• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    These are the repercussions of feel good laws. The MGA wanted to ban AR15 style rifles but decided to allow Colt Sporter HBAR rifles to stay legal for 'sportsmen'. As long as your copycat rifle has HBAR marked in it, it is legal. The 'spirit' of the law says you should be using a heavy profile barrel to copy the Colt 'Sporter', more or less. MSP has been tasked with enforcing a poorly written law.

Hoping it doesn't get worse in '18...

So what would happen if all makers label their AR products as heavy barrel? Will MD legislature ban all ARs altogether without discrimination?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    So what would happen if all makers label their AR products as heavy barrel? Will MD legislature ban all ARs altogether without discrimination?

Because HBAR has a meaning in the AR world, I don't think this will come to fruition. MD isn't a big enough market to drive this wholesale, and any manufacturer that plays games with the terminology will likely pay a price in sales/reputation in states where all flavors of ARs can be purchased.

Note, Ruger almost certainly developed an HBAR to sell in ban states like Maryland, and they took care to ensure their heavy barrels had the right profile. Ironically, Colt, with one of its SOCOM* barrels that Colt labels as a heavy barrel, maybe has the greatest variance.

*I forget the model, but Mopar has posted about it recently

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    Because HBAR has a meaning in the AR world, I don't think this will come to fruition. MD isn't a big enough market to drive this wholesale, and any manufacturer that plays games with the terminology will likely pay a price in sales/reputation in states where all flavors of ARs can be purchased.

Note, Ruger almost certainly developed an HBAR to sell in ban states like Maryland, and they took care to ensure their heavy barrels had the right profile. Ironically, Colt, with one of its SOCOM* barrels that Colt labels as a heavy barrel, maybe has the greatest variance.

*I forget the model, but Mopar has posted about it recently

I'm curious, in those free states, are there some folks who actually buy the Ruger heavy barrel version over the regular standard model?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm curious, in those free states, are there some folks who actually buy the Ruger heavy barrel version over the regular standard model?
    People used to buy Colt HBARs before MD had restrictions. Sales may have been weak in recent years because Colt has stopped selling the 6721 line and I don't think they have a mass produced consumer alternative for it.

Ruger, as Nate said (who can speak authoritatively on the subject), developed their HBAR model with states like MD in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom