliber uppers also made me pause.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yup. But the fans of the rounds will reload if it comes to it. They are vested and dedicated.

Some people are convinced the 5.56 is inferior and go to great lengths to support their fantasy.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I've been checking out the 68 forum and it seems a lot of guys use silver state armory ammo. Some of the chrono results from their ammo is really impressive a 85gr barnes tsx at 3000fps!! They also have a 110gr tsx at 2700fps. I have use SSA for 308 ammo and found it very accurate. They are a small company so maybe even if the big ammo company's drop the 6.8 SSA will keep it alive. I hope so because I believe it's probably the best non wildcat cartridge for small to medium game hunting in a ar15.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    6.8 spc has been on it's way out since it's inception according to nay sayers, but the truth is the round is not going anywhere IMO it has increased popularity with a lot of new ammo manufactures coming out with fairly priced ammo offerings. I have been buying ammo at .60 cents a round on average. The round has been adopted by a handful of military forces, LWRCi has a huge contract due to this. When I persaonlly think of AR15 calibers the top three are 5.56, .300 blk, and 6.8 spc, so i don't see how it is going anywhere for a good while.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/01/20/lwrc-6-8-spc-300-blackout/#

http://outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=22159&articletype=article&key=us-military-from-556-to-68-spc

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I hope not. I expect to be getting a barrel here in the next month or so, but I will be reloading for it, too. If it went away, I guess I would have to buy another barrel.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I've read about the 6mm Hagar, based on the SPC case, but it doesn't seem to have a large following. Given the love for 6mm, I am surprised.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I got one just for whitetail in Md. Its a handy little rifle that also keeps me legal on muzzle energy. And I can load it for very very reasonable prices.

Fiddlersgreen

IYACYAS
    Nov 4, 2014
    Harford County
    If you're planning on using it for hunting I think you'd be fine. I wouldn't go that route for a tactical ar personally. Also be careful if you have 5.56 ammo as it can be easy to confuse in the mags if you arnt paying attention.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's too early to tell. 17HMR looked on its way out a couple of years ago but now looks to be making a resurgence (possibly driven by expensive, scarce 22LR).

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have been looking into building an ar 15 strictly for hunting purposes and liked what I saw in the ballistics of the 6.8 but it doesn't seem many manufactures make uppers any more. I know remington screwed the pooch when it first came out and they have made changes on the twist rate and number of grooves in the barrels. Do you think the 6.8 will be a hand loaders only round in a few years or will it re gain some popularity?

If you are dead set on building an AR15 for hunting, take a look at the 300BLK. You can cut down 223 brass, then form it, so you can have a never ending supply of 300 brass. If you already load 308 and 223, your component source list won't change very much if you want to reload. Your component list will be a hybrid of 308, 223, and some hard to find powders.

You can also look at building an AR10 in 308.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I like the 6.8, it does what I want with my handloads, and even if I do something stupid like put a mag of 6.8 in my 5.56 rifle, it won't chamber, unlike doing the same with the 300 BLK. I don't have a suppressor, so the Blackout is kind of useless for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom