• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Just discovered that donuts have formed at the inside neck/shoulder juncture of my 9.3x57 cases. New Norma Brass and the donuts occurred on all the cases in the load workup. No signed of pressure and all rounds loaded and extracted easily. I full-length resized the new brass before loading. There was plenty of neck tension while seating, but didn’t think it was excessive. The donut appears to have formed right where the base of the bullet was seated; which is at the top of the juncture of the shoulder to neck transition. Definite bump there on the inside and the spot measures approx 0.005 smaller on the outside at that point. Bullets will not fall thru the fired necks. Loose until they hit the donut and then hand pressure will not even get them past the hump.

I trim my rifle cases, but have never turned necks. Suggestions? Can I just full-length resize again to solve it? Should I not worry about them if it’s below the seating depth? Turn the insides?

Thanks

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    Me too. I was hoping to read about Maple Donuts expanding to Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    donuts.jpg

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Me too. I was hoping to read about Maple Donuts expanding to Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

York PA?

Duck Donuts from OBX is in Rockville and Gaithersburg now. Pricey, I pick a couple up for kids, > $3 for two. They are good though..

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Hasn't happened with mine whether Norma new 9.3x57 cases or reformed 8x57.
    Are you pushing the shoulder back when resizing?
    I've only gotten donuts when necking down, like 7x57 to 257 roberts or 30-06 to 270. Then I had to ream the necks.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Great pics! Nicely done guys. I should have known.....

New Norma brass with 9.3x57 headstamps.

After firing the shoulder was moved back/down about 0.005” from my full resize.

I didn’t notice any difficulty chambering, but the Mauser 96 cocks on closing so it might have been masked by that. I will load a few more new brass and load without the firing pin to see if there is resisitance.

After full length resizing the once fired brass again, the donuts are gone but I can see that the excess brass may have migrated to the base of the necks. Should I just turn the outside of the necks?

Thanks

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    York PA?

Duck Donuts from OBX is in Rockville and Gaithersburg now. Pricey, I pick a couple up for kids, > $3 for two. They are good though..

They are good, but man, they just have to get more efficient at making them. Watching folks squinting at order printouts and figuring which hand-crafted "artisinal" donut to make next, refilling glaze pots and groping for toppings is a painful thing to watch. If there is any kind of line in the store, I drive by. Waiting half an hour for a dozen doesn't work for me.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Good idea. If you remove the cocking piece/firing pin assembly from the bolt you should get a true feeling on how they are chambering.
    You may have pushed them back too far. Most of the Husky 96 based rifles have a loose or maximum measurement chamber. Neck size to the fire-formed shoulder and you will be fine.
    I hate to suggest another forum, but Gunboards has a Swedish Civilian Rifle forum that has a long sticky on reloading for the 9.3 x 57.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom