Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Jobs Board
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old April 30th, 2021, 01:18 PM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightydog View Post
Itís just considered the ultimate. Donít know if you need it based on cost.
Gotcha.
I surely do not "need" that one, but after reading a bit on all 3, saw that the noise level is also super low. Our outside unit is literally 10 feet away from our headboard, so quieter than before is definitely a plus.

My wife's friend, a neighbor, got the same setup just before Christmas 2020. Unfortunately, it was bitter cold out and she was at the mercy of the contractor. She paid over $9000.

I'm a bit disgruntled to have to put out 8 grand for something I can't drive, ride or shoot...lol
71Chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2021, 01:25 PM #32

We can’t even hear when our new 2 stage compressor kicks in or the variable speed air handler. Can only tell when we hear the thermostat “click” on and the drapes start to flutter. We also passed up the “WiFi” model because we don’t need to make any changes to thermostat settings on our iPhone.
Mightydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2021, 02:24 PM #33
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

Quote:
It’s just considered the ultimate. Don’t know if you need it based on cost.
By buying a variable speed heat pump system you are buying comfort. You get efficiency thrown in with it but it’s not a financial decision, it’s a lifestyle decision. A regular heat pump system is either on or off. You get the maximum capacity whether you need it or not. A variable capacity system modulates the output to correspond to the need. What’s really nice about that in our area is that the system will run on low speed and wring the humidity out of the air. A normal system will click on and run a while until the house cools down but not necessarily long enough to get all the humidity out. This is especially troublesome when the unit it oversized and cools the house quickly. We have a lot of summer days around here that are low 80s and humid. That’s when the variable capacity system earns its keep. The components though are very expensive. Almost all systems now come with a 10 year parts warranty so you’re safe for a while.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2021, 02:28 PM #34
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

Quote:
We canít even hear when our new 2 stage compressor kicks in or the variable speed air handler. Can only tell when we hear the thermostat ďclickĒ on and the drapes start to flutter. We also passed up the ďWiFiĒ model because we donít need to make any changes to thermostat settings on our iPhone.
Sorry I responded to your other post without seeing this one. Since you have a two stage heat pump you know what Iím talking about.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2021, 03:51 PM #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Chevelle427 View Post
So...here's what options I have. Opinions welcome....

All 3 include new pad, new service disconnect box, thermostat, air handler, properly wiring up our existing humidifier, and all other related parts, & costs. The Carrier has a "Smart WiFi Thermostat"....whatever that means, lol
All 3 have 10 year compressor and outdoor coil guarantees, as well as all functional parts for 10 years. 2 years on labor.

Bryant 214D single stage 2.5 ton, 14 SEER ..... $5900
Trane XR14, single stage 3 ton, 14 SEER ..... $6275
Carrier Infinity 18VS, 5 stage, 3 ton, 18 SEER ..... $7850

Leaning heavily towards the Carrier

5 or 6 years ago I went with a Carrier Infinity 20 which was the top of the line at the time and it was the best decision I ever made.
House is so comfortable and quiet compared with the 18 year old heat pump we had before, our deck is right by the outside unit and you can barely hear the new unit run while we are on the deck, previous unit would interrupt a conversation.
Costs very little to use the Ac and a huge benefit is it will run at very low speed to dehumidify the whole house.
Heat works well and you actually have warm air coming out of the vent, hard to judge cost because we use a wood stove most of winter but the thermostat says I'm using 80 cents to 3.50 a day depending how much it runs.
The Carrier wifi thermostat works very well and can be controlled with their app.
I probably could have gone with a lower infinity system with the same benefits but very happy with the 20 which looks like has been replaced with the 24.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2021, 04:06 PM #36

Thumbs up

Well, I feel pretty good then. I was already 2nd guessing myself for signing the contract, lol.

They're coming next Saturday to do the install.

Thanks for sharing your review.
Old April 30th, 2021, 04:46 PM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Chevelle427 View Post
Well, I feel pretty good then. I was already 2nd guessing myself for signing the contract, lol.

They're coming next Saturday to do the install.

Thanks for sharing your review.
I think you will be very pleased with how much more comfortable your house will be.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:49 PM #38

That’s a really great way to break that down. I’ve always had the same belief, but have never really been able to articulate it quite like that. I have about 6 of the Bosch heat pumps systems out there I’ve installed on the side and every time it was about comfort and not so much the efficiency aspect.
creativetradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2021, 08:54 AM #39

Supreme Heating and Air Conditioning of Edgemere does good work. Had a RHEEM gas furnace and 3 ton a.c. put in back in 2015. Mike GEE # 443 415 2497.
jr355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2021, 10:26 AM #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr355 View Post
Supreme Heating and Air Conditioning of Edgemere does good work.
Thanks.

I went with Perry Hall Heating & Air Conditioning.

I had originally planned to go with Contemporary Air Systems, but he said he was on the downhill side to retirement, and only offered me one option.

I wanted to go with a company that's not only been around a while (Since 1982), but one that should still be around before any warranty period runs out.

They are A+ BBB rated, have tons of good online reviews, and have done a few of my neighbor's jobs as well. The latest, 4 houses away from me, couldn't be happier with their service, and the unit she got...which is close to same as Augie has, and same exact one as the one I am getting.

A "basic", but "new" setup, comparable to what I had (and have NEVER been happy with), was $6,000, or spend $1,800 more and get a much better, much nearer to top of the line unit. Several people with the same exact setup, praising it on review sites, paid an average of $10K for same as I'm getting for under 8, so that helps the sting a good bit.

Today's a little warm for my fat-arse, so I'm definitely looking forward to this weekend.

Home Page > Forum List > General > Jobs Board