• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    There was a fella here last year that made a "threat" not even related to this forum.

He was arrested, his posts here showed up in the news and was used for not only media but political theater. So to answer your question, yes.

The problem is, if political lackeys are here, and their asking these type of questions, to try and cover the bases for Legislation 2014, it's best to not outright give them the answers to their question(s), don't you agree?

Or should we just hand them 2A and say "do as you wish.".

Wow, I guess I missed that story. That really sucks for that guy, and I bet that was bad for publicity here to.

So, I get that. However, if the last strategy we have to protect second amendment rights is to hide information and hope that it isn't discovered, we are so far gone...

I like arguing with people from time to time. When I argue with people on this topic, 10 times out of 10 I know more about firearms, particularly the ones being banned or regulated, than the people I'm arguing with. I can't argue the point with them unless they have the same facts and technical knowledge that I have, so I answer their questions clearly and honestly, and give them all the same information that I know.

You know what's funny? Once they have it, most people I've argued with were left scratching their heads over why the bans were started to begin with.

I know that this is not applicable to politicians and even venomous anti-gunners, who don't really care to hear the reasons for things or to use their deductive brains. I hope, though, that actually educating, informing, and being open and honest about what we're talking about allows for a reasoned discourse in which the right of the individual to keep and bear arms is the only possible conclusion, the only possible interpretation of the text and spirit of our supreme law.

I don't see "educating everyone with facts" and "retaining our rights and our guns" as a mutually exclusive choice. If it is, boy, are we sunk! You can't hide the truth forever.

For these reasons, I respectfully disagree.

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    Wow, I guess I missed that story. That really sucks for that guy, and I bet that was bad for publicity here to.

So, I get that. However, if the last strategy we have to protect second amendment rights is to hide information and hope that it isn't discovered, we are so far gone...

I like arguing with people from time to time. When I argue with people on this time, 10 times out of 10 I know more about firearms, particularly the ones being banned or regulated, than the people I'm arguing with. I can't argue the point with them unless they have the same facts and technical knowledge that I have, so I answer their questions clearly and honestly, and give them all the same information that I know.

You know what's funny? Once they have it, most people I've argued with were left scratching their heads over why the bans were started to begin with.

I know that this is not applicable to politicians and even venomous anti-gunners, who don't really care to hear the reasons for things or to use their deductive brains. I hope, though, that actually educating, informing, and being open and honest about what we're talking about allows for a reasoned discourse in which the right of the individual to keep and bear arms is the only possible conclusion, the only possible interpretation of the text and spirit of our supreme law.

I don't see "educating everyone with facts" and "retaining our rights and our guns" as a mutually exclusive choice. If it is, boy, are we sunk! You can't hide the truth forever.

For these reasons, I respectfully disagree.

We've educated the masses for 20+ years.

It hasn't changed anything. Food for thought.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Its really sad that we are forced to put on the tin foil hats everytime someone new comes around to ask questions about horribly confusing laws, especially some one new to fiearms. But at the same time the suspicion is.more than warrented given how the enemy operates.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Most of the newbe questions are very similar on a limited number of topics. If someone doesn't like answering them in the regular forum format I suggest they take the time to compile the questions and answers in single FAQ type format carefully worded to not give the "enemy" any ammunition. Then there would be a single place to refer the questioners to and would not generate a lot of sometimes wild opinions that would not look good. The questions will be answered here or elsewhere so the best that can be hoped for is limit the possibility of bad sounding statements.

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    Most of the newbe questions are very similar on a limited number of topics. If someone doesn't like answering them in the regular forum format I suggest they take the time to compile the questions and answers in single FAQ type format carefully worded to not give the "enemy" any ammunition. Then there would be a single place to refer the questioners to and would not generate a lot of sometimes wild opinions that would not look good. The questions will be answered here or elsewhere so the best that can be hoped for is limit the possibility of bad sounding statements.

You mean like these?

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114585&highlight=Sb281

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=109281&highlight=Sb281

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hello everybody. New to the community. Joined to see if anyone could help me with a few questions I have. So I live in the great "gun loving" state of Maryland...I want to get a Sig Sauer M400 Swat (AR-15). Even though
    the government supposedly banned AR-15, I heard there was a workaround (something about an HBAR)...could someone explain that to me. If I don't buy in Maryland, could I buy it at a gun show in Virginia/Pennsylvania and bring it back? Or could I get a buddy living in another state to buy it for me then have it transferred? Sorry if this is a bad set of questions. Thanks everybody.

1) You cannot buy an MD banned firearm out of state. Federal law requires that out of your state of residence purchases meet the laws of the state you are buying in and the state of your residence. So if some dealer actually sold one to you, you would both be committing a Federal crime.

2) If you were somehow able to buy it out of state (moved to another state for a while), you cannot bring it into MD. Any banned firearm purchased Oct 1, 2013 or later may not be brought into the state at all. This is only a MD crime.

3) If you had a buddy buy it out of state for you, that is a straw purchase and is a Federal crime.

4) Also, all transfers for firearms between individuals who are residents of different states must go through an FFL, and the buyer must be present to receive the firearm. Also see #1, as that applies for the transfer though an FFL. And if you buddy just gave it to you, that is a Federal crime.

All of these crimes would lose you your right to own a firearm for the rest of your life.

hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    2) If you were somehow able to buy it out of state (moved to another state for a while), you cannot bring it into MD. Any banned firearm purchased Oct 1, 2013 or later may not be brought into the state at all. This is only a MD crime.

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that someone moving here from another state had only to register their so-called "assault weapons" with the MSP.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that someone moving here from another state had only to register their so-called "assault weapons" with the MSP.

It's only legal if you possessed the firearm before Oct 1. After that, not allowed at all.

No, it is if you live out of state and then bring it in it must be registered. I am too lazy to reference this, but that is dead wrong.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    People must register "regulated firearms" (assault long guns and handguns) when moving into the state with the intent of establishing residency.

It's only legal if you possessed the firearm before Oct 1. After that, not allowed at all.
    Correct.

No, it is if you live out of state and then bring it in it must be registered. I am too lazy to reference this, but that is dead wrong.
    You are incorrect. When you read the registration section in conjunction with the rest of the law, a person must have possessed the firearm before 10/1 to transport it into the state.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    People must register "regulated firearms" (assault long guns and handguns) when moving into the state with the intent of establishing residency.

Correct.

You are incorrect. When you read the registration section in conjunction with the rest of the law, a person must have possessed the firearm before 10/1 to transport it into the state.

Instead of going back and forth I will just prove I am right..it's easier

29.03.01.05. 05 New Residents of the State.. A. A person who moves into the State with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms within 90 days after establishing residency by submitting a registration application in the format prescribed by the Secretary. This regulation does not apply to a person who became a resident of the State prior to October 1, 2013.B. The registration application shall include:. 1) The applicant’s name, address, driver’s license

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

29.03.01.05. 05 New Residents of the State.. A. A person who moves into the State with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms within 90 days after establishing residency by submitting a registration application in the format prescribed by the Secretary. This regulation does not apply to a person who became a resident of the State prior to October 1, 2013.B. The registration application shall include:. 1) The applicant’s name, address, driver’s license

Again, you are incorrect.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:(1) transport an assault weapon into the State; or(2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault weapon.

Exception
    (b)(3) A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, may:
    (i) possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon

Md. Crim. Law Code Ann. § 4-303

Moving into the state is NOT an exception listed to the complete ban on transporting an assault weapon into the state.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD

An AR-15 purchased before 10/1/13 is a regulated firearm and must be registered when one moves to MD to become a resident*.

An AR-15 purchased anywhere after 10/1/13 is not regulated. It is banned. You may not bring it in when you move here.

*Permanent civilian residents only. I'm not addressing military.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom