• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That holster you're using is not much better than the cheap Uncle Mike's holster I have. I used the same one ADR posted to carry my GP100 when I shot IDPA with it, plus I had two speed loader holders on the belt.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If your 4" K Frame feels too heavy, this guy used to recommend Triactin for fast relief

IMG_0804.JPG

Triactin like a Man

:D

Now as other's have recommended, get yourself a good quality 2 or 2.5" leather belt. Those "tactical belts" made from ballistic nylon or aircraft cargo/seatbelt straps are too soft. Once you have a good foundation then find the right holster for your style and needs.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    When AA county had their revolvers, my Dad used a holster attached with a swivel and had a snap to keep it "locked" straight. When you sit down you would un snap it to allow it hang or easily stay along your thigh on the car seat when driving.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    If your 4" K Frame feels too heavy, this guy used to recommend Triactin for fast relief

View attachment 203612

Triactin like a Man

:D

Now as other's have recommended, get yourself a good quality 2 or 2.5" leather belt. Those "tactical belts" made from ballistic nylon or aircraft cargo/seatbelt straps are too soft. Once you have a good foundation then find the right holster for your style and needs.

:lol:

I carried mine for years in a shoulder rig under a light weight shirt or a jacket when it was cooler.

71ukHKuYvHL._AC_UL320_SR240,320_.jpg

It was actually not really all that bad when carried higher under the arm and close in to the chest.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Now as other's have recommended, get yourself a good quality 2 or 2.5" leather belt"

Even my 2-belt competition speed rigs (major name) don't compare to a heavy layer leather belt through the belt loops. And not all leather gun belts are created equal.

cb51

After moving to Texas in 2015, I've found out that carrying a gun is a PITA. Now I know why all those me I grew up around in D.C. in the 50's carried those little Colt and Browning .25 autos. These days they have little .380's like the Ruger LCP that slip in a pant pocket as easy as the old .25's.

Living in a climate where it's shorts and T-shirt 8 months of the year, I've become a devout believer in pocket pistols.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    After moving to Texas in 2015, I've found out that carrying a gun is a PITA. Now I know why all those me I grew up around in D.C. in the 50's carried those little Colt and Browning .25 autos. These days they have little .380's like the Ruger LCP that slip in a pant pocket as easy as the old .25's.

Living in a climate where it's shorts and T-shirt 8 months of the year, I've become a devout believer in pocket pistols.

This.

When I got my ltc back in october I carried pretty much every time I left the house. It's such a pita that I don't think I've even thought about grabbing my holster since January or so...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This.

When I got my ltc back in october I carried pretty much every time I left the house. It's such a pita that I don't think I've even thought about grabbing my holster since January or so...

I (and a few others)have been saying this here for many years.
    Maryland residents mostly have out of state permits. They carry when they rarely go out of state, so they are still "dumb and happy" to carrying.

Those who carry "full time" start out preaching IWB! Appendix carry! start to realize that it sucks and venture out to OWB holster carry because it's more comfortable. And is the best comfortable carry option still.

Then after a good bit their activities dictate when they carry. Beach, daytime active activity stuff, gun not so much. Then it turns into throwing it in your laptop backpack, etc... when you are going to and from a static location, i.e... sitting at starbucks, library, etc... and back to home.

I cannot remember after what year full time carry became a PITA to me. the first full one maybe? I was a young buck Texas Deputy. But 15 years of lugging a 229 5 days a week for 8 to 20 hours a day, really, really sucked major ass.

I HATE kydex IWB holsters. But Bladetech makes a decent,thinner one for Glocks. My G43 is in one and that set up resides in my CCW laptop backpack. I also have one for the G42. That one goes in my waistband when I feel like carrying.

Smaller and thinner guns definitely become the rule.

cb51

Maryland residents mostly have out of state permits. They carry when they rarely go out of state, so they are still "dumb and happy" to carrying.

Those who carry "full time" start out preaching IWB! Appendix carry! start to realize that it sucks and venture out to OWB holster carry because it's more comfortable. And is the best comfortable carry option still.

Then after a good bit their activities dictate when they carry. Beach, daytime active activity stuff, gun not so much. Then it turns into throwing it in your laptop backpack, etc... when you are going to and from a static location, i.e... sitting at starbucks, library, etc... and back to home.

I cannot remember after what year full time carry became a PITA to me. the first full one maybe? I was a young buck Texas Deputy. But 15 years of lugging a 229 5 days a week for 8 to 20 hours a day, really, really sucked major ass.

I HATE kydex IWB holsters. But Bladetech makes a decent,thinner one for Glocks. My G43 is in one and that set up resides in my CCW laptop backpack. I also have one for the G42. That one goes in my waistband when I feel like carrying.

Totally this^^^

I hate inside waistband carry. I've tried it with my Glock 26 and it was very uncomfortable. I find anything IWB. I've got some loose fitting baggy fishing shirts from Columbia that with an OWB high ride holster, my Glock gets concealed pretty good. But after a few hours it still is not that comfortable.

I have a very strong hunch that in the old days, when people could carry whatever they wanted, there was a good reason small pocket guns like derringers were always a good seller. Think abut that for a moment. Colt .45 revolvers were around, as were S&W and other revolvers that were a very good self defense tool. But the old Sharps 4 barrel derringers, pepper box's, and the iconic Remington double barrel derringer were popular for a long time. After the turn of the century, the little Colt, Browings, and other small pocket autos were popular.

Ugly truth is, as much as we love our guns, carrying them around with us is a huge PITA. Even without the frock coats and suits they wore long ago, in our casual under dressed era, a small pocket size pistol is still the easier way to go. That little Secamp or LCP in a pocket, or even a NAA mini .22 is better than the 9mm back home.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Pancake holster, with 2 loops, sometimes 3 to adjust angle of carry, made to fit that particular gun and a sturdy garrison belt (pants belt), no flimsy cloth or thin leather, and you will be fine.

I like the Galco Fletch holsters, as they work well for revolvers; I often carry my Smith Model 66 in one, no problems. I also use a Bianchi pancake for my Smith Model 27, a N-Frame, with no problems.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/fletch-high-ride-belt-holster_8_4_1118.html

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    A pancake style holster will allow the revolver to ride higher and more secure. A good belt as stated above is also very important.

Good luck

Jerry

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

Iwb sucks. Especially with spare tire syndrome.
    Almost impossible for me to conceal an owb and I'm not a fan of open carry so....

When it's cool enough out to wear pants sometimes I'll go with the ankle holster just because. Even though that should be secondary, it's better than nothing I suppose.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I carry every day :D I gave up on IWB, OWB, UTB, whatever. Even a 2" Model 10 is too heavy to carry every single day. A small .38 revolver or flat, single stack 9mm in a pocket is better than your Wondernine sitting in your house. Do what you want. I'm heading out to the 7-11 for some Kodiak, with my Cobra in my front pocket and two speed loaders in my cargo pocket.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I carry every day :D I gave up on IWB, OWB, UTB, whatever. Even a 2" Model 10 is too heavy to carry every single day. A small .38 revolver or flat, single stack 9mm in a pocket is better than your Wondernine sitting in your house. Do what you want. I'm heading out to the 7-11 for some Kodiak, with my Cobra in my front pocket and two speed loaders in my cargo pocket.

I sold my lcp before I got my ltc in anticipation of getting an lcp2. Still haven't bought one for the pocket...

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    When I carried my Mdl 19-4, it rode at 4:00 in a Bianchi hi-ride thumb-break pancake holster. (Forget model number/name.)
    It rode quite high, and had a forward rake.
    Wearing a "camp shirt", this grand ole revolver disappeared. Granted, when I carried this, I was a LOT smaller around the middle.

The oversize "target" stocks (originally rosewood) were removed and Pachmayr stocks were installed.
    (The open backstrap, finger-groove stocks helps make the butt a LITTLE smaller.)

I too, HATE IWB carry! My pants size is large enough, without having to go up in size, to accommodate a pistol! (Also, I can't carry "appendix carry" because anything that I carry there, automatically becomes a "flap holster".)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'll fully agree with blaster except thanks to the clipdraw I love IWB carry......I forget the 43 exists lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom