• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    I got me an AAC 762-SDN-6 back in Feb and STILL haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet but the next few weekends are looking good...

I'd like to hear from owners of this can to know if it would benefit me to somehow "pre-treat" it before I shoot thru it?

Because it's a sealed can with no way of taking it apart to clean the inside, is there some solution I could make/buy to dip it in or spray thru it while it's new (and as clean as its ever going to be) that would make the crud/gunk NOT stick to the inside as much as if un-treated?

Hoping to hear from owners of this or similar sealed suppressors to see what the best way to keep the inside as clean as possible and if some sort of "pre treatment" is even worth it.

Thanks in advance.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    This was put out to me in another thread. I've got no experience with it so I am not endorsing it.

http://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Suppressors/dBFoam.html

Have you asked the manufacturer of the suppressor for a recommendation? That would be my first source before I took a recommendation that may void whatever warranty the can has.

EDIT: If this is the first time you've shot the can, have you had it checked for alignment with a straightness gauge? Does that can mount on a timed muzzle device and if so, was it timed using shims and not a crush washer?

Nothing will ruin popping the cherry on your suppressor like a baffle strike first time out

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    This was put out to me in another thread. I've got no experience with it so I am not endorsing it.

http://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Suppressors/dBFoam.html

Have you asked the manufacturer of the suppressor for a recommendation? That would be my first source before I took a recommendation that may void whatever warranty the can has.

EDIT: If this is the first time you've shot the can, have you had it checked for alignment with a straightness gauge? Does that can mount on a timed muzzle device and if so, was it timed using shims and not a crush washer?

Nothing will ruin popping the cherry on your suppressor like a baffle strike first time out

That foam is used for a "wet" supressor, as a substitute for water or wire pulling gel.

When you thread for a supressor, they will be concentric to the bore. This is how it aligned.

If your supressor mount is a muzzle brake then it should be timed with shims. Rockset is a good idea as well. Do not use Locktite, it releases with heat, Rockset releases with water.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    The Silicone Dot5 ATF might be a contender for the pre-treat assuming you want to treat one. Other than for rimfire it might not really make a difference though.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    That foam is used for a "wet" supressor, as a substitute for water or wire pulling gel.

When you thread for a supressor, they will be concentric to the bore. This is how it aligned.

If your supressor mount is a muzzle brake then it should be timed with shims. Rockset is a good idea as well. Do not use Locktite, it releases with heat, Rockset releases with water.

Not always the case. Some muzzle threadings are turned to the barrel and not the bore. Some bores are not perfectly centered within the circumference of the barrel. When adding a QD device, that also adds to chance of an imperfect alignment.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    What are you using/doing to clean that thing? Mine's getting rather dirty and I'm not sure what will be the easiest way to clean it.

Well, just scraping off the built up lead for now. Just bought some de-leading solvent from Basspro, but haven't tried it yet. Was gonna try and soak it in some Ed's Red between shootings too - with shroud off.

I had mine locked up so bad with lead that it welded itself to the shroud and had to have Engage crack it off for me - and they too had to soak it for multiple days in solvent. This was only after 60 rounds. I used to crack it off and test the looseness every brick, but that is obviously not often enough. This was with CCI Standards for reference. Very quiet when used with that can btw. --JB

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Not always the case. Some muzzle threadings are turned to the barrel and not the bore. Some bores are not perfectly centered within the circumference of the barrel. When adding a QD device, that also adds to chance of an imperfect alignment.

Agreed. I have the Giessele 5.56 alignment rod and it saved me from having a nasty baffle strike on my Mossberg MVP. Sent it back to Mossberg and they replaced the barrel for me. Fortunately, all my other firearms that I use the suppressors with checked out fine.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    A wet tumbler with stainless pins should work well. They sell them at Horrible Freight and they are not too expensive. I have not done this but it gets the most possitive comments.

Before I started pretreating, I cleaned mine in a crock pot with ZEP purple degreaser. I left it in there a day or so abd most of the crud would wipe off.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    A wet tumbler with stainless pins should work well. They sell them at Horrible Freight and they are not too expensive. I have not done this but it gets the most possitive comments.

Before I started pretreating, I cleaned mine in a crock pot with ZEP purple degreaser. I left it in there a day or so abd most of the crud would wipe off.

That doesn't work for leading too though does it? TIA

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I saw that article but I don't use a tumbler nor do I oven bake the Suppressor. For my Warlock II (Aluminum). I do just loosen the parts that have a thread and soak the suppressor in a container with Dot5 Silicone overnight after shooting . Then just wipe off the dirt when I take it apart. Anything That does not come off I scrub using either a brass brush or fine sandpaper. After cleaning I just reassemble everything then submerge again for 2 hours or more then allow the excess Dot5 to drip into a empty glass jar. I return the collected Dot5 back to the soaking container.

One time I forgot to soak the suppressors until more than a week later. It was hard to take the suppressor apart. I soaked it overnight in the Dot5 container and it came apart easy the next day. YMMV.

Having seen the Fireclean /Canola Oil thingie, I admit that I clean my Form1 Suppressors using Canola Oil. For stubborn gunk I that had been in the inner side of the tube I used fine Sandpaper to remove the gunk. Once I reassemble the suppressor, it also gets soaked in the Dot5 Silicone container. Then lithium grease to the threads and the LID

Wfilardo

Jan 21, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    I have had mine for over 3 years probably a 1000 rounds through it. Keep the threads clean a little lube on the 51T button that's it shoot it. The .30 cans don't get dirty like .22 would those need to be done every few rounds but the 556 and .30's are GTG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom