• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    could someone please furnish the documentation/statute/requirement that state licensed instructors have to complete the 50 round CoF to renew their credentials.

thank you.

Clippers69

Mar 7, 2011
    Instructor renewal

You should have gotten an e-mail from the Md. State Police before your certification expires which tells you what to do. If you are not an NRA handgun instructor and your Md. Correctional Training Commission Certification has expired, then you need to have another instructor give you the PPC and fill out the form indicating your score of 80% or better to send to the Licensing Division.
    If you are an NRA handgun instructor and are current, then the State Police will send the certification as an attachment with the new expiration date. They look up the NRA certifications online. I found this out when I got both the letter and the certification.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    yep, thats what i knew to be true as well. hopefully other "instructors" here have read this thread, and are willing to do the research to verify clippers69 answer, if in doubt. there again, if they have already been here, good chance they won't be back to see my response. pity...

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I got my instructors certificate based on my NRA Basic Pistol certification. I don't have to submit a CoF. An instructor's license may be a different story.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    You should have gotten an e-mail from the Md. State Police before your certification expires which tells you what to do. If you are not an NRA handgun instructor and your Md. Correctional Training Commission Certification has expired, then you need to have another instructor give you the PPC and fill out the form indicating your score of 80% or better to send to the Licensing Division.
    If you are an NRA handgun instructor and are current, then the State Police will send the certification as an attachment with the new expiration date. They look up the NRA certifications online. I found this out when I got both the letter and the certification.

I had to do the 50 round renewal as well when I renewed in September. They sent me an email explaining that was the route. Didn't keep the email after I did it.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    For a renewal of the MD MSP Instructor license, you need to submit a copy of the 50 round course od fire and pass. It must be signed off by a current MD SMP certified instructor.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The MSP seems to be having a hard time with all this, esp. Since it seems both the lic. And cert. Do the exact same thing.

TD

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    from the FAQ page of MSP A Qualified Handgun Instructor License should be completed online through MyLicense and submitted. The application should include:
    1. The applicant’s name, address, driver’s license or photographic identification soundex number, Social Security number, place and date of birth, height, weight, race, sex, eye and hair color, occupation, and home and work telephone numbers;
    2. Proof of the applicant’s formal training in the care, safety, and use of handguns, including a minimum qualification score of 80 percent on a practical police course; and
    3. Proof of the applicant’s minimum of 1 year of experience in instruction in the care, safety, and use of handguns.
    4. Upon receipt of a properly completed application, the Secretary shall issue a Qualified Handgun Instructor License to the applicant within a reasonable time.

5. A Qualified Handgun Instructor License expires 4 years from the date of issuance.

Could not find anything in SB281 that states what the requirements for what a Qualified Hangun Instructor License has to be.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Kenpo, I think those are the requirements for someone without a nationally accredited certification. The MSP uses to issue cards to those people. After 2013 they created the QHIC and QHIL and, I think, confused things even more.

I know instructors who have been told the MSP no longer does QHIL and only does the Certificates, been told they had to qualify, been given licenses without qualification, and everything else in between.

Of course it should be the same for everyone, Only thing I have seen consistent is the lack of consistency. TD

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    MSP is making up stuff. Notice when COMAR speaks of QHIC and QHIL they are intermingled. Some of this is from the FAQ section the lower portion is from COMAR. Sorry for the rant. My most recent QHIC renewal was for ~ 3 months. The day they sent the renewal, they also sent the notice of expiration.

FAQ If I am not certified by MD Police & Correctional Training Commission or have a valid certification issued by a nationally recognized firearms organization, how can I be approved to instruct Handgun Qualification License and Wear & Carry Permit applicants
    ​A Qualified Handgun Instructor License should be completed online through MyLicense and submitted. The application should include:
    1. The applicant’s name, address, driver’s license or photographic identification soundex number, Social Security number, place and date of birth, height, weight, race, sex, eye and hair color, occupation, and home and work telephone numbers;
    2. Proof of the applicant’s formal training in the care, safety, and use of handguns, including a minimum qualification score of 80 percent on a practical police course; and
    3. Proof of the applicant’s minimum of 1 year of experience in instruction in the care, safety, and use of handguns.
    4. Upon receipt of a properly completed application, the Secretary shall issue a Qualified Handgun Instructor License to the applicant within a reasonable time.

5. A Qualified Handgun Instructor License expires 4 years from the date of issuance.

FAQ If I am certified by the MD Police & Correctional Training Commissions or have a valid certification issued by a nationally recognized firearms organization, how can I be approved to instruct Handgun Qualification License & Wear & Carry Permit applicants?
    ​A Qualified Handgun Instructor Certificate should be completed online through MyLicense and submitted. The application should include:
    2. A valid copy of the applicants Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission certificate; or a copy of a valid instructor certification card issued by a nationally recognized firearms organization.
    3. A Qualified Handgun Instructor Certificate uses the expiration date that is supplied on the supporting documentation that is provided by the applicant for this process. i.e. a Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission Certified Instructor whose credentials would expire on 12/31/2015 would have their Qualified Handgun Instructor Certificate expire on 12/31/2015.

FAQ How will instructors notify the Maryland State Police that they have certified a student?
    ​The Maryland State Police is aggressively automating many licensing services. The Handgun Qualification License will be automated and the reporting of the training requirement will be communicated to instructors prior to October 1, 2013.​

FAQ When does the Qualified Handgun Instructor License expire?
    ​The Qualified Handgun Instructor License is valid for 4 years from the date of issuance.​

My Note, So here you have MSP saying a QHIC is not required,

QHIC Expires when the date that is supplied on the supporting documentation that is provided by the applicant for this process. i.e. a Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission Certified Instructor whose credentials would expire on 12/31/2017 would have their Qualified Handgun Instructor Certificate expire on 12/31/2017.

QHIC expires in 4 years.

My Note,, Which is it MSP? 4 years or when my NRA credentials expire? This is not in COMAR.
    Since this is my first renewal, my first QHIC was longer than 2 years. You are wrong. You can't add stuff into COMAR just because you are the SP.

COMAR HERE.

.37 Qualified Handgun Instructor — Generally.

A. A person is a Qualified Handgun Instructor if the person has:

(1) A valid Qualified Handgun Instructor License issued by the Secretary in accordance with Regulation .38 of this chapter;

My note, This is ambigous based on the wording of 29.03.01.38 as you will see below.

(2) Been recognized by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions; or

(3) A valid instructor certification issued by a nationally recognized firearms organization.

B. A Qualified Handgun Instructor shall provide proof of certification or qualification to the Secretary before providing instruction to an applicant for a Handgun Qualification License or a handgun permit.

C. Upon a person’s satisfactory completion of an applicable firearms training course, a Qualified Handgun Instructor shall:

(1) Provide the person a Firearms Safety Training Certificate that includes:

(a) The person’s name and date of birth;

(b) The instructor’s name;

(c) Whether the completed course was a Firearms Safety Training Course or a Handgun Permit Training Course;

(d) The length in hours of the course;

(e) The date of course completion;

(f) The location of the training;

(g) A declaration certifying that the course met the minimum standards prescribed by the Secretary; and

(h) A declaration certifying that the person completed the course; and

(2) Submit the requisite information to the Licensing Division, Department of State Police, as prescribed by the Secretary.

.38 Qualified Handgun Instructor License — Application.

A. If a person has not been recognized by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions or does not have a valid certification issued by a nationally recognized firearms organization, then the person shall obtain a Qualified Handgun Instructor License before acting as a Qualified Handgun Instructor.

B. A Qualified Handgun Instructor License application shall be submitted in the format prescribed by the Secretary.

C. The Qualified Handgun Instructor License application shall include:

(1) The applicant’s name, address, driver’s license or photographic identification soundex number, place and date of birth, height, weight, race, sex, eye and hair color, occupation, and home and work telephone numbers;

(2) Proof of the applicant’s formal training in the care, safety, and use of handguns, including a minimum qualification score of 80 percent on a practical police course; and

(3) Proof of the applicant’s minimum of 1 year of experience in instruction in the care, safety, and use of handguns.

D. Upon receipt of a properly completed application, the Secretary shall issue a Qualified Handgun Instructor License to the applicant within a reasonable time.

E. A Qualified Handgun Instructor License expires 4 years from the date of issuance.29.03.01.39

.39 Qualified Handgun Instructor License — Renewal.

A. A Qualified Handgun Instructor License may be renewed for successive periods of 4 years.

B. A Qualified Handgun Instructor License renewal application shall be submitted in the format prescribed by the Secretary.

C. The Qualified Handgun Instructor License renewal application shall include:

(1) The applicant’s name, address, driver’s license or photographic identification soundex number, place and date of birth, height, weight, race, sex, eye and hair color, occupation, and home and work telephone numbers; and

(2) Proof of the applicant’s experience in instruction in the care, safety, and use of handguns within the past 4 years.

D. Upon receipt of a properly completed renewal application, the Secretary shall issue a renewed Qualified Handgun Instructor License within a reasonable time.

.40 Qualified Handgun Instructor License — Revocation.
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/29/29.03.01.40.htm

.41 .41 Qualified Handgun Instructor License — Appeal.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/29/29.03.01.41.htm

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Sure they can add stuff.

The live fire requirement was not in FSA 2013 but MSP put it into COMAR.

It's great to be a Democrat

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Sure they can add stuff.

The live fire requirement was not in FSA 2013 but MSP put it into COMAR.

It's great to be a Democrat

Your correct,,. My wording is wrong. They are adding stuff that they require or do that is not in COMAR and or is in conflict with COMAR. Like how they issued a QHIC for less than 4 years. I did quote MSPs FAQ and I posted COMAR. All I see is conflict.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Another illustration.

The MSP W&C app says they have 90 business days to process.

The statute says 90 days.

It's great to be the MSP.

:sad20:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    MSP LD Traditions boys! And if they don’t already have one they will invent one to fit their policy regardless of the law and regulations, post it on their website, refer to it as if it were the Constitution, and run head long into a blaze of Patriot MG fire to defend it. Because that is what they have been trained to do.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    The MSP seems to be having a hard time with all this, esp. Since it seems both the lic. And cert. Do the exact same thing.

TD

ding-ding-ding! found it. scroll through and it is as miles71 sez. http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...igationBureau/LicensingDivision/Glossary.aspx

Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor: A person whom the Maryland State Police has confirmed as being certified by either the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions or a nationally recognized firearms organization as a firearm instructor. A Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor may instruct Handgun Qualification License applicants and Handgun Wear and Carry Permit applicants.

Licensed Qualified Handgun Instructor: A person licensed by the Maryland State Police as a firearm instructor who may instruct Handgun Qualification License applicants and Handgun Wear and Carry Permit applicants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom