Home defense... how do you keep your gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Hahaha...I just PM'ed you about this. THANKS!

Yeah, I thought I would save you some trouble. I looked all over the web and it looked like a size3 was right, so I got one. It worked but the fit was sloppy, so since uncle Mike's aren't expensive, I ordered the size2 and it fit perfectly. The size 3 fits my E. German Mak well.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Hahaha...I just PM'ed you about this. THANKS!

Yeah, I thought I would save you and anyone interested some trouble. I looked all over the web and it looked like a size3 was right, so I got one. It worked but the fit was sloppy, so since uncle Mike's aren't expensive, I ordered the size2 and it fit perfectly. The size 3 fits my E. German Mak well.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

i encourage you and everyone to shoot a few idpa and/or uspsa and even 3 gun matches using your HD or CC firearms. it's not tactical training by any stretch but a great way to see how your guns, gear and you perform under a little pressure.

Good advice. I "field" test a number of pistols this way. Discovered that 1911s don't work well for me under pressure situations unless I disable the backstrap safety (which I haven't bothered doing as I have other options that I prefer for HD and CC, including a trusty Glock 32).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BartExp

Ultimate Member
    SO i'll keep it real...................I don't

Also Bart I will advise this, I know none in the chamber makes you feel a little safer but if the point of your gun is for home protection............put a round in the damn chamber! If you feel the need to have to protect yourself inside the house than you don't need any extra steps when dealing with an already stressful situation when you could be potentially groggy!

Decent point. I debated about this. If I keep it in the quick access (to be determined) safe, then there is really no need to not have 1 chambered.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I can't believe no one has a revolver taped to the underside of their toilet tank.
    You may as well leave your doors unlocked.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Decent point. I debated about this. If I keep it in the quick access (to be determined) safe, then there is really no need to not have 1 chambered.

I'll state it publicly..............I think those that carry without one in the chamber are just plain silly and doing it for show!

That's a debate for another thread though but if you feel as those you need a gun for SD (and I'm not knocking anyone for it, it's a legit notion) than that gun needs to be ready to!!! You don't charge your tool batteries right before you going to use them you keep them charged so when you need them they are ready.

You don't turn your house water on to wash the dishes.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I can't believe no one has a revolver taped to the underside of their toilet tank.
    You may as well leave your doors unlocked.

Placed there by someone who knows what they're doing.

You don't want to come out of the bathroom with just your d!ck in your hand.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member

uncfolife

Mar 3, 2017
    Fort Washington, MD
    I keep the rifles in the safe with a loaded mag. A shotgun in the closet and a loaded revolver by the bed. I feel that a revolver is a great option for those who don't feel comfortable with a round chambered in a semi auto.

Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    The lack of a round in the chamber is more due to having three young sons, and a wife nervous about having a gun in the house at all. I understand the "if you don't have a loaded gun on every floor of your house, what the hell are you doing?" Viewpoint, but my view is that I am better off now than I was totally unarmed, and i need to train and bring everyone in the house along with comfort, safety, and training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    When I undress to go to bed the EDC goes from the IWB holster that its lived in all day to a Shoulder holster that hangs right by my bedside. Any gun outside the safe (unless being cleaned) is Condition 1 (And yes - true Condition 1 as I only have SA Hammer fired guns - Primarily BHP's and 1911's)

Following the above advice to time Bed --> Safe --> Gun in hand ready. Now time what it takes to get from each entry point in the house to the safe. (The criminal may be able to beat you to the safe or at least before you can be fully armed).

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Yeah, I thought I would save you and anyone interested some trouble. I looked all over the web and it looked like a size3 was right, so I got one. It worked but the fit was sloppy, so since uncle Mike's aren't expensive, I ordered the size2 and it fit perfectly. The size 3 fits my E. German Mak well.

I had the same situation with Uncle Mike's gun belt. Ordered The 38/40 for a 37 inch waist and it was huge. The 34/36 for 37 inch waist barely made it.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    .38 snubby in the nightstand drawer loaded with 6 - jacketed hollow point plus P rounds with 2 speed loaders next to it.

Simplest of all to use,... point and fire!

Fall back weapon is the 12 gauge pump in the closet loaded with five - 00 buckshot in the tube and one in the pipe.

If I need more than that, I am in deep doo-doo!

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    I have a Glock 19 and keep it in a safe with a full magazine, but no round in the chamber. It is in a safe that I can get in in about 5 seconds. How do you all keep your home defense gun? I understand that, if the worst happens, I'll be using precious time racking the slide to chamber a round, but as a relative neophyte gun owner, keeping the chamber empty is a matter of comfort/safety (mostly my wife's comfort). Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A screaming alarm that you can trigger will mess up the mind of any criminal. I keep one for my wife to use. Also a deadbolt on your bedroom door. Save your ammo for the range...

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    Glock 21 trl-1 loaded one in the pipe on top of my bedroom safe if I'm home. Also my badass jack russell will rip your leg off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom