• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    My mother in law is leasing a Ford Escape from Diehl’s Ford in Grantsville (Garrett County). She doesn’t drive a lot and she’s only had the car about a year, so I was surprised that they told her she needed new tires already. They told her that the factory tires are not very high quality and wear quickly as a result. They said they would replace the tires for $500, which is quite a bit of money for her since she is old and not working. She came down to the lowlands for Christmas and I took a look at her tires, and they appear to me to have plenty of tread. I put a penny in the grooves of all four tires and the tread is well over Lincoln’s head. There is no way these tires need to be replaced, they are hardly worn at all.

I think Diehl’s Ford is preying on old ladies. Beware if you do any business with them. IMHO, this dealership is criminal in their dealings. Just a heads up.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I was Christmas shopping at Costco with my daughter and when I walked her out to her car she had a flat tire with a gash in it. No problem hon let's go into the tire shop and they'll put a new one on. Nope, they told us since it was a four wheel drive SUV they'd have to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and replace all four at once.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I was Christmas shopping at Costco with my daughter and when I walked her out to her car she had a flat tire with a gash in it. No problem hon let's go into the tire shop and they'll put a new one on. Nope, they told us since it was a four wheel drive SUV they'd have to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and replace all four at once.

BS! How many miles did she have on them? They do recommend getting them in pairs. My Ford Explorer had 16k when one of my 20" Hancooks had a flat. Was able to purchase only one from the dealer. Still close to $300.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    My mother in law is leasing a Ford Escape from Diehl’s Ford in Grantsville (Garrett County). She doesn’t drive a lot and she’s only had the car about a year, so I was surprised that they told her she needed new tires already. They told her that the factory tires are not very high quality and wear quickly as a result. They said they would replace the tires for $500, which is quite a bit of money for her since she is old and not working. She came down to the lowlands for Christmas and I took a look at her tires, and they appear to me to have plenty of tread. I put a penny in the grooves of all four tires and the tread is well over Lincoln’s head. There is no way these tires need to be replaced, they are hardly worn at all.

I think Diehl’s Ford is preying on old ladies. Beware if you do any business with them. IMHO, this dealership is criminal in their dealings. Just a heads up.

That's some scumbag BS. I'd call Ford and just to be a jerk, I'd call the manufacturer of those OEM tires (probably Continental) and report that dealer for disparaging their product and lying to the customer. Ford has been YUUUUUGE on tires sales/service as a means to retain customers on their Service Drive. If they have some ding dongs in Grantsville pulling that kind of nonsense on elderly customers, they should suffer the consequences.

Get an e-mail address, forward photos of the tire tread/depth and their recommendation to replace directly to Ford. I can almost guarantee that you'll get satisfaction.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD

This isn’t uncommon with big retailers. They must follow all manufacture recommendations (car and tire) or they open themselves up to lawsuits. When I went to Costco for tires, they wouldn’t sell me anything but the highest speed rating tires for my car which were of course the most expensive version. I challenged them asking why I would be required to buy tire with a speed rating over 150 mph when I obviously couldn’t drive that fast anywhere AND my car is electronically limited to 135 (from the factory anyway ;)). All I could get was that they had to follow all manufacture recommendations. I got nothing more than the explanation of “Costco policy”. I ended up buying those tires because they were really good tires and they ended up being significantly cheaper than even ordering the lower grade tires online.

I did verify that VW’s recommendation matches what the Costco rep stated. I’m guessing it’s a left over from their recommendations for those in Europe that actually get to drive cars the way they were designed. You can’t expect the person at the register to bend any rules for you, there is simply no upside for them for doing it and there is a lot of downside...like losing their job for not following process.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Sounds like she just got a bad service writer. Some dealers give bonuses for selling tires, as well as batteries and fluid services. Unfortunately this results in some writers getting a bit predatory.

Keep an eye on her mail and email for a survey from Ford. Slam him on the survey and he'll likely feel it on his paycheck.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

You mean all wheel drive? My buddy has a 2016 Suburban and it's AWD. Damaged 1 tire/wheel and had to get all the tires replaced because of that. I forgot the reason for it. Something about even 1 tire higher/uneven to the others tread depth screws up the whole thing.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    You mean all wheel drive? My buddy has a 2016 Suburban and it's AWD. Damaged 1 tire/wheel and had to get all the tires replaced because of that. I forgot the reason for it. Something about even 1 tire higher/uneven to the others tread depth screws up the whole thing.

Uneven tread causes the tires to rotate at slightly different speeds, which the computer reads as a traction variance and engages the AWD differential. And since the uneven tread is always there making the AWD differential mechanism run constantly it burns it up. Or so I am told.

I think Subaru systems and a couple of others are noted for this. I used to replace my AWD BMW tires in pairs and never had an issue. But that's a different system.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

I don't know. It's a Jeep Cherokee. It's been a money pit from day one.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Uneven tread causes the tires to rotate at slightly different speeds, which the computer reads as a traction variance and engages the AWD differential. And since the uneven tread is always there making the AWD differential mechanism run constantly it burns it up. Or so I am told.

I think Subaru systems and a couple of others are noted for this. I used to replace my AWD BMW tires in pairs and never had an issue. But that's a different system.

If it's a newer Subaru, ignoring the STI, they have open diffs front and rear. It used to be an issue on older models with limited-slip rear diffs. I doubt it would cause an issue now unless the stability/traction system notices a slight rotational difference and drags a brake rotor.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If it's a newer Subaru, ignoring the STI, they have open diffs front and rear. It used to be an issue on older models with limited-slip rear diffs. I doubt it would cause an issue now unless the stability/traction system notices a slight rotational difference and drags a brake rotor.

Yes, I don't think it is so much a problem for the brake based AWD systems with open-differentials. That's what my 530xi had (God I miss that car). I used to change tires in pairs and like I said, never an issue in 133K.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I don't know. It's a Jeep Cherokee. It's been a money pit from day one.

Welcome to the Dodge club. I dumped my CPO Charger because even with the powertrain warranty it was costing me more in diagnostics and part failures every month than gas, insurance, and the payment combined. Never again.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Welcome to the Dodge club. I dumped my CPO Charger because even with the powertrain warranty it was costing me more in diagnostics and part failures every month than gas, insurance, and the payment combined. Never again.

Lots of my coworkers have Jeeps...........they also can often be found in rental cars.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I’m no expert, but I’m guessing it has to do with the LSD and different/differences in diameters. I’m slightly retarded, but I wouldn’t put say a 50% worn tire on the back of my Power Wagon with a fresh tire on the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    The age of a tire has something to do with it. Is it possible that your M-I-L misunderstood the reason why they said she needed new tires? I can hear my mother (87yo) coming back and telling me this. If they are that old, they could be hard and rotting. I believe that my scenario is unlikely, but possible.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky

Sad, they were preying on her apparent ignorance as a easy mark. You're doing the right thing posting here.... post as well on yelp, google, better business ect, maybe they will GIVE her new tires to shut you up!

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    It's not just western Maryland. Wendy had service done at a Ford dealership, was told that she needs new brakes as they were very low, she didn't have the time and said maybe next time. Had service done again same place and this time the brakes were fine. I knew that brakes pads don't wear they grow. The dealership finally got rid of the service writers and got new ones including a new service manager and she sounds like she wants your business without dealership monkey business, a nice change in doing business. Chris

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Serious question: do people in western Maryland need more tread on their tires for the winter than the normal minimum? If she was close to needing them maybe it would make sense for her to get them before winter. I never like the end of my tire life to happen during snow season.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    A Toyota dealer tried to get my mom for $4000 worth of repairs. What they didn’t know was she worked for a company that published the service manuals. One of her coworkers took her car to a buddy of his on his lunch hour. That $4000 bill turned into $1100. Now my wife and I are using him too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom