• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I am looking at buying a new case and would like your thoughts. I have a CZ457 Varmint and a Ruger 10/22 that are currently being carried in cheap soft cases. I am worried they might get damaged from sliding around or banging into something. I feel like a double hard case might be the way to go. Are the Pelican cases worth the money? Are the Eylar cases comparable to the Pelican cases? Should I keep them in separate single gun cases? I would like some help figuring this all out... Also, is the foam in these cases good or do I need to replace with better stuff? Should I custom cut for the gun? Thoughts....

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Yeah I use the Savior cases and throw the rifles in the bed of the truck. Have not had a problem.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Double cases get heavy and are really bulky if just taking 1 rifle with you. Also, if not secured right in them some will let the rifles hit each other.

So, I would go with 2 singles myself.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I use these and have never had a problem. Can’t comment on the hard case.
    https://www.saviorequipment.com/collections/double-rifle-cases

I checked them out and it appears they are for AR style/tactical guns. The CZ with scope is more of a hunting/target rifle and the 10/22 with red dot is mostly just a plinker. Are you using them for non-tactical gun carry? They look like nice bags. I have a Bulldog that is similar for my AR.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I use the Savior cases for everything from my mall ninja loadout to my Han Solo Blaster. even shotguns sometimes.

the rifle cases don't care what's in them. kinda like my ex gf now that I think about it.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Double cases get heavy and are really bulky if just taking 1 rifle with you. Also, if not secured right in them some will let the rifles hit each other.

So, I would go with 2 singles myself.

This.
    I have a hard case with custom foam for my RPR and is it heavy as hell. But I will be traveling with it at some point, so I got the custom hard case. Otherwise, I would use something a lot lighter.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    I use the Savior cases for everything from my mall ninja loadout to my Han Solo Blaster. even shotguns sometimes.

the rifle cases don't care what's in them. kinda like my ex gf now that I think about it.

Agreed. I use them for everything. Scope or dot or irons. Doesn’t matter. Can stuff a few pistols and 2 rifles in the same bag. Gets a bit heavy, but easier than multiple bags for me.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I am looking at buying a new case and would like your thoughts. I have a CZ457 Varmint and a Ruger 10/22 that are currently being carried in cheap soft cases. I am worried they might get damaged from sliding around or banging into something. I feel like a double hard case might be the way to go. Are the Pelican cases worth the money? Are the Eylar cases comparable to the Pelican cases? Should I keep them in separate single gun cases? I would like some help figuring this all out... Also, is the foam in these cases good or do I need to replace with better stuff? Should I custom cut for the gun? Thoughts....

I have a number of different case types, including hard doubles and singles, as well as soft cases.

To me, the hard doubles are a PITA. And the good hard cases are expensive, especially when the desire is to always transport more than one rifle .

It isn't always obvious, unless you've done some comparisons. But there are huge differences in the quality of soft cases.
    Unless you're talking air travel, I'd look to a decent quality soft case.

I have a number of Midway cases of differing weight, including several of these. At this price point, these soft cases are noticably heavily padded, with quality zippers and pockets.

In a car trunk, or in the back of a pickup, you'd be fine. You'd have to flat out abuse one of these in transport to damage your rifles.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939127599

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I've carried two ARs and two pistols in a nice Pelican case across country. IMO, the Pelican cases are worth the money. But I'm sure there are many other brands that are comparable.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have a Pelican 1750 as a pig hunting case. Nice but it’s heavy as $hit!

Attachments

• A39663E2-9969-489C-9483-F6D6775D7897.jpeg
      A39663E2-9969-489C-9483-F6D6775D7897.jpeg
      76.8 KB · Views: 232

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Yes, pelicans are worth it.

Yes they are heavy.

Still haven't found a reason to not use them. (buy Pelican classic though. The vault series is junk)

As far as custom cutting foam: nah. I usually replace the foam on the non-lid side with a memory foam mattress topper. Contents stay put, but I don't have to change foam or cases depending on what I'm taking to the range.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I thought there was a ratio of Glass $ to Case $. Or if you are carrying $1K in glass around you should have in in an $X case?
    I prefer Vortex for their warranty in case something falls off the tractor/Atv/truck (whistle pig season doesn’t end). If your case seems heavy come stack some hay for a day, it will get lighter.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    I've got a few 20yr+ Pelicans and 10yr+ Starlights with a few Air/Shipping/misc miles on them. The Pelicans as previously mentioned are heavy, the Starlights not so much.
    If you run across a used Starlight in good condition I'd take probably that over a Pelican.

Placing a quality soft case into the hard case for rough trips is something to consider vs custom foam.

StanleyJobson

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 28, 2021
    I third and fourth Pelican cases for the win. I can't tell you how many 1750's I have but they've been worth every dollar I spent for them! Buy once cry once!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom