Easier to buy in Maryland or in Delaware?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I have a friend moving in the next few months from Maryland to Delaware. She wants to have a gun for personal protection...probably a revolver or something like a Springfield XDe...something easier to handle.

I'm new to the east coast...thus my question. Should she try to buy something here in Maryland where she has lived most of her life or would she be better off waiting until she moves to Delaware and buying something in her new state of residence?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    In MD she has to have an HQL which if she doesn’t already she won’t be buying until she goes through the process which would be a few months.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    HQL requires a training class, fingerprints, a background check and a processing delay, all of which costs at least $200. Better to wait and do it in Delaware.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Better for DE residents in every way.
    No pre buy license BS.
    No additional fees.
    No tax.
    Walking, buy, walk out.
    No restrictions on handgun choice or mag capacity.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Also to even rent and try out options in MD she’ll have to have an HQL.

Not necessarily, to rent a gun at a range and then use it on the range where you rented it, no HQL is required so she can try whatever she wants (that a range has available) before she moves. I believe the HQL would only apply if the renter was removing the rented gun from the gun owner's premises, and I'm not aware of any range/shop who does that.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Definitely make her purchase in her new state of Delaware. Then with the 200 plus dollars she didn't pay to the Maryland state extortionists, she can buy herself some suitable training. And she can learn good handling and practice good habits right out of the gate. And hopefully, she avails to herself the dual pleasure of both enjoying her new purchase, and flipping Maryland the bird.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Not necessarily, to rent a gun at a range and then use it on the range where you rented it, no HQL is required so she can try whatever she wants (that a range has available) before she moves. I believe the HQL would only apply if the renter was removing the rented gun from the gun owner's premises, and I'm not aware of any range/shop who does that.

Yep I’m wrong on that one- sorry. HQL not required for rental at a normal indoor range.

radnor

Jan 31, 2010
    Delaware
    If a semi, MAKE SURE she can rack it. I've been teaching a lot of noobs lately. I find the S&W EZ is great for ladies. If she moves up into New Castle Co, would be glad to work with her.

If she goes for the CCDW, she'll also need a FULL notarized copy of her driving record from MD. Plus the references need to know her (from the county she resides in) for > 1 yr

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom