• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    It's 18 degrees out this morning. I need gloves that will keep my hands warm for extended periods of time but still have the size, flexibility and dexterity to fit inside a trigger guard, squeeze a trigger and handle 22 rounds at least...perhaps even .177 caliber pellets. Hopefully without breaking the bank. Ideas?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Whatever gloves I buy with the exception of work gloves, I cut the fingertips off of them. I cannot stand the loss of dexterity gloves cause. Hand warmers are your friend.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've tried quite a few for on duty use and have yet to find any that are thin enough yet actually warm in super cold temperatures. Hopefully someone will come up with a decent candidate.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I have a pair of Outdoor Research gloves that are super lightweight and warm. I bought them from REI years ago and they are still pretty warm, although I now have another pair for the coldest days.

I have no idea what model they were but they cost about $50. If you are able to visit an REI, I would recommend it. They have a lot of options for what you want. You don't have to buy from them but it's great to be able to try stuff on.

eshoremd

May 22, 2014
    Pasadena
    Whatever gloves I buy with the exception of work gloves, I cut the fingertips off of them. I cannot stand the loss of dexterity gloves cause. Hand warmers are your friend.

I agree, hand warmers.

I'm dealing with the same problem. I don't know how many gloves I've tried. Best I can do is a thin fleece Columbia glove in/out of my pockets with hand warmers. When walking I put my gun over my back with my head through the sling so it doesn't slip off my shoulder.

I also want a glove that I don't have to take off to use my phone screen. Man I want it all! I want my cake and to eat it too!

Did you squirrel hunt today?

eshoremd

May 22, 2014
    Pasadena
    I'm not a UA fan but tried these on at BP and they fit really well so I got them. I HAVE NOT had a chance to try them in the field yet. I can get my finger inside my trigger guards with them but its tight. No way I could handle .17 hmr ammo with them.
    https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-sc-reactor-hunt-glove/pid1318575-991

I had returned a pair of these Cabelas gloves because the stitching in the liner gloves (which I liked very much) came apart.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/clo...an-stand-hunter-ii-glove/2843473.uts?slotId=7

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Half finger gloves that are built inside of a mitten for me too. Tuck a hand warmer in there and it’s the best combination of warmth and quick access to bare fingertips for dexterity that I know of.

Attachments

• 64C94B3F-C739-4E48-B00E-157D9151105D.jpg
      64C94B3F-C739-4E48-B00E-157D9151105D.jpg
      62.4 KB · Views: 396

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    Until new technology is developed, I do not believe the OP's gloves are yet made.

I agree. But even a thinner glove will help significantly. I usually where the Mechanix line of gloves when I shoot in the cold. Give enough dexterity to manipulate handguns, AR's, etc. and prevents direct content with cold metal and the weather.

If you don't have the luxury of pausing to warm up your hands for whatever reason, Outdoor Research Poseidon gloves are probably your best bet. They are definitely bulkier and not as dexterous but USSOCOM has been issuing these to SOF units for a while.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Working outside a lot until just recently I find that anything is better than nothing. Even blue and black nitrile gloves give some relief from the cold. For firearm handling I have been experimenting with football receiver's gloves but haven't come to a decsion on whether they are better than thinner gloves for staying warm.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Here's my system. My heavies, my lights, and the Vives I use as liners on real cold days. Remember, the warmer your core is, the less your body will restrict the blood flow to your extremities.
    4f74d5c7299f522a49211251d2849238.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Here's my system. My heavies, my lights, and the Vives I use as liners on real cold days. Remember, the warmer your core is, the less your body will restrict the blood flow to your extremities.
    4f74d5c7299f522a49211251d2849238.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I had to double take on this post. At first I thought you took the photo with all of your gloves on the floor.

I was thinking man, outrider must have wear a sized 5 shoe, or he has gorilla hands....

c3e739f2a27147cbf4a6930bd32ac051.jpg

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    I use the same muff as outrider58, on left hand I put a heavy mitten and for shooting hand I use a light or medium or heavy glove with shooting finger. And I put two hand warmers in a muff.
    For toes I use HOTHANDS insole warmer on a bottom of first set of merino wool socks and on top I put toe warmer. Then a second set of merino wool socks.
    This last Thursday it was about 11*F outside and I spent two hours on a treestand with no problems.
    The problematic part is when deer are aproaching and you need to take your hands off the muff and wait all this time for a shot.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I had to double take on this post. At first I thought you took the photo with all of your gloves on the floor.

I was thinking man, outrider must have wear a sized 5 shoe, or he has gorilla hands....

c3e739f2a27147cbf4a6930bd32ac051.jpg

You've never read my opinions on cherry floors. Lol!

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I'm a big fan of Tillman 24C kidskin TIG welding gloves. For TIG, you need to precisely maneuver very small (~1/16") rod. The feel is great. The fit is great. The cuff is awesome. Fits in the trigger guard of all my toys with no issues. And they're relatively inexpensive.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Half finger gloves that are built inside of a mitten for me too. Tuck a hand warmer in there and it’s the best combination of warmth and quick access to bare fingertips for dexterity that I know of.

With the qualification of handling .177 caliber pellets, that’s the only thing that has a chance. No glove that will fit through a trigger guard and have that dexterity will work.

I like the Elkfork gloves from Midway. They work down to upper 20s for hours in the stand with no liners and can fit through most trigger guards (all the ones I tried). Enough manual dexterity to handle zippers on my hunting pack, open my thermos, probably load a magazine of your typical rifle ammo.

Not going to do pellets or 22lr. Not a lot of even thin gloves would do that.

The gloves could fit a liner and might handle upper teens with a good one.

By handle I mean my fingers will get cold, but not uncomfortably cold or cold enough to lose dexterity and that is after 3-4 hours.

My solution for really cold in a stand or blind and all day would probably be hand warmer and put my hands in my
    Pockets every hour or two for a couple of minutes.

If I lived somewhere where it was regularly in the teens or colder when hunting I’d look at the mitten overs and wear liners underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom