• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Picked this up last week, it had been on my “holy grail” list for German WWII pistols. Made by Armand Gavage in Belgium, not a whole lot is known about these and they certainly don’t pop up all that often.

It’s believed these were in the midst of production when the Germans marched into Belgium in 1940 and many were taken for German service. There is a lot of variance on existing examples...some are blued, some were left in the white. Some have wood grips, others have the black “AG” grips like this one. Some are Belgian proofed, some German proofed, some have both Belgian and German proofs, and others have no proofs at all. There also doesn’t seem to be much of any rhyme or reason in serial number range between the variations either, as examples of each type are sporadic throughout the known range.

Mine is one of the German proofed examples, bearing three eagle/swastika test proofs on the frame/slide/barrel. These guns were not waffenamt marked and only received the test proofs. Estimates suggest ~1500 or so were marked in this manner making it one of the harder to find German marked guns of the war. Neat little fixed barrel design with recoil spring above the barrel.

Unfortunately when I was bidding on it I failed to notice that the magazine was not correct, as correct mags are nickel plated and this one is not (and baseplate is obviously different). Looks like someone took a longer 7,65mm mag and cut it down to fit into the Gavage. Seems well done and looks to function correctly but a bummer none the less. The likely very long and probably expensive search for an original mag begins...the holy grail hunt continues!

Attachments

• 83F9CB0E-5FC6-4153-84C7-E51ABE42ECEC.jpg
      83F9CB0E-5FC6-4153-84C7-E51ABE42ECEC.jpg
      114.3 KB · Views: 505
    • CBC5AF8D-22CC-4ACC-8081-FA877FEB502C.jpg
      CBC5AF8D-22CC-4ACC-8081-FA877FEB502C.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 496
    • 0A5A67D0-A5FC-47BE-9BF4-B69ACCCCE978.jpg
      0A5A67D0-A5FC-47BE-9BF4-B69ACCCCE978.jpg
      113 KB · Views: 571

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thanks for sharing yet another awesome find! A new bit of knowledge gained today, never knew these existed. Was there a lanyard ring on this design? Only ask as I noticed the holes on the grip heel, similar to the French issue Savage 1907.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Thanks for sharing yet another awesome find! A new bit of knowledge gained today, never knew these existed. Was there a lanyard ring on this design? Only ask as I noticed the holes on the grip heel, similar to the French issue Savage 1907.

Thanks! Although it appears they were intended to have a lanyard ring based on the holes, it seems they never actually implemented that feature as no examples have been seen that have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom