Update: Look what came in the mail today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    After 5 weeks, the C & R License showed up. Now I guess the real fun starts. Figuring out what to go after first.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Congrads, take your time, there still deals to be found, read, ask questions see what you like no need to follow the crowd, there are the standard C&R rifles and handgun everyone likes but its your interest you have to fill or you will just end up buying to turn around and just sale it a short time later. That might be your thing. Enjoy your new money pit. :rolleyes:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats. Did you get that part time job to help feed your newfound hobby? Collecting C&R firearms can be very habit forming.

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    Congrads, take your time, there still deals to be found, read, ask questions see what you like no need to follow the crowd, there are the standard C&R rifles and handgun everyone likes but its your interest you have to fill or you will just end up buying to turn around and just sale it a short time later. That might be your thing. Enjoy your new money pit. :rolleyes:
    Thanks. I know its all about tastes. I will take my time. Keep following what everybody posts and learn. May see something I've never seen and want to take a bite.

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    Congrats. Did you get that part time job to help feed your newfound hobby? Collecting C&R firearms can be very habit forming.
    Nope. Gonna have to make it work with what i got. Now if in the future I think I will need to do side work....then we will cross that bridge at that time.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Nope. Gonna have to make it work with what i got. Now if in the future I think I will need to do side work....then we will cross that bridge at that time.

After many years I'm giving mine up. I wish you luck with your adventures, but I just can't find much anymore to deal with the issues. I've got until next Wednesday to use mine for the last time.

Probably not going to happen.

Good luck and congrats again!

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    After many years I'm giving mine up. I wish you luck with your adventures, but I just can't find much anymore to deal with the issues. I've got until next Wednesday to use mine for the last time.

Probably not going to happen.

Good luck and congrats again!
    Thank you. Im sure you've had a blast, though.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thank you. Im sure you've had a blast, though.

I hope you have as much fun as I did. I, however am not the type to buy and keep it forever. I've tried to buy and then sell to upgrade when possible.

I know people that have their first C&R purchase and they had their license for years before I did. Nothing wrong with that, but not for me.

It is a beautiful thing when you receive the first firearm at your front door. There's not too many feeling as good as that.

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    I hope you have as much fun as I did. I, however am not the type to buy and keep it forever. I've tried to buy and then sell to upgrade when possible.

I know people that have their first C&R purchase and they had their license for years before I did. Nothing wrong with that, but not for me.

It is a beautiful thing when you receive the first firearm at your front door. There's not too many feeling as good as that.
    Thanks. Looking forward to it.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    After 5 weeks, the C & R License showed up. Now I guess the real fun starts. Figuring out what to go after first.

You should come by the shop on a Wednesday evening, we usually have some decent C&R stuff in stock. Or come see us at the Gettysburg show this weekend!

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    You should come by the shop on a Wednesday evening, we usually have some decent C&R stuff in stock. Or come see us at the Gettysburg show this weekend!
    Thanks. I plan on it. I live really close. I went by once a while back, but wasn't sure i was in the right place. And i don't believe it was a Wednesday. Ive since noticed you post your hours each week. i will definitely have to stop in.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Thanks. I plan on it. I live really close. I went by once a while back, but wasn't sure i was in the right place. And i don't believe it was a Wednesday. Ive since noticed you post your hours each week. i will definitely have to stop in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    quick question. When filling out the regulated firearms collector application, it asks for a tracking number at the top. Is that for them to fill in? I would hate to send it in unfinished.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    That's great news. I am due to get mine in a couple weeks. I bought mine to get a few old colt models that I'm interested in getting. What do you C&R guys look for as deals? I keep reading that there used to be more deals and they are getting harder to find. What have missed out on?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That's great news. I am due to get mine in a couple weeks. I bought mine to get a few old colt models that I'm interested in getting. What do you C&R guys look for as deals? I keep reading that there used to be more deals and they are getting harder to find. What have missed out on?

There are still plenty of deals to be had. They just tend to be auction or estate sale deals vs the old wholesaler deals of the past. Your standard Milsurps are climbing in price these days. Back when I first got into C&R collecting, the flood of Mosin Nagants, Steyr M95/30s, Turkish and Yugo Mausers, Enfields, etc. meant that you could buy a relatively decent rifle for $75 or less where the Mosins were concerned, and for just over a c-note in the instance of the others. Shoot, there used to be "Buy one crate, get one free" sales from some of the wholesalers. This all started changing about 10 years ago though. The last "steal" of a deal I got from a wholesaler was a M95/30 for $79 delivered from J&G sales about 5 years ago for Black Friday. They were blowing out their stock not realizing that they were soon going to increase in popularity and cost.

These days, the deals aren't quite as good, but they're still there. P-64s can be had for a good price. Same goes for TT variants like the M57 and TTC. Older civilian and police pistols that haven't quite caught on with the Milsurp crowds yet also tend to go for cheap if you find them in the right place.

It's always good to take copies of your C&R license with you to gun shows. I walked away from Dulles this last show with a very nice 1907 Savage in .32ACP thanks to having my C&R on me. Estate sales are another good source of deals.

You just have to be more knowledgeable these days than you did in the past to find the diamonds in the rough. At $75 or even $125 a rifle, you could roll the dice on a Mosin Nagant sight unseen. Now that they're asking $225 or more for them, you need to know what you're looking for before plunking down your hard earned cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom