Need "PRS" training in early January. Anyone available?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    I have been invited at the last minute to fill in for a competitor to shoot the Mammoth Sniper Challenge, the granddaddy of all PRS matches. The only problem: I'm a neophyte PRS shooter. I'm a well rounded carbine shooter and very fit (took 1st place overall in my most recent Run N Gun match, running ~4 miles with a 52 lbs gear loadout and shooting 5 multigun stages along the way), but have very limited experience shooting long range.

I am seeking a day of training in long range shooting (out to 500-600 yards) to help me prep for MCS. I need to learn things like reading wind, milling with a reticle, positional shooting, etc... all the basic PRS skills. I will be the team's secondary shooter and will have an 18" precision AR in 5.56. My partner will be carrying and operating the 6.5CM bolt rig. I am willing to drive up to 3 hours from Rockville to make this happen.

I am looking to commit to any day between Jan 3 and Jan 9. I'll bring the hot chocolate. Please recommend some local-ish instructors (or yourself, if this is in your wheel house).

Ideally, I would like to find a fellow shooting enthusiast with PRS experience and barter some different training in which I am an SME. Personal fitness, rock climbing/rappelling/ice climbing, or emergency medical response (trauma response, CPR, first aid, etc). My credentials are available and very thorough. I could take you out for a day of climbing and rappelling instruction, or teach a tactical medical/trauma course, or spend a day working out together and then help you formulate a fitness plan going forward. These are just some spitball ideas, happy to come up with something mutually beneficial.

As a last resort, I can also pay a professional trainer, but my budget for the month was already set, then this fell in my lap, and funds are now stretched a bit thin.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Contact Ed Shell (E.Shell) on the forum. I'd find some "funds" and give the man anything. He don't fck around. If anyone can get you right in a time crunch, he can. Good luck.

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    well, if you won a multigun match, you're well on your way for this one. positional shooting you can practice at home via dry fire, using deck rails, tables, windows, chairs, trash cans, cars, fences and all kinds of weird stuff as rests, "shooting" over, under and through. if you can hold steadily on the 'target,' you have a good stable position.

ranging is just math. if you have a hash mark on your scope that is 2moa wide, and a 24" wide target out in the field fills that hash mark, then it is roughly 1200 yards out. since a moa is actually 1.047 inches, the more precise formula is below. this is also something you can practice at home. go measure a neighbor's door or windows, stop sign, etc, then scope them out from your house, do the math and use a rangefinder and see if your results match.

Target Size (Inches) x 95.5 divided by Measured MOAs = Range (Yards), so with the example above it is actually 1146 yards.

wind is a whole another animal and doubt you'll be able to call it from a day's training. even if you have a kestrel, the wind where you are may be completely different downrange. frankly out of every aspect of shooting, wind is probably the hardest to get perfect.

if you haven't done so already, chrono the load you will be shooting (what the ammo box says most likely won't match your actual results), print out a ballistics chart in 25-50 yard increments (or use an app on your phone - i just got 'shooter' for $10 and like it) and then go out and shoot at various distances and make sure your chart/app data is working. this will also give you wind holds. most folks use heavier loads for longer distances, so 69-77g, with their higher BC's and thus a little less susceptible to winds vs 55g.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom