• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    All of my previous NFA transfers have been on an individual Form 4. However, I've got an Uzi in Form 3 transfer now...should I be thinking of getting a trust for this one transfer? Just to save myself the trouble of driving up to Pikesville from Deep Southern Maryland?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Depends on how much you're going to spend on the trust. Given the proposed upcoming changes, it's less of a long-term slam dunk than it used to be.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Trust. So much easier. What up comming changes are you talking about?

ATF proposal 41P. Basically, it would require all trustees to get fingerprinted, photographed, CLEO signoff for purchases. There's been so much opposition that a time frame for the ruling has been pushed back several times now. I think, at this point, there is no time frame for a ruling.

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/10/the-next-gun-grab-atf-41p-targets-nfa-trusts/

EDIT: ATF says "quite some time" before anything happens.

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2015...plementation-for-41p-for-quite-some-time.html

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I'd recommend a trust. That way, the trustee (you) can add and remove beneficiaries any time you wish. Beneficiaries can possess and use the gun without you being there. This eliminates a lot of the complications you'd all have if the gun was owned individually. Brit Stouffer did my trust. She's an IP here and was a delight to deal with.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    The ATF \ executive branch, will probably be making a decision this coming December, along with many other executive decisions on firearms regulations.

The question you should ask, is do you at least plan on getting another NFA item in the next five months? If so, I'd say go for it, but you better hurry.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I'd recommend a trust. That way, the trustee (you) can add and remove beneficiaries any time you wish. Beneficiaries can possess and use the gun without you being there. This eliminates a lot of the complications you'd all have if the gun was owned individually. Brit Stouffer did my trust. She's an IP here and was a delight to deal with.

ALL OF THE ABOVE. Get a trust and don't look back, besides its not like you're going to own just one suppressor.........they multiply on their own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I own several cans already, my last is in Form 4 transfer now. This would be for a subgun. It's simply that for someone living in Deep Southern MD, Pikesville is a 2-hour drive each way.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I own several cans already, my last is in Form 4 transfer now. This would be for a subgun. It's simply that for someone living in Deep Southern MD, Pikesville is a 2-hour drive each way.

Will your local Sheriff sign off? If not I'd go trust for all reasons mentioned.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Right now, a trust is still the streamlined way to go. Make use of one while you can.

Even if the BATFE adds new requirements for trustees in the future, a trust can still be the right choice. Particularly if you have kids or close family members with whom you'd like to share possession of--or eventually pass along to--your NFA items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom