• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Never tried nail polish, I use model paint (Testors model paint). Apply it heavy, let it dry for about 15 mins or so, then carefully wipe the surface with a business card or old credit card (something stiff that will just take the excess off). It will smear around a bit, but let it dry for about an hour then take a cloth (like an old t-shirt) and I wrap that tight across the edge of the credit card I used, dampen it with mineral spirits and lightly clean it up. Let it dry overnight and repeat that cleaning to remove any ghosting of paint. Works great, holds up well.. ;)

This +1. I've used Testors paint with good success as well.
    6141208104dde3fd62c2e5c09a5dcfb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Try thinning the nail polish before applying, it'll flow better and be easier to clean up off the raised surfaces... same if using Testors or other paints.
    Not necessary. Clean with alcohol, apply paint, remove paint with hoppes #9

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Here are my 1st two crayon color fills, used crayon because the seekins roll mark had a huge void and figured the wax would hold up better under shooting and cleaning.

n1xwYjz.jpg

Here is my M&P9 with a gray color fill using model paint and the method I used above.

dvYeSaL.jpg

Here are more model paint color fills, thanks for making me go through my storage I found 7 stripped lowers and one partial assembly :evilgrin3

rbUDCn2.jpg

JqEra0m.jpg

qVNvaow.jpg

xPDc1Nz.jpg

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    My first attempt at a color fill on my Glock 20sf. It came out surprisingly well. I used some >$2.00 enamel paint from Wal-Mart
    9ff4b4e974e3627af2c442e03086e6ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I have had excellent results with nail polish, it dries fast, is durable, and cleans up easy with nail polish remover.

I usually apply enough nail polish to completely fill the engraved areas, then allow it to dry for a half hour or so (you can let it dry longer too) then carefully remove the excess with nail polish remover and a Q-tip.

It takes a little patience and practice to get just right, but it's worth the effort, and if you make a mistake just start over, once you get the hang of it you can usually finish a Glock slide in under an hour, more complex projects like AR lowers will take longer...

Attachments

• DSCF1946.jpg
      DSCF1946.jpg
      91 KB · Views: 253
    • DSCF1813.jpg
      DSCF1813.jpg
      77 KB · Views: 294

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Far more durable than nail polish or model paint is Porcelain Appliance Touch Up Paint.
    Prep the surface inside the lettering/design with acetone or brake parts cleaner. Apply the same way as paint or nail polish is in the YouTube videos.
    I use a plastic card or Popsicle stick to scrape it off the high areas a few minutes after applying it when it has "flashed off" a little bit. Then wipe the areas to clean it off of with cleaning patches damp, not wet, with acetone or other paint solvent.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    color filled firearms

wow all of you have some awesome looking jobs done on your firearms. damn. I need to do this, as well.

I did see online someone did something like a shadowed air brushed look on a couple Umbrella lowers. I see red paint in the background but swear on one site they said they used one of those little air brushes. I have a Spikes Crusader lower that I would love to outline with gold, make the cross red but also paint the shield white. The shield is not rolled in but on the surface, itself. Anyone paint on the lower itself with good results? How do you keep it on when cleaning?

Here is a pic from online on the Umbrella lower air brushed. Perhaps I am wrong on surface painting.

Attachments

• umbrella corp painted lowers.jpg
      umbrella corp painted lowers.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 161

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads