Home defense... how do you keep your gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    As someone with kids, I use a basic guideline of at least 2 steps beyond their ability to fire the weapon. As they grow older, I'm going to have to rethink that strategy. Currently, I have a quick access safe. Beyond that I have a full mag, barely unseated, with chamber empty. I drill tap-rack so that doesnt seem to add too much time to the equation.

I also fully acknowledge my choice is most likely nonsensical to people more proficient in pistol use, but I will lean very heavily towards the safety side of things until I feel a lot more comfortable with them. I've seen the stats on using a gun for home defense vs a kid picking one up and hurting themselves. So with that in mind I want to make sure on my worst day of forgetfulness, or stupidity, that there is zero chance one of my kids could harm themselves with it.

Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    A screaming alarm that you can trigger will mess up the mind of any criminal. I keep one for my wife to use. Also a deadbolt on your bedroom door. Save your ammo for the range...

Yes on the alarm. No on the deadbolt... my three boys would be on the wrong side of the door. That's not going to happen. Related topic... I have three boys 13, 11, and 9. Any suggestions on how to deal with them, gun safety, etc. Would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Due to kids being in the house who are now mobile I've had to change (or un-lazy) myself.

I have a wide selection of firearms to snag out of the safe. Not all of them are loaded but I have a simple rule. If there is a magazine in the gun there is a round in the chamber. If the gun isn't in a holster there isn't a magazine in it.

I don't typically walk around the house with a firearm. I haven't yet stashed different safes throughout the house although adding one in the basement is likely going to happen soon as the more time I spend in the basement the more noises I hear throughout the night. I'm more worried of the actual boogie man than a home invasion.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    in marylandistan.... hear noise, wet pants, call police wait 35 minutes, see belongings leaving home. do nothing. consider going for firearm think about ramifications of such, give up and realize that you'll go to jail for your actions.call insurance in the morning.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I have guns all over the place locked and loaded and I keep one on me as much as I can. I have them hid all over the farm locked and loads I st in case but also cause I don't have room for all of them in the house.

Maybe I am a real gun nut

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    I have a Glock 19 and keep it in a safe with a full magazine, but no round in the chamber. It is in a safe that I can get in in about 5 seconds. How do you all keep your home defense gun? I understand that, if the worst happens, I'll be using precious time racking the slide to chamber a round, but as a relative neophyte gun owner, keeping the chamber empty is a matter of comfort/safety (mostly my wife's comfort). Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the ultra reliable Remington 870-P 1st round is less than lethal (I have teenagers and like al teenagers they have been known to sneak out) the others double 00.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    As someone with kids, I use a basic guideline of at least 2 steps beyond their ability to fire the weapon. As they grow older, I'm going to have to rethink that strategy. Currently, I have a quick access safe. Beyond that I have a full mag, barely unseated, with chamber empty. I drill tap-rack so that doesnt seem to add too much time to the equation.

I also fully acknowledge my choice is most likely nonsensical to people more proficient in pistol use, but I will lean very heavily towards the safety side of things until I feel a lot more comfortable with them. I've seen the stats on using a gun for home defense vs a kid picking one up and hurting themselves. So with that in mind I want to make sure on my worst day of forgetfulness, or stupidity, that there is zero chance one of my kids could harm themselves with it.

I also have teenagers and for home defense I use the Remington 870-p. The first round is less than lethal just in case it is one of my kids sneaking in or out.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I can't believe no one has a revolver taped to the underside of their toilet tank.
    You may as well leave your doors unlocked.

I thought that was our little secret. :D

Just kidding, good one.

Beat me to it.

What do you think of the idea of taking your bedroom door and frame and making it a reinforced outside door?

I actually did that on my outside doors.

Um. We should chat.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I always have a gun on me or next to me 24/7 plus others in spots around the house. The dogs will tell if something is happening usually outside nosies. In fact I'm armed as I write this post. Chris

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    SO i'll keep it real...................I don't

I have a small cheap safe next to my bed that with the lights out would take me six months to get in. The sole purpose of that safe is so I can quickly lock up my gun after work in the same location I change clothes, and quickly grab my gun before work in the same location I get dressed. I've come to the conclusion if I am going to be the victim of a violent crime it's not going to be in my own home. At least not anytime soon since my family is super tight, have great relationships with others, are honest, and don't deal drugs. I used to just drop the glock on the night stand but that wasn't so much for quick access as it was lazy (before kids).

I think the older I get the more I realize I'm 1000000x's more likely to be a victim of a lightning strike or credit card fraud than a home invasion and ive locked up/helped lock up thousands of violent criminals! While decent products themselves the idea of "stashing" guns around in easy access spots becomes way less appealing to me daily! I'm not knocking anyone who does it, your house your rules! I just find it to be more of a "cool" factor vs actual need!

Also Bart I will advise this, I know none in the chamber makes you feel a little safer but if the point of your gun is for home protection............put a round in the damn chamber! If you feel the need to have to protect yourself inside the house than you don't need any extra steps when dealing with an already stressful situation when you could be potentially groggy!

:thumbsup:

I have young children in the house.

I keep a Glock 17 loaded, one in the chamber, in a biometric safe near my bedside.

I agree with the odds that mpdc states and do not really feel a threat in my neighborhood. But I also have my setup to give me something in the event, and make me feel safe about my situation.

You have to do what is comfortable for you.

user_617905

Aug 26, 2017
    Columbia
    Remington 870P under bed loaded 6+1 with 00 buck. Action kept open with round sitting on the carrier. I do not have to worry about children or other family members getting their hands on it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Teach those young'uns as early as possible. I did. When they became inquisitive, I'd use that as a teaching moment. My youngest, starting shooting at the age of 4 years old. The others didn't start until they were 7. But he also rode his bike without training wheels just after he turned 3 years old.

During this entire time, if they wanted to see any of my firearms, I'd make time to have a one on one teaching experience with whatever firearm they wanted to see. So for them, a firearm wasn't some mystical, magical toy for them. It was not to be taken lightly. Not one of my kids ever tried to get a firearm out of the safe on their own.

Look at the recent news stories where a young person was home alone and they knew what to do with a firearm. That's the type of teaching we need for our children. Then having a loaded firearm in and around the house is not a big deal to them.

Just one man's opinion.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Whatever I am carrying goes on the nightstand along with the extra mag and a gazillion lumen flashlight.

Ditto with Mrs. Stove's side of the bed.

No minors currently reside in the Stove Palace.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I am just wondering, I had a small child in the house , heck hes back there now after women problems but hes 33, and I never made any special attempts to hide my guns from the boy. I started teaching him about guns and gun safety about the time he could talk and I never had a problem.

is it that others don't trust their kids or do kids listen less now than they did 30 years ago? whats the deal with all the hiding your guns? hell I always thought I was more likely to have an accident than the boy was. like I have said many times here before, I played and still play with my guns like they are my toys, because they are.

just wondering.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I don't leave any firearms unsecured. I've taught my children and grandchildren gun safety, but I guess I don't have the same confidence that my mother had. When I was growing up the guns were on the rifle rack, and when I was like six one of my chores was making beds, when I did my moms bed I had to move her .32 revolver from under the pillow and put it back. I don't think she thought twice about it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I also have teenagers and for home defense I use the Remington 870-p. The first round is less than lethal just in case it is one of my kids sneaking in or out.

Bad idea for 2 practical reasons, and 1 potential legal problem. Less lethal rounds often times can kill, or cause permanent injuries. With a weapon as slow to reload, and recover from recoil, you may only get a chance to fire a single round at an intruder. Best bet is a good light, training in it's use, and practice at home, regardless of the target, you should identify it before sending lead it's way. The potential legal problems with mixing lethal and "less" than lethal weapons(or warning shots) is in a grey-area shoot, where it has been argued when a threat is hit with a lethal round, that the LNL round could have been used, and when the threat is only hit with a LNL, that you were not in fear for your life, if you were you would have used a lethal round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom