• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not by an RSO, But I have been asked if I'm law enforcement or with an agency. :). I don't recall exactly what I was shooting. Probably something suppressed and black. :evilgrin3

"I could tell you...but then I'd have to kill you." ;)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only agencies that needs to see my Form 4 are the IRS or BATF.

That said copies in my range bag and in my phone

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Got checked by a PA Game Commission warden couple years ago at a public range on game lands with an SBR and suppressors. Paperwork was all in order, but he was confused by the fact that my paperwork had three states on them and said "something doesn't look right". Form 4s all had an address from when I lived in VA, and I had two Form 5320.20s, one for permanent address change to MD and then another for SBR transfer to PA for the range trip. After he had about a 20 minute phone call with his supervisor he was satisfied I wasn't breaking any laws. Afterwards he thanked me for my patience and apologized for not being more well versed in the laws concerning NFA stuff.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Got checked by a PA Game Commission warden couple years ago at a public range on game lands with an SBR and suppressors. Paperwork was all in order, but he was confused by the fact that my paperwork had three states on them and said "something doesn't look right". Form 4s all had an address from when I lived in VA, and I had two Form 5320.20s, one for permanent address change to MD and then another for SBR transfer to PA for the range trip. After he had about a 20 minute phone call with his supervisor he was satisfied I wasn't breaking any laws. Afterwards he thanked me for my patience and apologized for not being more well versed in the laws concerning NFA stuff.

They could have just left you alone if they were a decent person.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have been checked every time when going to MG Nest. they check at the front counter. The guy said they wanted to make sure I was legal and not shooting something that was not registered correctly. Don't mind showing them really, but it can be a pain after a while.

Dave

I have been checked every time when going to MG Nest. they check at the front counter. The guy said they wanted to make sure I was legal and not shooting something that was not registered correctly. Don't mind showing them really, but it can be a pain after a while.

Dave

I wouldn't mind showing it to them either. I can understand and appreciate not wanting to let something illegal be used in their house.

I keep a copy of my stamp in the storage compartment of my Magpul grip.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    That alone disqualifies it from a place I would shoot. It's (IMVHO) akin to asking me why I'm buying subsonics from the counter at Walmart or another LGS.

Nunya bidness. (unless you're from the three letter orgs)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That alone disqualifies it from a place I would shoot. It's (IMVHO) akin to asking me why I'm buying subsonics from the counter at Walmart or another LGS.

I get both sides. I don't like disclosing information people don't need. OTOH, I totally get what the MG Nest is doing. If someone gets caught with an illegal machine gun there, you know it is going to be reported as a place where illegal machine guns thrive.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO

Don't write TMGN off just yet! I've been going there for like 2 years and have only been carded once, and that was about 3 months ago. I think it depends on the person at the counter (or if you the visitor look sketchy (I kid!!))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Don't write TMGN off just yet! I've been going there for like 2 years and have only been carded once, and that was about 3 months ago.

i get it but do they check for illegal drugs, run a background check to see if you're a felon, make sure your tags and vehicle inspections are up to date...

just hate when folks ask for info that really isn't needed by them.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Back in the 90s we were having a machine gun shoot on the farm. Someone called the state police who showed up by the road ( we were back at the pond) they came back and asked us kindly to set down our weapons. They asked who was in charge and I told them I was. The gentleman beside me was a FBI agent. He identified himself to the state police and asked to speak to them. While he was talking to 1 officer. I was asked to show my paperwork to the officer talking to me. The FBI agent told me not to show them anything. And after a few more words exchanged. The FBI agent asked them to leave which they did. That was the closest I came to , to show my paperwork to anyone.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Totally understand why a range employee would inquire to be sure the range is not being used for an illegal activity. Due diligence is a better defense than a blind eye. I have spoken to some owners/ffls who feel they are under the microscope. Besides, as someone wrote, its their property, business, so they make the terms and conditions of use. Shooters don’t have to comply and they can walk away. Its a perfect relationship.

As a former RSO I can tell you that at least at the 2 ranges where I worked we were told NEVER to question anyone about stamps...the only thing we were there for was to keep the place safe...both range owners told us flat out we were not police and it was their job to ask questions...in 3 years I never saw any law enforcement question anyone..and we had plenty of them come use our facilities...

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    In shaking off the last bits of Maryland BGOS, I asked the RSO at a range down here if he needed to see the paperwork on my suppressed SBR. He said, "Nah. I'll take your word for it."

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Its a tax. A luxury tax specifically. It is not a license, permit or anything else. Same response if someone asks to see my 1040EZ.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That's my read as well. It's not a license or a permit. It should be between you and the IRS and BATFE.

Others will of course see it differently, including LE and range employees.

That's fine as well.

GuitarGuy

Nov 1, 2007
    Germantown, MD
    I too was SBR carded at TMGN. It’s their business and I totally understand why they want to be sure the facilities aren’t used by a lawbreaker but I’ll be honest I did take a bit of offense to it given that I’m frequently up there with multiple SBR’s and suppressors and am well acquainted with several of the staff, particularly the owner. I’ll also admit that I politely reminded the particular RSO that it was law enforcement question and therefore outside their lane.

For what it’s worth I think this is largely an experience that is dependent on the personality of the individual you are dealing with. Like it or not some people will go overboard when given the slightest degree of authority. It’s a shame that it happens so frequently among RSO’s as I think it can greatly hurt a business.

I still frequent TMGN and have not had an issue since. Sometimes establishing yourself as a responsible, educated and skilled shooter will pay dividends with staff at ranges that you frequent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom