• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I've hiked just about every trail in the area. Alberton Road trail at Patapsco Valley is pretty cool. There are remnants of a town that was washed away by a flood all throughout the trail. I'd be in for some hiking.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    We just watched "A Walk in the Woods" and now I want to hike the Appalachian trail.

The "A Walk in the Woods" book and the My Way movie with Martin Sheen about the Camino de Santiago got me interested in walking/hiking several years ago. I spent half of 2016 and the start of 2017 training for the 50K one day hike on the C&O. I haven't done much after I did that hike, so I want to get back into it. The Camino is my new goal (France to Spain.)

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    The "A Walk in the Woods" book and the My Way movie with Martin Sheen about the Camino de Santiago got me interested in walking/hiking several years ago. I spent half of 2016 and the start of 2017 training for the 50K one day hike on the C&O. I haven't done much after I did that hike, so I want to get back into it. The Camino is my new goal (France to Spain.)

Thanks for the movie suggestions, I have not seen those. I biked the entire C&O with friends about 7 years ago. I was in running shape, not biking shape. My butt looked like a baboon's @ss and felt worse. Lesson learned.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I would be very much interested in this. Saturday morning would work well for me too.

We just watched "A Walk in the Woods" and now I want to hike the Appalachian trail.

This is actually something I've been thinking about for a while, getting into hiking and backpacking. A few years ago I dreamed about doing overnight backpacking on the weekend as sort of a stress relief and exercise plan. One of my fantasy vacations is to go backpacking in the middle of nowhere by myself. I've got a lot to learn and get in better shape in order to do that.

A little over a year ago , my brother and I went to Texas to meet a gun forum member and his friend . We drove to Oklahoma to hike in and spend 5 days in the wilderness . (Broken Bow area)

We/I had the best time of my life , we took several guns in and ammo , fishing gear . And packed in an area around a lake , it was remote , it was a 45 minute drive off road and an 1 hour plus walk on top of that .

We heard noises and howling at night , it was amazing .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Okay couch potatoes , This Sat. 27th of Jan. I am planning a hike . Can we get a MDS crew together for a hike at Patapsco State Park either location , we just need to see where to meet up at the park .

Let's make it happen .

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Too far to get too plus we have the mountian here for me. I'll toss this out though there is a very active mid Atlantic hiking group on Meetup that you should look into.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Okay couch potatoes , This Sat. 27th of Jan. I am planning a hike . Can we get a MDS crew together for a hike at Patapsco State Park either location , we just need to see where to meet up at the park .

Let's make it happen .

I'm interested. Am I able to bring my dog?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I'm interested... If it's the McKeldin area.

I'm not sure of my availability on Saturday yet though. Will know for sure by Friday.

What time?

And what trail(s) were you thinking of doing? I'm 55 and a little overweight, so I'm more of a "slow and steady"-style hiker. :D

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I'm interested. Am I able to bring my dog?

I'm interested... If it's the McKeldin area.

I'm not sure of my availability on Saturday yet though. Will know for sure by Friday.

What time?

And what trail(s) were you thinking of doing? I'm 55 and a little overweight, so I'm more of a "slow and steady"-style hiker. :D

Yes dogs are fine with me , and walking style will average out with the group we have . It is not a race , as far as time I do like to get an earlier start because then I have the rest of day for other things .

I like to at least be at the location we chose by 8 ish and we can pick Marriotsville or Elkridge both are great hikes . As far as distance and trails we all can agree to mileage I do a minimum of 3 plus miles and I am willing to do 6 or more if needed . The walk is not written in stone and we can adjust accordingly .

Sorry I did not respond last night but I am a early to bed early to rise guy .

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I've got to get some hours in the car with my son for his driver's license. We're headed to Gettysburg this weekend. I'll try to make it another time.

I like the dog idea. I suppose only on leash? Anyone have experience letting them off leash to run? I know some areas have enforcement in place resulting in tickets.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I've got to get some hours in the car with my son for his driver's license. We're headed to Gettysburg this weekend. I'll try to make it another time.

I like the dog idea. I suppose only on leash? Anyone have experience letting them off leash to run? I know some areas have enforcement in place resulting in tickets.

I have not seen any Rangers on trail , i have seen a couple off leash but most on leash .

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Ok, I'm in. Here's the Park Pet Policy:

http://dnr.maryland.gov/Publiclands/Pages/pets.aspx

Park Rules
    All pets must be licensed and have all required vaccinations, including a rabies vaccination.
    Pets must be leashed. Pets may be off-leash and under voice control while swimming in designated areas or hunting (with the appropriate permit).
    Pet owners must clean up after their pet. Waste disposal containers are available in most areas.
    Service animals are permitted in all pedestrian areas.
    Pets, with the exception of service animals, are not allowed in park buildings.
    Pets, with the exception of service animals, are not allowed in playgrounds.
    Pet owners must obey all park signs that prohibit the entry of pets into specific areas.
    Excessive barking is not permitted in any park area, especially during campground "quiet hours" (10:00 p.m.- 7:00 a.m.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom