• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So I'll keep this thread updated with what I learn but here is the sorrow story so far.

My partner Jason (many of you have met) purchased an awesome 1887 Colt Lightning MDC Issue.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=527911437

Completed listing above.

The gun is an awesome piece of history and a rare find for the D.C. Police Collector. Fast forward the gun was shipped from a FFL to a MD FFL. A NCIC check was completed on the firearm and it is in fact stolen. MSP will be seizing the gun hopefully to get it back to it's rightful owner (who hopefully wants to sell it when it's all said and done). My buddy is pissed!!!!! We went there and got to FF the hell out of it and only to have it taken away. On top of that he will be out of town and can't really deal with the situation until he returns.

I'll update with info as it's presented to me......not that anyone really cares. Just a cautionary tale. He and our FFL did everything right it's the other side. The seller has been notified so it'll be interesting to see how this is resolved. He wants the gun more then the money obviously

UPDATE

So I spoke to Jason today (1/8) and the seller will be giving him a full refund. Also there is a very rare chance but he might be able to buy the Colt Back from the owner.

Turns out the owner is a FFL in a small town in Ohio and does gun shows on the regular. In 1997 a store employee stole approximately 50 guns, most of which turned up in Florida not long after. Out of all the guns stolen apparently only two were missing........well now maybe just one.

Last edited:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    :thumbsup:

mpdc.jpg

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Man that sucks... Best to not use an FFL to transfer antiques I guess. Any idea when it was stolen?

It doesn't qualify as "Antique" because it shoots a modern cartridge and better he find out now then someone be in possession of a stolen pistol.

Thank you for fixing the picture!!! (I deleted mine)

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA

It doesn't qualify as "Antique" because it shoots a modern cartridge and better he find out now then someone be in possession of a stolen pistol.

Not sure if .38LC disqualifies that pistol (depends on ammo availability), but definitely good to know if something is stolen. Hopefully things work out. Rightful owner probably received insurance money years ago.

Is the seller cooperating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Made in 1883, I believe it's still an antique.

Agreed.

Yeah we looked into it it doesn't qualify.

Not sure if .38LC disqualifies that pistol (depends on ammo availability), but definitely good to know if something is stolen. Hopefully things work out. Rightful owner probably received insurance money years ago.

Is the seller cooperating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think since 38LC and 38SW are essentially the same thing and you can still buy 38SW that's why it needs FFL.

I'm not sure on the other end. Currently all Jason can say is "I'm so F'n pissed!!!!"

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

Yeah we looked into it it doesn't qualify.

I think since 38LC and 38SW are essentially the same thing and you can still buy 38SW that's why it needs FFL.

I'm not sure on the other end. Currently all Jason can say is "I'm so F'n pissed!!!!"

Sill an antique federally and under MD law if pre-1899 regardless of cartridge. The definitions are pretty much identical and both exclude any firearm made pre-1899. The test for modern ammo availability only applies to replicas of antique firearms and whether those are treated as antiques or modern. But like you said never hurts to play it safe.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Sill an antique federally and under MD law if pre-1899 regardless of cartridge. The definitions are pretty much identical and both exclude any firearm made pre-1899. The test for modern ammo availability only applies to replicas of antique firearms and whether those are treated as antiques or modern. But like you said never hurts to play it safe.

Maybe our misinformation was a godsend hahaha :lol2:

Jul 1, 2012
    A very long shot, but are they SURE it's the same gun?
    Colt sometimes re-used the same S/N (series) on different models...

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I hope your friend gets his money back. years ago I purchased a pump .22 from the lgs and a week later the police showed up at the farm and asked a few questions about the gun and asked for my bill of sale and to see the gun, I obliged and the took possession of the gun, locked it in the trunk of the police car and when I asked them about getting my money back from the lgs and they told me he was under no obligation to give me my money back, and he didn't. I always thought that was wrong, but what did I know back then.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I hope your friend gets his money back. years ago I purchased a pump .22 from the lgs and a week later the police showed up at the farm and asked a few questions about the gun and asked for my bill of sale and to see the gun, I obliged and the took possession of the gun, locked it in the trunk of the police car and when I asked them about getting my money back from the lgs and they told me he was under no obligation to give me my money back, and he didn't. I always thought that was wrong, but what did I know back then.

The seller is a FFL, he went through GB, and payed via Credit Card....he should be fine. He doesn't want the money ahahaha he wants his damn gun.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The seller is a FFL, he went through GB, and payed via Credit Card....he should be fine. He doesn't want the money ahahaha he wants his damn gun.

hell if I was him I would want that gun too!!

I truly do hope it all works out for him.:)

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    In 2010 I bought a S&W 686 from a dealer in Utah that I've used many times. When I went to sell that revolver last year, it was flagged as stolen in 2005. No explanation from MSP why it wasn't flagged when I bought it. Anyway, when I contacted the dealer about this, he refunded my money plus the shipping. Hopefully, your seller will be as upfront as mine was. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom