• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    AA Tool had a point, seperate from the automation issue .

If an employer will have to pay $15 , they will want to get meaningful bang for the buck .
    $15 will intice current workers with decent 40hr gigs to pick up some side action , and college students working part time with good job histories to expand their part time . Actual underclass looking to break in with starter job will find stiffer competition for those fewer jobs .

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    True. There's also cola, flight, combat, etc., which can be substantial for those who receive them.

Worst-case might find a single E-1 in the barracks (or worse), on a cot (or worse), with a meal card (or worse). A typical combat day (call it day 1), the E-1 might have only a poncho for a bed (in a trench), a couple of MRE's (maybe three), and 2 quarts of 100-degree water. On day 2, our E-1 is back in a trench with a poncho, now with no food (it's coming though), and no water (it's coming too, on the truck with the MREs).

The US military has a long history of feeding and housing service members. I consider BAH and BAS to be benefits, exceptional when present, but absent in some cases too. It would be difficult to valuate military benefits without considering times of deprivation. Didn't want to get into benefits since they vary wildly based on rank, marital status, location, theater ... the topic is a quagmire. Plus, I'm too lazy to research the benefits at Whammy Burger to do the comparison. ;)

I agree that there's a lot of variables, both quantitative and qualitative with regards to military compensation and it's by no means an attempt to lessen the importance of fair compensation for one of the few branches of the government that are actually Constitutionally authorized.

I just think it's a briar patch of imprecise comparisons when it comes to the minimum wage and "military is less than minimum wage" discussions because the compensation is far more reaching than just the base salary.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As we have seen in other cities and counties who have passed similar measures the artificial wage rate usually increases prices for the basic services most in demand for the very low income persons that the laws are supposed to benefit. Food service, childcare, store clerks ect cost increases are directly passed on to the low income customers.

One of those laws of unintended consequences.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No, no, no. That actually has some sense behind it (albeit in an "COMMUNIST" world.)

MoCo is more like:
    "From each according to his ability; to each according to some arbitrary-but-trendy rules the ruling-elites voted on after reading about them in People magazine."

Oh, and "Damn the consequences! Full speed ahead!"

FIFY

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If McDonalds threatens to automate it's stores in MoCo in response to an increase in minimum the knee-jerk reaction of MoCo will be to tax automation or mandate a certain level of employment for "safety".

Ultimately, an increase in MW is just an increase in revenue collection. I guess all of their focking redlight/speed cameras aren't collecting enough. Yet another place I'm not going to spend any time I don't have to in.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I agree that there's a lot of variables, both quantitative and qualitative with regards to military compensation and it's by no means an attempt to lessen the importance of fair compensation for one of the few branches of the government that are actually Constitutionally authorized.

I just think it's a briar patch of imprecise comparisons when it comes to the minimum wage and "military is less than minimum wage" discussions because the compensation is far more reaching than just the base salary.

Agreed.

And ironically, even though the forecast low is in the teens Friday night at the undisclosed location, planning to camp low tech, sleep in a fart sack, food much like MREs on the menu, and I won't feel deprived one bit. :)

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Did Monkey County also change their tax law to make the first $30K of income tax free?

If not, why not? That would be equivalent to $15/hr on a 2,000 hr work year.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Agreed.

And ironically, even though the forecast low is in the teens Friday night at the undisclosed location, planning to camp low tech, sleep in a fart sack, food much like MREs on the menu, and I won't feel deprived one bit. :)

I fear that I am grounded until spring as far as cabin visits. :sad20:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    McDonald's has almost finalized their automated fast food joint. They said they would implement it wherever they raised the mandatory wage to $15. I got this from a store manager, I have not tried to vet it.
    Order accuracy and customer satisfaction will increase as a result.

I hate self checkout, but I hate incompetent people even more.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    A person absolutely can be a "better employee" than another person. When you raise the minimum wage to a level that exceeds the current pay of the supervisors there will indeed be massive job cuts. The folks that will keep jobs are those that have the skill level, knowledge, and experience to do their own job as well as take up some slack for others. The people the law is intended to help will be hurt the most. A business more than doubling it's fixed costs in just a few years will have to far more than double its prices in the same time period just to remain viable. A business with far more than doubled prices will see a massive decrease in revenue and profit. People will make their burgers at home rather than pay $12 for a kids meal at McDs. Instead of more than doubling prices the business will be forced to automate to keep costs low. The people demanding the shiny new raise to $15 per hour who have little to no skills will be jobless before they ever get a paycheck at the new rate.

Keep in mind these are Democrat ideas and policies. This is likely not an unintended consequence. This is likely designed specifically for the purpose of creating another generation of government dependents. In other words Democrat voters...

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I was specifically referring to union wage rates. Most are set at a certain $/hr rate above MW. When MW goes up so do these wages and as such so does the Prevailing Wage on county construction projects.
    Union's... typically another reliable Democrat demographic.

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    The McDonalds in Westminster has the self serve checkout, like Wawa. McDonald's is preparing for the time when they will need fewer employees.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    It will be interesting to see what happens here in MoCo. Seattle started the $15 minimum wage policy a few years ago with mixed results. If cost living goes up in response to higher payroll expenses, the end result would seem like a pay cut for higher earners and a net zero gain for the minimum wage employees.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    A person absolutely can be a "better employee" than another person. When you raise the minimum wage to a level that exceeds the current pay of the supervisors there will indeed be massive job cuts. The folks that will keep jobs are those that have the skill level, knowledge, and experience to do their own job as well as take up some slack for others. The people the law is intended to help will be hurt the most. A business more than doubling it's fixed costs in just a few years will have to far more than double its prices in the same time period just to remain viable. A business with far more than doubled prices will see a massive decrease in revenue and profit. People will make their burgers at home rather than pay $12 for a kids meal at McDs. Instead of more than doubling prices the business will be forced to automate to keep costs low. The people demanding the shiny new raise to $15 per hour who have little to no skills will be jobless before they ever get a paycheck at the new rate.

Keep in mind these are Democrat ideas and policies. This is likely not an unintended consequence. This is likely designed specifically for the purpose of creating another generation of government dependents. In other words Democrat voters...

Don't forget MD's 6% sales tax on prepared food. The higher the wage, the higher the prices, the more sales tax collected. And that doesn't go away when automation forces layoffs because the sunk cost of automation only offsets the cost of higher wages, not higher prices.

Yet more proof that MD DemocRATs could give a rats ass about low-skilled labor's 'living wage' as long as they can keep the taxes rolling in.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    Funny how the County Council is worried about the minimum wage but they still treat their own employees like s**t....weird.

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    Anyone who's studied Economics could see the amazing amount of inflation this is going to cause. Can't these fools on the County Council look up "wage price pressure". Say good bye to the dollar menu.

They are going to make the lowest earners tread water with an imaginary raise. Nothing better than making more money while your buying power remains the same.

If you raise the minimum wage by 30% and end up raising the cost of living by 30% who have you really helped?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Anyone who's studied Economics could see the amazing amount of inflation this is going to cause. Can't these fools on the County Council look up "wage price pressure". Say good bye to the dollar menu.

They are going to make the lowest earners tread water with an imaginary raise. Nothing better than making more money while your buying power remains the same.

If you raise the minimum wage by 30% and end up raising the cost of living by 30% who have you really helped?

They just helped the tax man himself... or so they think. fewer working = less overall tax revenue. but politicians are always optimist on tax projections. just ask O'Malhead about the millionaire tax

When I first moved to Maryland in 1998, my employer (Dennis- Aquarium Center in Randallstown) used to pay HS students $8-9hr. His reasoning was that one $9hr employee is better than two $6hr employees.
    There was never a shortage of hard working teens trying to get a job. The slackers were rapidly weeded out.
    Any MDS aquarium keepers who were active back then will surely agree his model was a good practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom